Long Overdue Pictures

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Long Overdue Pictures

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 am

Wow; your aussies look better than mine - not to mention the tank it's self!
I'm so happy that you got Darwin some species buddies; how she enjoying the company?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Wow; your aussies look better than mine - not to mention the tank it's self!
I'm so happy that you got Darwin some species buddies; how she enjoying the company?
The new aussies now look much better than I ever expected. They were in pretty rough shape with some damaged and missing limbs when I got them. In the quarantine tank they seemed a bit lethargic, very skittish, and wouldn't eat. All four dug down within hours of being placed in the main crabitat. I fully expected to lose one or two of them during that first molt but they all came up quickly and in excellent condition. Surprised the heck out of me! Now I just wish the larger two crabs, who are in crappy tonna shells, would switch to something new.

Darwin initially checked out the other aussies when they came up from their molts but hasn't shown much interest since then. As always, she's a very busy bee and spends her time climbing, exploring, basking, and eating like a pig.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 am

Darwin initially checked out the other aussies when they came up from their molts but hasn't shown much interest since then. As always, she's a very busy bee and spends her time climbing, exploring, basking, and eating like a pig.
Hmm; this sounds like my usual aussie behaviour... Wonder if it is an aussie thing?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

khs12

Post by khs12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Your straw makes me want to cry because of how GORGEOUS he/she is! Holy cow! I want an exotic sooooo bad but I live in Texas and all the research I've been doing on where to get a blueberry or a viola, even an indo hasnt gone so great.
Mommy of 3 PP crabbies: Nickademus, Izzy, and Patrice.

Topic author
sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:43 pm

aussieJJDude wrote: Hmm; this sounds like my usual aussie behaviour... Wonder if it is an aussie thing?
Having had just one aussie for so long, I've always wondered if her behavior was typical for the species. I've had the four new aussies for about two months now and they all do seem very similar to Darwin in most ways. They're all very enthusiastic eaters. Darwin has always been pretty good about changing to new shells as needed but only one of the new crabs has shown any interest in changing so far and all of them could use a new shell.

Topic author
sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 pm

khs12 wrote:Your straw makes me want to cry because of how GORGEOUS he/she is! Holy cow! I want an exotic sooooo bad but I live in Texas and all the research I've been doing on where to get a blueberry or a viola, even an indo hasnt gone so great.
I have two straws and both are females. The one pictured here is Cardinal. I got her from a local chain, Jack's, four years ago.

Yes, it's definitely much harder to get exotics in the US now than it has been in the past.

khs12

Post by khs12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 pm

sugarselections wrote: I have two straws and both are females. The one pictured here is Cardinal. I got her from a local chain, Jack's, four years ago.

Yes, it's definitely much harder to get exotics in the US now than it has been in the past.
Gah I LOVE em! So jealous. I just spent 15 minutes looking for any sites that sell any exotics whatsoever and all are out of stock. :( If you ever decide to breed your exotics and they make it through, I will be your first buyer!!!Lol!

Topic author
sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:47 pm

I don't have the setup for raising hermit crab babies. I've had females of various species with eggs over the years but I never try to raise them.

khs12

Post by khs12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:50 pm

sugarselections wrote:I don't have the setup for raising hermit crab babies. I've had females of various species with eggs over the years but I never try to raise them.
Ah well, I am still jealous of your babies.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:22 pm

khs12 wrote:Your straw makes me want to cry because of how GORGEOUS he/she is! Holy cow! I want an exotic sooooo bad but I live in Texas and all the research I've been doing on where to get a blueberry or a viola, even an indo hasnt gone so great.
I've been adopting crabs for a year in DFW and not once even seen an E.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

khs12

Post by khs12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:54 pm

soilentgringa wrote: I've been adopting crabs for a year in DFW and not once even seen an E.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I'm over in the Houston area and craigslist has NOTHING, all of the Hermit Crab sites like Live Hermit Crabs , Reptile City, etc are all out of any of the kinds I want. Although, Live Hermit Crabs does have an Aussie available but that's not really want I'm looking for. We don't have many local pet shops in Kingwood either.

lefty

Post by lefty » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Very gorgeous crabs your pictures are fantastic
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:29 pm

WOW that is beautiful! All of your crabs are so cute! I would love to have all different species like that, but you can only buy PPs here. Everything else has to be flown in, which I recently did with my two straws. Such Adorable crabs you have, how fun!
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1