updated tat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
nanasue

Re: updated tat

Post by nanasue » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 am

OK, we'll probably try that this weekend.... Uh, how do we make plastic wrap stay put? My experience with it is that it only sticks to itself, generally speaking.
"I tawt I taw a Twabitat."

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 am

OK, we'll probably try that this weekend.... Uh, how do we make plastic wrap stay put? My experience with it is that it only sticks to itself, generally speaking.

Our gauge is on a "billboard" my son made out of plastic canvas and a millet holder that we don't use for my mother's parakeet. It sits at roughly the center of the tat, and about 3" off the substrate. Trying to guess where the hermies spend most of their time is a little difficult as they have several hideouts/ hangouts/ stay-away-from-me places.

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 am

Our gauge is on a "billboard" my son made out of plastic canvas and a millet holder that we don't use for my mother's parakeet. It sits at roughly the center of the tat, and about 3" off the substrate. Trying to guess where the hermies spend most of their time is a little difficult as they have several hideouts/ hangouts/ stay-away-from-me places.

TheLilMommaB

Post by TheLilMommaB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:22 am

I put plastic wrap flat on the screen then taped along the 2 long sides with painters tape leaving the 2 short sides untapped so i could lift them if humidity went to high. Also I used the painters tape so it wasn't so sticky that I couldn't get it off if I needed to change it for some reason

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 6 purple pincher hermit crabs, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5, hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 gold fish, and 1 bone headed pittbull.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am

If your lid is a flat piece, you can just roll it around mummy style until it sticks
If it is shoebox lid style... Swap it out for something flat and heavy and wrap mummy style as above
Just a quick, temporary fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:21 pm

You can also cover the lid with foil. I hate messing with plastic wrap, and I did for a while but I hate how it feels when it gets wet from the humidity. Maybe I'm just weird. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Has anyone ever tried using weed block to cover their mesh lid? I have it covering my tank right now till my mesh lid gets in (I had no faith that just plastic wrap could stand up to little pinchers). It keeps the heat and humidity in and bc it covers the entire top no fruit flies have been able to get in either.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

4happycrabbers

Post by 4happycrabbers » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I used plastic wrap for a while but was having the same problem (never stays put) I bought 2 - 11x14 pieces of Plexiglas from home depot for $4 each and lay them on the mesh screen I have found it works as good as plastic wrap, doesn't "fly away" and cause conditions problems and you can see through it much better especially at night for better crabbler viewing 8)

Great $8 purchase!
Under our roof we have: 2 moms, 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 bear/dog, and 5 crazy crabblers. Rainbow (benevolent overlord) Paulie (tree dweller) Calico jack (treasure hunter) Peg leg (finally has all his leggs) and Ann bonnie (the baby)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm

That's a great idea @4happycrabbers you can even clip/tape that together to form a solid piece! Wish I'd thought of that!

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:20 pm

we are going to go with the hinged glass lid to keep in humidity.

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Ok, well still no glass lid. That is on the list with next money this Saturday. We are also going to try making a second DIY humidifier, with a larger pump to see if that helps. If this helps, but isn't quite enough, we plan to upgrade the pump on the old humidifier to a larger one as well.

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm a total spaz, and I'm always worried that my crabs won't be able to dig around the shell shop enough (small shells trapped, etc). What's the best set-up for one?
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer