I got my hands on a 55 gallon tank!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
parker_roo

Re: I got my hands on a 55 gallon tank!

Post by parker_roo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Alright, here are the pics! Again, I haven't had too much time so I don't think I am finished with all the arrangements of the tank yet, but this is what I have.

Filling up the tank with sand and eco earth.

And now the (mostly) finished product!

Right side.

Middle and left side.

And now pictures of my adorable babies! (Sebastian, Harold, and Maude)

Here is Harold!

And his best friend Maude!

And king of the tank, Sebastian!

Harold and Maude Image

And this is my poor Marcel. He is weak from a bad molt, but he is getting stronger every day and gaining color back, I'm taking care of him to make sure he will make it, which I have no doubts that he will regain his strength and pull through!

And this is the last picture, I promise (well, maybe...) but this is Harold taking a nap resting between cholla wood and a fake plant, haha!

I am extremely happy that I got that tank finished, because my crabs seem to be a lot happier! They are always active! Every time I walk into my room, I see at least someone exploring, eating, or just crabbing around! I hope you guys like the pictures!

*let the crabby adventures begin*
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Wow! That was worth the wait as it turned out beautifully. Really nice use of color. Love the crabs and their shell choices...always so refreshing to see crabs choosing something other than good old green turbos!

That last shot of Harold napping wedged between the cholla and a plant is a hoot! I love when any mine do that and will watch for a long time to see if he slips (only Big Enzo does) but then I'm easily amused :D .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

marandashermies

I got my hands on a 55 gallon tank!

Post by marandashermies » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 am

LOVE the set up!! Great use of space and so natural! That little white crab is adorable! Is he just that white from the bad molt? Is he a PP? Very nice I bet your loving it! It looks really big for a 55g, looks more like a 75g! Thanks for posting pics, your babies are gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 am

Crabinski wrote:Wow! That was worth the wait as it turned out beautifully. Really nice use of color. Love the crabs and their shell choices...always so refreshing to see crabs choosing something other than good old green turbos!

That last shot of Harold napping wedged between the cholla and a plant is a hoot! I love when any mine do that and will watch for a long time to see if he slips (only Big Enzo does) but then I'm easily amused :D .
Thank you! And I also love the different shells they choose, only if they would stop changing into each other's shell every once and a while to stop my confusion! And these hermit crabs never fail to amuse me!
marandashermies wrote:LOVE the set up!! Great use of space and so natural! That little white crab is adorable! Is he a PP? Very nice I bet your loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And thank you as well! I found those fake plants at Good Will for about $5! And there is still a whole bag full of the ones I didn't use, it was a great find! And yes, he is a PP, but I think he came up early from a molt so he is more pale than usual, but he is slowly regaining some color. You're also right, I am loving it! I'm so glad I finally got this darn thing set up!

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Great pics! Everything is beautiful, beautiful tank, beautiful crabs, beautiful fashion choices of the beautiful crabs. I LOVE that pic of Maude! So pretty.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:31 pm

That is a great set up. I love it all and will definitely imitate a couple of your designs. :banana: Your crabs look so happy in there and hey there imo there is no such thing as too many pictures. :D

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:33 pm

landlubber wrote:Great pics! Everything is beautiful, beautiful tank, beautiful crabs, beautiful fashion choices of the beautiful crabs. I LOVE that pic of Maude! So pretty.
Thank you! I have to give the credit of a great pictures to my awesome phone, which has a great camera on it! I love taking pictures of my crabs with it, the pics end up turning out really well most of the time. I'll make sure to tell my crabs about your compliments you gave them! Maybe it will make them not as annoyed with me when I take those pictures. They tend to be camera shy at times.

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Kittykimbro@att.net wrote:That is a great set up. I love it all and will definitely imitate a couple of your designs. :banana: Your crabs look so happy in there and hey there imo there is no such thing as too many pictures. :D
Thanks! I'm glad you and everyone are liking my tank! It's nice to get more than just one person to see my accomplishment! And yes, I will agree with you, there is no such thing as too many pics, especially on the HCA! I love seeing everyone's pictures so much!

grain190

Post by grain190 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am

Your set up is amazing!! I LOVE it! I have a question though, how do you clean your pools? I see that they are in the sand, do you just pull them out to clean them and change the water, or ??

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:08 pm

grain190 wrote:Your set up is amazing!! I LOVE it! I have a question though, how do you clean your pools? I see that they are in the sand, do you just pull them out to clean them and change the water, or ??
Thank you! And yes, every two to three days I have to pull each pool out, empty it and rinse the container and rocks, and then put them back in the tank and fill them again. It does get annoying having to do it each time, but I have to keep the water fresh to make my little guys healthy and happy!

grain190

Post by grain190 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:04 pm

OK, thanks! :) I have had my hermies for 10 years, but now I am down to just 1 and I'm trying to decide if I should get more or not. I feel bad for the little guy because he is alone for the first time in so many years. So, I'm looking at different set ups to figure out what to do with mine if & when I do get new ones

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:35 pm

grain190 wrote:OK, thanks! :) I have had my hermies for 10 years, but now I am down to just 1 and I'm trying to decide if I should get more or not. I feel bad for the little guy because he is alone for the first time in so many years. So, I'm looking at different set ups to figure out what to do with mine if & when I do get new ones
I'm sorry to hear that! I just had one of my babies pass away a few days ago. I believe it was from a bad molt that had long term affects making him very weak. But I'm hoping you find a good new set up and some friends for your crab. I think you should definitely have fun setting up a new tank and getting some more crabs. I'm thinking of adopting some crabs since I have extra room with a bigger tank. If you have any other questions about my set up, please let me know! I love helping out fellow crabbers!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:51 pm

grain190 wrote:OK, thanks! :) I have had my hermies for 10 years, but now I am down to just 1 and I'm trying to decide if I should get more or not. I feel bad for the little guy because he is alone for the first time in so many years. So, I'm looking at different set ups to figure out what to do with mine if & when I do get new ones
I had one hermie for about a month and then I got him a friend. Now, they're the best of buds! The orig. crab, Buggie, did seem rather lonely all by himself. When I got Violet, Buggie followed him all around the tank. So it seems that hermies do need and enjoy company. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

grain190

Post by grain190 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:22 am

^ Thanks to both of you :) I had 14 hermies that I got 10 years ago, but slowly over the years, they died off. As of last year I was down to just 2. Then the one had a bad molt and lost his big pincher. He held on for a few months after that, and I thought he was going to make it, but unfortunately he passed on and now it is just my one little buddy. I think I will get him some new friends soon though!