Rebuild and move of my 55g.

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
LadyMorrgian

Rebuild and move of my 55g.

Post by LadyMorrgian » Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 pm

So. It's done. I managed to move not only my 40g fish tank but the 55g crab tank from one upstairs apartment to another upstairs apartment all in one weekend. I am exhausted and sore, but so very happy with how things turned out.

The crabs were on the floor at the foot of my bed with miss matched screens wrapped with saranwrap, a towel over that and the lids from 2 totes to cap every thing off.

Now, they have there very own stand that I got from my amazing guys sister. I pumped up my sub. Added 100lbs. Of sand since my ratio was WAY off. Still good, just not what I wanted. I added 5lbs of worm castings and a huge bag of moss threw out. I wanted to add some orchid bark as well, but all the ones I was able to locate had fertilizer and I was uneasy about that. There are still 2 pools deep enough to submerge but they are hidden under the wooden feature piece on the left. Gonna be a big pain to do water dish maintenance, but they are holding the cocomat to the wall in that corner. Btw...I got that at my local plant specialty store, Calloways. $3.99 for 3 feet and its 3 feet wide! This stuff is amazing. It's about 3-4 times thicker than the stuff you get at the pet store. I did a side by side comparison and the pet store mat felt fake, waxy and plastic. There is some bambo canes I got from home depo crossing the back pieces over to a fake coral reef feature I got for $2 at a goodwill. I took the bottom of a water fountain to make the "Shell Bank" as the boyfriend called it. On the right I spread a ton of dry moss as ground cover and sunk a wet moss pit. I also tossed in some Dwarf White Isopods and closed up shop.

My tank parameters have been so much more stable and exactly where I have wanting them. I can even sit down and turn the lofts on and watch them play with out fear of cooking them.

The best part though?
My wonderful amazing guy helped every step of the way. From getting out of my way, to putting a band aid on my finger after I tried to slice it off. He fetched and carried and helped me mix the substrate. Together we created a new home for these guys, in what will shortly be our new home.Image

ImageImage

Ilovehermies74

Re: Rebuild and move of my 55g.

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Looks amazing! I love that last picture of the hermit crab! Very photogenic :P :crabbigsmile:
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Do you mind? I used the last one as a desktop background :P
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Topic author
LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Fri May 20, 2016 1:45 pm

No worries at all. Thank you for the compliment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Where did you get the e?

Topic author
LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Fri May 20, 2016 11:11 pm

I got my E's from a petco in Mesquite Texas. I got 3 but only 2 survived. The one in the Pic is named Vinny. His "brother" is named Darrell

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 20, 2016 11:48 pm

LadyMorrgian wrote:I got my E's from a petco in Mesquite Texas. I got 3 but only 2 survived. The one in the Pic is named Vinny. His "brother" is named Darrell

We got ours at the same Petco! I feel like we've probably established that before too, lol. We still have 3/4.

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 am

lucky my petco or petsmart in minnesota never has equadorians

Topic author
LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Sat May 21, 2016 5:29 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
LadyMorrgian wrote:I got my E's from a petco in Mesquite Texas. I got 3 but only 2 survived. The one in the Pic is named Vinny. His "brother" is named Darrell

We got ours at the same Petco! I feel like we've probably established that before too, lol. We still have 3/4.
I think it was you that that I learned about them being there from lol!