Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am

Hello :) So I made it to my local aquarium today, and stocked up on some tank decorations that I have been meaning to get for a while. These include a second level, golden vine for climbing and a big climbing vine that goes around the inside of the tank. I also purchased 2 air stones, but they were about 5 cm too big to fit into the bowls, so I’m going to get a smaller size soon. I also added deeper salt and freshwater bowls. Pictures of the tank are attached - suggestions are welcome :)
Image
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 am

Congrats on all the new additions! Have you thought on what your turning the second level into?

Your crabs will love you for the deeper pools, I remember when I upgraded to built in pools back in the day, the crabs all went on a massive swim party!



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Congrats on all the new additions! Have you thought on what your turning the second level into?

Your crabs will love you for the deeper pools, I remember when I upgraded to built in pools back in the day, the crabs all went on a massive swim party!



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have just put some reptile bark in the second level at the moment, but I’m lacking in inspiration about what to turn it into.
I draped some climbing leaves over the pools to act as a way of getting out if they ever get stuck, especially for Oreo because he’s so tiny!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2701
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Angel_crab wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Congrats on all the new additions! Have you thought on what your turning the second level into?

Your crabs will love you for the deeper pools, I remember when I upgraded to built in pools back in the day, the crabs all went on a massive swim party!



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have just put some reptile bark in the second level at the moment, but I’m lacking in inspiration about what to turn it into.
I draped some climbing leaves over the pools to act as a way of getting out if they ever get stuck, especially for Oreo because he’s so tiny!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do a moss pit. 3 of mine, at least 2, sleep in it during the day.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Congrats on all the new additions! Have you thought on what your turning the second level into?

Your crabs will love you for the deeper pools, I remember when I upgraded to built in pools back in the day, the crabs all went on a massive swim party!



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have just put some reptile bark in the second level at the moment, but I’m lacking in inspiration about what to turn it into.
I draped some climbing leaves over the pools to act as a way of getting out if they ever get stuck, especially for Oreo because he’s so tiny!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do a moss pit. 3 of mine, at least 2, sleep in it during the day.
Great idea, thanks! I didn’t think of that! I have a packet of moss looking for something to do, so I’ll be able to add it to the second level.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


AndyCrabby
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 pm

This looks so cool! You have some very lucky hermies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:36 am

AndyCrabby wrote:This looks so cool! You have some very lucky hermies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

leah610
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am
Location: Florida

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by leah610 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm

That vine is huge!!! And I second the moss pit- once you make it, your crabs will probably be stuck to it like glue. Mine are always in and out of their moss pit (the little suckers always make such a mess..) You could also weave some leafy vines or plants within the holes of the second level or around that large vine if you wanted more cover. I can't wait to see any photos of your hermits enjoying their new layout!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm

leah610 wrote:That vine is huge!!! And I second the moss pit- once you make it, your crabs will probably be stuck to it like glue. Mine are always in and out of their moss pit (the little suckers always make such a mess..) You could also weave some leafy vines or plants within the holes of the second level or around that large vine if you wanted more cover. I can't wait to see any photos of your hermits enjoying their new layout!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! That’s such a good idea about weaving leaves into the holes of the second level! I have some spare moss that I’ll be adding to the second level tonight and I’ll be posting some pictures soon of the crabs enjoying their new layout :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2701
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm

leah610 wrote:That vine is huge!!! And I second the moss pit- once you make it, your crabs will probably be stuck to it like glue. Mine are always in and out of their moss pit (the little suckers always make such a mess..) You could also weave some leafy vines or plants within the holes of the second level or around that large vine if you wanted more cover. I can't wait to see any photos of your hermits enjoying their new layout!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've threaded foliage through my 2nd floor. And of course, one of the crabs climbed out to the end of a leaf and fell since it of course had no support under it. I guess that happens to them in the wild too.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
leah610 wrote:That vine is huge!!! And I second the moss pit- once you make it, your crabs will probably be stuck to it like glue. Mine are always in and out of their moss pit (the little suckers always make such a mess..) You could also weave some leafy vines or plants within the holes of the second level or around that large vine if you wanted more cover. I can't wait to see any photos of your hermits enjoying their new layout!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've threaded foliage through my 2nd floor. And of course, one of the crabs climbed out to the end of a leaf and fell since it of course had no support under it. I guess that happens to them in the wild too.
Haha that’s true :) my crabs are always falling off of things but they always seem to land the right way up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6494
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am

That looks awesome! I know someone mentioned weaving foliage into the holes, but I zip-tied vines onto mine. I went to my local craft shop - picked out a nice $20 vine that looked like fern - used a 40% off coupon on it - and cut it to use in a couple of my crabitats. It's way cheaper that way than using things from the pet store. Just make sure the paint doesn't rub off. Make sure it is a plastic plant. You can then drape pieces to the ground and they can climb up that way as well :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 pm

GotButterflies wrote:That looks awesome! I know someone mentioned weaving foliage into the holes, but I zip-tied vines onto mine. I went to my local craft shop - picked out a nice $20 vine that looked like fern - used a 40% off coupon on it - and cut it to use in a couple of my crabitats. It's way cheaper that way than using things from the pet store. Just make sure the paint doesn't rub off. Make sure it is a plastic plant. You can then drape pieces to the ground and they can climb up that way as well :)
Thanks! That’s a good idea about zip tying vines, I don’t have any at the moment, but soon I’ll be going to the pet supply store which has them in stock Image

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6494
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Deeper bowls, golden vine, second level & more

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:37 am

Yw! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Post Reply