Added the second level!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Added the second level!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Ok! Mad rush to get things done before the holidays since temp and humidity have been staying stable. Here are some pics. I got a full tank pic, a close up of the topper decor and a top down view :) Enjoy!
ImageImageImageImage

Oh and if you look closely u can see Mini Pinch in his pearly white shell climbing on the top of the cork round ^_^
Next plans are to make a bigger fresh water pool since our biggest crab, Clare, is starting to outgrow our Tupperware pools! I went to Lowe’s and found some topper holders for $4.00 so got those and I think they will fit perfectly. I plan on siliconing in some river rocks and seashells just like my previous pools:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Very cool!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:Ok! Mad rush to get things done before the holidays since temp and humidity have been staying stable. Here are some pics. I got a full tank pic, a close up of the topper decor and a top down view :) Enjoy!
ImageImageImageImage

Oh and if you look closely u can see Mini Pinch in his pearly white shell climbing on the top of the cork round ^_^
Next plans are to make a bigger fresh water pool since our biggest crab, Clare, is starting to outgrow our Tupperware pools! I went to Lowe’s and found some topper holders for $4.00 so got those and I think they will fit perfectly. I plan on siliconing in some river rocks and seashells just like my previous pools:)

Wow! Very cool!
thank you!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Looking very nice. Cute to see that a crab is already taking some interest to the new space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Love it!! Your set up looks so similar to mine that I had to look twice lol. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 pm

daws409 wrote:Love it!! Your set up looks so similar to mine that I had to look twice lol. Thanks for sharing.

Just a nice case of crtl + c & v...

All jokes aside, this setup works well for a variety of purposes so i imagine that there will be many more similar to come.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 am

daws409 wrote:Love it!! Your set up looks so similar to mine that I had to look twice lol. Thanks for sharing.

lol!! I’m always looking for great sources of inspiration and you’re definitely one of them, @daws409 ^_^ Thank you for always sharing awesome pics and for your great advice!! I would love some of those long wood pieces u have in its but I’m not sure how organic the trees are in my backyard and the prices for the wood at the local pet stores was a bit of a sticker shock. So I bought bulk little chunks of cholla from Etsy and zip tied a bunch of them together. The cork round is supporting it in the middle where it’s a bit floppy.

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 am

aussieJJDude wrote:

Just a nice case of crtl + c & v...

All jokes aside, this setup works well for a variety of purposes so i imagine that there will be many more similar to come.

Baaahahahahaa!!!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:56 pm

I love how it looks. (And hey, zip tying cholla works - I'm sure the crabs are loving it!)

What did you use for the greenery at the back? Are those the plastic plant mats you get at craft shops?

(Also, I enjoy that if is Christmas time again and everyone who did the christmas avatar thing last yeat are again seasonally appropriate. :lol: )
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:52 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I love how it looks. (And hey, zip tying cholla works - I'm sure the crabs are loving it!)

What did you use for the greenery at the back? Are those the plastic plant mats you get at craft shops?

(Also, I enjoy that if is Christmas time again and everyone who did the christmas avatar thing last yeat are again seasonally appropriate. :lol: )
thank you!! The greenery on the back top tank is just the ones u get at Petsmart - the cling one!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am

I’m kinda surprised that the majority of the crabs (5 Out of 6) have yet to climb higher than the top of the bottom tank. I have put pieces of food along the cholla going up as well as the Magnatural and reptile hammock and still only 1 crab - one of our newer ones. Last night I put all of their food in the reptile hammock and still no climbers. Is this odd? Maybe it takes them longer to realize that the tank goes higher??

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 am

Huh... are they just kind of slow & pokey right now?

Some crabs just don't know a good thing when they see it!
:huh::
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Huh... are they just kind of slow & pokey right now?

Some crabs just don't know a good thing when they see it!
:huh::
4 out of 6 have been down for a several days now. Our biggest one Clare JUST found the second level about 2 days ago. Woke up one morning and found her hanging from the top magnatural with the snacks in it! So, guess it will just take some time. She has been down digging during the day and coming up at night. The only other one we have is one of our newbies, Jingle Bell. I think Jingle Bell just likes to stay on the ground floor. His favorite places are in the underground moss pit (probably munching on Marties down there! Lol) and behind the big cork log.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am

ImageImageImageImage

Where do you get your netting? I've tried from a craft store but it had an awful odor so I returned it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
ImageImageImageImage

Where do you get your netting? I've tried from a craft store but it had an awful odor so I returned it.

Hobby Lobby:)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am

Kermie16 wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
ImageImageImageImage

Hobby Lobby:)

Lol. That's where I got mine but it smelled like gasoline.