Added the second level!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Kermie16

Added the second level!

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Early Christmas present for the hermies! Finally got the bottom glass out of the 20g tank, siliconed the bottom plastic guard back on and let it set for about a week until it was fume free. Finally placed on top of 55g tonight!! It’s so much more climbing space! I’m super excited to start rearranging a bit so the hermies can climb more:)Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Added the second level!

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 am

Oooh, fun! I wanna do a topper eventually. :D

Yours looks good!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 am

I would love to do a topper on mine but first I have to get a stand where it's lower to the ground. My 29 sits on my dresser and it is way to high to have a topper. I'd never be able to get in it.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 am

If the budget allows, a nuce converted exo terra tank may be what you need - front opening doors are the best, i love em.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Awesome!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Oooh, fun! I wanna do a topper eventually. :D

Yours looks good!
thank you !!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:I would love to do a topper on mine but first I have to get a stand where it's lower to the ground. My 29 sits on my dresser and it is way to high to have a topper. I'd never be able to get in it.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Yep. I’m kinda in the same boat. I can open the top topper but to reach in I will need a step stool! But I figured most of my work in the tank is on the side without the topper so besides making occasional rearrangements I shouldn’t have to do much on the topper side:)

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Awesome!! :)
thank you!!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:If the budget allows, a nuce converted exo terra tank may be what you need - front opening doors are the best, i love em.

I’m hoping in a few years I will be able to graduate into something like the eco terras! They look pretty awesome!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Kermie16 wrote: I’m hoping in a few years I will be able to graduate into something like the eco terras! They look pretty awesome!

After my last front opening tank, i dont think i would ever go back to the conventional aquarium... they are amazing and allow you to easily get in there without reaching over things - or when rescaping, making sure its aesthetically pleasing.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 am

Kermie16 wrote:Early Christmas present for the hermies! Finally got the bottom glass out of the 20g tank, siliconed the bottom plastic guard back on and let it set for about a week until it was fume free. Finally placed on top of 55g tonight!! It’s so much more climbing space! I’m super excited to start rearranging a bit so the hermies can climb more:)Image

One day in the far far future, lol, I would love to do this. But I can't picture how it's actually done. What is the actual floor of the 2nd level? I know you take the bottom glass out. Then what? Do you have a pic from a top view?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:Early Christmas present for the hermies! Finally got the bottom glass out of the 20g tank, siliconed the bottom plastic guard back on and let it set for about a week until it was fume free. Finally placed on top of 55g tonight!! It’s so much more climbing space! I’m super excited to start rearranging a bit so the hermies can climb more:)Image

One day in the far far future, lol, I would love to do this. But I can't picture how it's actually done. What is the actual floor of the 2nd level? I know you take the bottom glass out. Then what? Do you have a pic from a top view?

I’m just planning on putting in more climbing stuff. I have a whole bag of cholla I got online on Etsy and I plan on zip tying a lot of them together to create more climbing wood for the hermies. Also will hopefully get to use my Magnaturals and a resting ledge and a reptile hammock - all of which I’ve had in storage for a while. Once I get it all together I will make sure to post new pics and I will try to include a top view - I can barely reach the top but will try my best:)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 am

Kermie16 wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

I’m just planning on putting in more climbing stuff. I have a whole bag of cholla I got online on Etsy and I plan on zip tying a lot of them together to create more climbing wood for the hermies. Also will hopefully get to use my Magnaturals and a resting ledge and a reptile hammock - all of which I’ve had in storage for a while. Once I get it all together I will make sure to post new pics and I will try to include a top view - I can barely reach the top but will try my best:)

Ok. Thanks. I think some people have substrate in their 2nd levels and I don't understand how.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:One day in the far far future, lol, I would love to do this. But I can't picture how it's actually done. What is the actual floor of the 2nd level? I know you take the bottom glass out. Then what? Do you have a pic from a top view?

Ok. Thanks. I think some people have substrate in their 2nd levels and I don't understand how.
Yes, I’ve seen that too. I’m not very creative and usually when I try something creative, it doesn’t work out as planned (lol!). So we’re just going to make it simple and basically make it into a bigger playground for them:)

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Ok! Mad rush to get things done before the holidays since temp and humidity have been staying stable. Here are some pics. I got a full tank pic, a close up of the topper decor and a top down view :) Enjoy!
ImageImageImageImage

Oh and if you look closely u can see Mini Pinch in his pearly white shell climbing on the top of the cork round ^_^
Next plans are to make a bigger fresh water pool since our biggest crab, Clare, is starting to outgrow our Tupperware pools! I went to Lowe’s and found some topper holders for $4.00 so got those and I think they will fit perfectly. I plan on siliconing in some river rocks and seashells just like my previous pools:)