Show me your crabitats!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

CrabberCuber

Re: Show me your crabitats!

Post by CrabberCuber » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:56 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
CrabberCuber wrote: From what I've seen, read and researched, a lot of the factors to keeping more is making sure they are always fully satisfied in their diet. variety is huge in the area i feel. If they aren't lacking a staple in their diet, they are generally docile and non-aggressive.
I COULDLN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT!!! One of the reasons why I am so conservative is most people don't have the time, or resources to feed a variety diet. Seriously - if you saw what my hermits ate every day you would be amazed. My husband says the hermits eat better that our family does (which isn't - but is true) ;) They get such a variety! I know the couple that you (@CrabberCuber), are referring to - they can do it because they are 1000% dedicated to their hermit crabs - NO JOKE!! They are incredible! Both husband and wife are an amazing duo that live for hermit crabs in general!!! :) I admire them!!
Thank You. Yes, before meeting this couple, I was feeding essentially a bland diet. I feel meeting them has taken this passion and my level of care to the next level.

Previously, I would set it up the same every time. I had a small acrylic reptile food dish and i'd put a small bed of crushed egg shell. Then on top I would put a pinch of trail mix that was mostly fruit and coconut on top and then sprinkle dried red shrimp on that. At the time I just new that the hermit food from the pet stores was bad and i did know what normal hermit eating habits were and sometimes I would see them eating and was happy with that. Then I went on vacation and met with the guy I'd been getting a ton of advice from on reddit. I wanted to see his tanks in person because they looked so amazing online (more so in person) and I had to try and convince my wife that they needed a much bigger tank than a 15 gallon. Long story short, it worked - proof in the pictures! lol. While there he also gave me a TON of good info and supplies, including the cholla wood that's in my new tank. A major part of the stuff he gave me was food. so much variety that I was a bit overwhelmed, but I got it, it clicked, I now understand what is meant by variety. Here are some pictures I took recently after installing my organizer for the food.

https://imgur.com/2yEMLut

https://imgur.com/PEgpPNS

This is the Product; used for keeping your nuts and bolt sorted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P ... UTF8&psc=1

So right now i no longer have the reptile dish, and instead, I have a large clam shell and an abalone shell that act as my food dishes. Every 2-3 days i will pull them out, clean them and then pick like 5 or so random drawers and put a variety out. So across the dishes the hermits have 10-14 different random food items to choose from that's always changing. I only do a pinch of each. I have banana leaves and catalpa leaves scattered on the top of the substrate and two types of moss in their pit. The substrate is also a mix of edibles, oyster shell, assorted crushed beach shells and green sand mixed into the sand coconut fiber mix.

i will tell you, every night around 10pm i can almost guarantee that you see someone eating. seems like they either are eating or hanging out in the shell shop. during the day they sleep in the moss pit. so much more to look forward too now! hence the reason i want to slowly increase the numbers till i have a small colony. I want them to thrive. And I want an active tank of very healthy hermits.
Last edited by CrabberCuber on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Crabs are still opportunistic hunters and if they come across one of their brethren in a weakened state and can steal a meal or a shell they will. There is nothing more nutritionally complete for a hermit than another hermit, and nothing more enticing to wear than a shell already happily occupied - it's just that the majority of the time it isn't worth the potential injury from a fight. No matter how much or little space they are given, or what their diet is, if given the chance they will often take advantage.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:31 pm

I do individual shells filled with food - I find that is easier for me - helps with their instinct of finding food - and the hermit crabs like it :) I am unable to view your pictures. Hmm... I never thought of hermit crabs eating banana leaves. I have a banana tree in my organic garden, and my friend owns 5. All this time I have composted leaves that have broken.

That is a great way to keep your food sorted. That wouldn't work for me! I have four crabitats. I have a crab room very similar to the couple, but my office is in a separate room. I had wondered if you got your cholla from them. They gave me some too. I then turned to Ebay to get more! :) They are amazing, extremely giving, and just want to help crabs! They have been to my house a few times. :)

I agree with Wode that crabs are opportunistic - but if given an ideal environment, exercise and a balanced diet, I think you are less likely to have issues. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm

This is the Product; used for keeping your nuts and bolt sorted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P ... UTF8&psc=1

My husband uses that for screws and stuff. It's a good idea.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 am

GotButterflies wrote:I am unable to view your pictures. Hmm... I never thought of hermit crabs eating banana leaves. I have a banana tree in my organic garden, and my friend owns 5. All this time I have composted leaves that have broken.

I agree with Wode that crabs are opportunistic - but if given an ideal environment, exercise and a balanced diet, I think you are less likely to have issues. :)
I fixed the picture links. Doesn't look like the board supports embedded Imgur links.

As for the Banana leaves, I don't see them gorging on them, but I'm sure they pick at them like everything else in the tank. They look great though on the floor with the catalpa leaves :) The more options i can give the better, imo.

I agree with Wode too. I'm aware nature, as a whole, can always get nasty. We hope this never happens in our personal environments, but know its a reality and can happen. So we work towards avoiding it, but for some reason if it ever does happen, I will do what i can to understand why, and mitigate it going forward, but accept the risk that it could happen. That's what i really love about the aquarium hobby as a whole, each setup is it's own ongoing experiment with reproducing nature the best we can and it can always improve and is super satisfying when you can create something that allows a species to thrive - giving them the ultimate persistent all-inclusive resort!

...I'm going to have to come up with a clever pun-name that mirrors a popular resort, to name my new tank. "Infinite Paradise" might not be fitting enough. lol

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Some beautiful tanks in this thread! Image here’s a recent pic of my 38g* not of the best quality but -

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Hermie225 wrote:Some beautiful tanks in this thread! Image here’s a recent pic of my 38g* not of the best quality but -
Love it!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Hermie225 wrote:Some beautiful tanks in this thread! Image here’s a recent pic of my 38g* not of the best quality but -
Love it!
Thank you! :)