My tank, some crab pics, bonus cats and lizard!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

jclee

Re: My tank, some crab pics, bonus cats and lizard!

Post by jclee » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Wonderful setup and fantastic critters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Love that tinfoil hat! :hlol:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 am

Wow, goooorgeous tat. How many crabs are in it?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am

Hello again :) I see that Wode explained the difference between FELV and FIV, and the importance of retesting. :) Has Spruce been tested for FIP? That is another one that sometimes gets overlooked. Regardless - I hope that you are able to find answers! :) Good luck! They are all beautiful babies!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:16 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Wow, goooorgeous tat. How many crabs are in it?
Last count was 14 I think...?
GotButterflies wrote:Hello again :) I see that Wode explained the difference between FELV and FIV, and the importance of retesting. :) Has Spruce been tested for FIP? That is another one that sometimes gets overlooked. Regardless - I hope that you are able to find answers! :) Good luck! They are all beautiful babies!
Not sure on that one! Will have to get out her file and check. Husband has gone to most of the appts solo because I work so much. But I will have him ask if she should be tested for that if she hasn't. I hope we can find answers, too. :)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:44 am

FIP sadly cannot be tested for. It is a disease mostly based on ruling out everything else, although when they are sick it is obvious and they go downhill really fast and there is no cure, but it also is not contagious. There are two forms, the dry looks like end stage lymphoma in terms of symptoms and is really hard to diagnose for sure without a necropsy. The wet form causes fluid retention in the abdomen and there are blood markers that signal it, as well as pulling the fluid from the abdomen as it is a distinctive sticky straw colored mess. I don't know for sure if we ever had the dry form before, maybe, but we have lost two to the wet form, Midge two years and and Hanny two months ago. It is unpreventable but fairly uncommon, although more cats up the chances. (Having two that close together is still not normal.) I haven't heard of a cat with FIP with just anemia and no other symptoms, but I'm sure it can happen. If it were one of mine I probably wouldn't even be thinking it, not with how great he looks!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Byram

Post by Byram » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 am

ROSIEonfFIRE wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 am
Hello again :) I see that Wode explained the difference between FELV and FIV, and the importance of retesting. :) Has Spruce been tested for FIP? That is another one that sometimes gets overlooked. Regardless - I hope that you are able to find answers! :) Good luck! They are all beautiful babies!
I love your aquarium setup. It's so easy on the eyes. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Last edited by Byram on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm

wodesorel wrote:FIP sadly cannot be tested for.
To labs that our clinic deals with down here, Idexx and Antech both offer blood tests for FIP.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 am

GotButterflies wrote:
wodesorel wrote:FIP sadly cannot be tested for.
To labs that our clinic deals with down here, Idexx and Antech both offer blood tests for FIP.
There is a test for the coronavirus which is what mutates into FIP, but there is no way to know if it is FIP or just the harmless form, and in some populations 80% or more will have the harmless kind that will never cause problems and will cause a positive result.

We were ready to throw the kitchen sink at Hanny to make sure there was nothing more that could be done, and sadly it was the same advice we had gotten when we were forced to use the clinic two year prior - no test to say for sure, no cure or treatment, and very little is known about the mechanisms that cause it to mutate or how it harms them afterwards aside from the physically observable and educated guesses. It's still a big mystery to vets.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 pm

@GotButterflies @wodesorel am late to the game, but I lost two kitties to FIP, horrible awful disease. And btw it is contagious to some cats (they aren't totally sure what makes them different) but actually after we lost our foster cat and then our kitty me and my mom (who develops medicine) decided to research the disease and try and find a cure or treatment, nothing yet, but we hope to find something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

sort of unrelated to the current convo, but it is relevant to my upcoming project. What is your background made out of in your 120g? It looked like rock but I couldn't tell.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

I just figured out your Youtube channel, and I love the content!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:sort of unrelated to the current convo, but it is relevant to my upcoming project. What is your background made out of in your 120g? It looked like rock but I couldn't tell.
It's a foam rock wall made for a 40 gallon. :D Bought on Amazon. Too expensive though
AwesomeHermit wrote:I just figured out your Youtube channel, and I love the content!
Thanks!! I haven't been active on it in a few years. :o
Crabby since May 2009

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Nice! The crabs don't pick through the foam? Or did you coat it with silicone?

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Mine haven't picked at it, no. But in the past, they picked at the magnaturals I got them which were foam. Probably just a matter of time. :crabbigsmile:
Crabby since May 2009