20 gallon project

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.
User avatar

Topic author
Candie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 pm

20 gallon project

Post by Candie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 am

Finally I get to set up my 20 gallon after school, so excited to finally get it all together. I have some 2nd levels in there now just to plan it out but I have to take them out to wash them, I made some awesome pools Sunday so the silicone is cured. I will update as I go along with it, you guys can give me suggestions on your guys crabs favorite decoration.
Image one of my little pools, the other is slightly longer but the same style, for some reason the tank has bad lighting because the light for it is on my old tank, Image that will be the Shell shop
Image
Here I plan to have a 2nd level platform that will make a cave for one of the water dishes, still don't know what material I want to use to cover the plastic

User avatar

Topic author
Candie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by Candie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:39 am

Of course there will be 6 inched of dirt I forgot to mention that will make the water dish 3 inches under the platform

User avatar

Topic author
Candie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by Candie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Got it all put together!
Image
Image
Image
Image
For that last picture there is a cave underneath the Shell shop, I'm panning on taking my old water dish pool and putting it in under there and doing an in ground Moss pit, my one crab doesn't like climbing much so I know she will love the in-ground Moss pit, I'm even think on putting a small heater from my old tank by it so it's warm, she loves sitting by the heater even though its perfectly at 84 degrees in there


theornerycheese
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by theornerycheese » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Love what you did with the pool area. :3

User avatar

Topic author
Candie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by Candie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Thank you, I needed deeper pools and the ones at the pet store were expensive so I got out the silicone and had fun

User avatar

frog
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by frog » Tue May 03, 2016 2:28 pm

gorgeous! i love how bright it is
29 gallon tank - 5 Caribbean hermit crabs

User avatar

Hermie225
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by Hermie225 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:56 am

Where did you get that cool green plant stuff that you used on your shell shop? Love your set up very clean and pretty :)

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

User avatar

DarthKrab
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Saint Cloud, MN

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by DarthKrab » Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Hermie225 wrote:Where did you get that cool green plant stuff that you used on your shell shop? Love your set up very clean and pretty :)

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk
I was just wondering the same thing! lol

I love this whole set up :)
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

User avatar

DarthKrab
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Saint Cloud, MN

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by DarthKrab » Fri May 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Also, I'm curious if a glue gun would be safe? I'm not sure that I want to buy caulk and a caulking gun just for one little project hahaha
But I suppose I could always do other projects later on. What kind of caulk do you use? Or is there only one kind? Sorry! Hahaha I don't know anything

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

User avatar

SHERRYCOOPER5
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 am

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by SHERRYCOOPER5 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:27 am

Looks really nice and I really like those pools you made. Thanks for the pics : )
Sherry proud earth mother of:
Tollie-4 yr old Russian Tortoise
Finley-5 yr old Choco Lab
Beau-Male Beta
Betta-Female Beta-not in same tank as Beau
Echo, Mini, Brad (RIP) and Angelina, Pcush-small/ medium PP's

User avatar

marandashermies
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:14 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by marandashermies » Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 am

DarthKrab wrote:Also, I'm curious if a glue gun would be safe? I'm not sure that I want to buy caulk and a caulking gun just for one little project hahaha
But I suppose I could always do other projects later on. What kind of caulk do you use? Or is there only one kind? Sorry! Hahaha I don't know anything

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I believe she said she used silicone, which you can buy at the pet store (more expensive) or else somewhere like home depot. I believe DAP is the name, but as long as it is fish/aquarium safe, you should be fine.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

User avatar

DarthKrab
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Saint Cloud, MN

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by DarthKrab » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 am

marandashermies wrote:
DarthKrab wrote:Also, I'm curious if a glue gun would be safe? I'm not sure that I want to buy caulk and a caulking gun just for one little project hahaha
But I suppose I could always do other projects later on. What kind of caulk do you use? Or is there only one kind? Sorry! Hahaha I don't know anything

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I believe she said she used silicone, which you can buy at the pet store (more expensive) or else somewhere like home depot. I believe DAP is the name, but as long as it is fish/aquarium safe, you should be fine.
Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

User avatar

CrabbyCakes
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:09 am

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by CrabbyCakes » Tue May 10, 2016 7:49 am

@Darthkrab, your pools look amazing! I never would have thought of making a rock slope for them to get out. This is giving me ideas...
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

User avatar

DarthKrab
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Saint Cloud, MN

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by DarthKrab » Tue May 10, 2016 11:55 am

CrabbyCakes wrote:@Darthkrab, your pools look amazing! I never would have thought of making a rock slope for them to get out. This is giving me ideas...
Haha sorry but that wasn't my idea :) I believe @Candie posted those pictures
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

User avatar

CrabbyCakes
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:09 am

Re: 20 gallon project

Post by CrabbyCakes » Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 pm

@Candie those pools are amazing! I am going to have to play around with the idea of rock steps now.

@DarthKrab, clearly I need to work on reading comprehension. :lol: You should have been like "yes, that was totally me."
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Post Reply