Show Me Your Tanks

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Angel_crab

Re: Show Me Your Tanks

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm

curlysister wrote:That vine is incredible - where did you get it??
Thanks! I got it from my local aquarium, but ZooMed also makes the same vine too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 pm

The tank is constantly changing but these are from when I first set up the 70 gallon 5 hermits live here ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am

I am on a mission to find a vine like that now!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:01 am

curlysister wrote:I am on a mission to find a vine like that now!
Reptile vine I got mine at pet super market. Yes they pick at it in certain places but its safe it is very bendy

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am

In a review of the Exo-Terra Jungle vine, one person said that bits and pieces start coming off and that it is not safe for hermit crabs.

The Zoo Med Naturalistic Flora flexible hanging vine doesn't look anything like the ones on this thread - it looks thinner and has smaller 'branches' sticking off it.

I seem to recall having a bendable vine at one time, that seemed like it was covered in a 'foam' like material that fell apart in the heat and humidity and the metal inside was exposed. I don't want that again.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:30 pm

All of the vines are soft squishy material over a metal wire. I would not consider any of them safe for hermits as the texture is the perfect squish to induce picking and eating behaviour, especially with crabs that are bored. A few are supposed to be made animal safe latex, but it's still paint and foam that would not be good for crabs to ingest. I use the Fluker vines (which is what the one abive is) for my crested gecko and like them a lot, but I wouldn't do it with an animal that would be chewing on them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm

wodesorel wrote:All of the vines are soft squishy material over a metal wire. I would not consider any of them safe for hermits as the texture is the perfect squish to induce picking and eating behaviour, especially with crabs that are bored. A few are supposed to be made animal safe latex, but it's still paint and foam that would not be good for crabs to ingest. I use the Fluker vines (which is what the one abive is) for my crested gecko and like them a lot, but I wouldn't do it with an animal that would be chewing on them.
Heehee, squish. I can just see one of my crabs up on the vine going *poke poke* "Oooh, squishy!" :hlol:
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Poke poke ooooh squishy!!

Yeah, I think mine would say and do the same thing. Sigh. I won't be getting them a vine.

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:53 pm

curlysister wrote:Poke poke ooooh squishy!!

Yeah, I think mine would say and do the same thing. Sigh. I won't be getting them a vine.
My crabs are large and healthy I'I've had the vine in my tank a few years now. Everyone has their own experience. I haven't had any

Angel_crab

Show Me Your Tanks

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 pm

curlysister wrote:In a review of the Exo-Terra Jungle vine, one person said that bits and pieces start coming off and that it is not safe for hermit crabs.

The Zoo Med Naturalistic Flora flexible hanging vine doesn't look anything like the ones on this thread - it looks thinner and has smaller 'branches' sticking off it.

I seem to recall having a bendable vine at one time, that seemed like it was covered in a 'foam' like material that fell apart in the heat and humidity and the metal inside was exposed. I don't want that again.
Hi! sorry I thought that the ZooMed vine was similar to the one I had, because at the shop where I purchased my vine from, the ZooMed one was identical - the vine that I got was sort of a “no brand” one. I’ll have a look on the internet and see if there is someone that is selling the one that I have, and I’ll get back to you Image

Edit: also wanted to add that the vine that I have is not made of squishy foam material.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote: How big is your tank? It looks so neat and roomy. Mine looks so crowded.
Thank you! I love the layout of your tank! It’s got a lot of hiding spots and climbing decor for your crabs :) my tank is a 75 gallon.

Thanks! I can't seem to stop putting things in there. And yet even though it's 90 gal it's crowded.
I thought it was a 75.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks! I can't seem to stop putting things in there. And yet even though it's 90 gal it's crowded.[/quote]

I thought it was a 75.[/quote]

I thunk it was angelcrab that said she has a 75. I have a 90 and it's so crowded. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I can't seem to stop putting things in there. And yet even though it's 90 gal it's crowded.

I thought it was a 75.

I thunk it was angelcrab that said she has a 75. I have a 90 and it's so crowded. Lol
The only difference from a 75 to a 90 is 2 inches of height. getting a 120 gives you the same viewing window as the 90, but you get 6 more inches of depth 24 compared to 18. Just something i discovered while trying to figure out what i got off someone from craigslist and figured I'd share. they sold it as an 85 and found that that size really doesn't exist in the realm of standard sized aquariums.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

CrabberCuber wrote: they sold it as an 85 and found that that size really doesn't exist in the realm of standard sized aquariums.
That's because larger tanks don't actually contain the entire gallons they are sold as. Some have smaller dimensions than normal, or by measuring the actual water it can hold it comes out to a lot less than expected due to the thickness of the glass. In many cases people just plug measurements into a calculator when they bought it used and went with that actual measurement, rather than comparing the dimensions to a list of sold sizes which can add sometimes another 20 some gallons that don't actually exist to the label.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

wodesorel wrote:
CrabberCuber wrote: they sold it as an 85 and found that that size really doesn't exist in the realm of standard sized aquariums.
That's because larger tanks don't actually contain the entire gallons they are sold as. Some have smaller dimensions than normal, or by measuring the actual water it can hold it comes out to a lot less than expected due to the thickness of the glass. In many cases people just plug measurements into a calculator when they bought it used and went with that actual measurement, rather than comparing the dimensions to a list of sold sizes which can add sometimes another 20 some gallons that don't actually exist to the label.
Makes sense. My main reason for searching the brand and size was to first, get the right lids (Marineland openings are different from Aqueon for instance), and second, determine weather or not i could drill the bottom. So When I found out it was a Marineland 75 gallon tank, i could go on their charts to see what they used to construct the tank. I found out the bottom was tempered and sides were annealed. going forward, i'm just going to look for the safety etching that is placed on tempered glass. This whole thing has been one massive learning experience and luckily i didn't screw too many things up - a mistake in the wrong place can cost some $$ i don't have, lol.