New Crabs

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Sweet Pea

New Crabs

Post by Sweet Pea » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:31 am

I brought four new hermits home yesterday. I got them from a woman who took them in as a rescue. She'd had them for less than a year, and they all did back to back molts when they came into her care. They look to be in great shape. She thought they were all PP, but two of them are very blue, even the antennae. Could they be blueberries?

Here's my tank. Don't get excited at the apparent lack of substrate. What you see along the edge of the tank is potting soil, not the sand/EE mix that they use for molting. It is intentionally kept lower to discourage them from molting in it. Their molting sub is in the basin of the fountain/mountain and is 9" deep. There is also some sub to the right of the fountain/mountain that's available for molting.

All the crabs are hanging out on the right hand side of the tank right now. The tank in a tank on the right is my iso tank. Now that there are more crabs, I'll be filling it with substrate so there is more space available for molting.

marandashermies

Re: New Crabs

Post by marandashermies » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 am

beautiful coloring! hard to tell from that view, but I think that is just a very purple PP. If I remember correctly, Blues have wider eyes and orange antenna.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:36 pm

The blue antennae definitely are interesting.
Violas have orange antennae and black eyestalks. Blues have orangeish joints and antennae.
Can you get pics of the BP while the crab is withdrawn into the shell and front views?
They really do just look like PP's.

Topic author
Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Here he is again.