Gearing up for new 29G

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Gearing up for new 29G

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 pm

I really like your stand! There is one we inherited that I am thinking of redoing in a similar fashion if my other half agrees.

Having to remove some moisture from the sub. The condensation won't settle down.

Also boiling cork in saltwater. It was a little too big for the pot. ImageImageImage
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Awesome! Hopefully the sub will settle down and dry out some :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Freckles24 wrote:I love the teal color!! It’s my fave and I’ve painted my night stands in something similar. This is my stand (29g as well). I bought it off Craigslist and painted/ distressed it. It was this ugly cream color with brown knobs and top. Now looking at this picture I’m wondering how the little legs haven’t given out. I have 50 pounds of sand and an unmeasured amount of eco earth in there lol.Image
Image I love the storage of this thing!

I have storage under mine but the openings aren't that wide and there are no shelves, so I can't put much in there. I love your storage.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Lots of hijacking going on in this thread! :hlol:

Here's hoping to the sand drying out some, and the cork bark boiling going well! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Sand dried out too much while I have been messing with this kitten. Image

Started putting stuff in tonight. There is a LOT more to go. Trying to decide if I want to devote that much space to the cork, but it has a 90 degree angle on the back and fits into that corner like it was made for it. I figure she'll have a blast climbing all over it. It's also been salt treated which rules out using it for anything non-crab.

Also trying to find a way to incorporate that big cholla branch into the tank as well. I may end up keeping it for a future project and try to find something skinnier. Or cut it into two and do a climbing ledge on thr back and side. Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 pm

I like it so far! As for the cork, consider lying it horizontally so that way it can be a cave/level... or if some ingenuity, secure it up near the top and form a level cave... if that makes sence?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:50 pm

This is looking beautiful. I'm mad jealous of your clean white and fresh looking sand lol. I especially like the sea fan!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:19 am

JJ, I know exactly what you mean, I did that for my crestie, but this piece is so thick that it ends up leaving only a few inches at the front of the tank amd underneath it. I just love how the top is rolled though so I don't want to give up on it!

Rawrgeous, let me guess, West Coast sand? The color difference always shocked me! The seafan is fake, Imaginarium from Petco. (Possibly also Drs. Fosters & Smith since they merged.) It was only $7 in store!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 am

I'm not sure where it's from. I'm in Nebraska surrounded by farmland so I always have to buy what I can get.. It's always brown and grayish. But if it's just a difference of coast I'm totally planning a mini vacation on the east coast for an excuse to bring back white sand. Just wait till Mr.Rawrgeous hears about this plan. :hlol:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 am

Wow...looks beautiful...and so nice and clean!!! :) Your little rug is going to love it!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

East of Missippi it's usually light sand, Rocky Mountains is darker, and West Coast is almost grey. They mine locally and the sand beds are different due to different base rock across the continent. If you can track down Kolorscape, that is trucked in beach sand and will always be light!

Still playing tonight. I got another new betta... I saw it two weeks ago at Walmart and it was still there today so hubby put it in our cart. Image So I am debating on stealing a few things for the tank I will have to drag out of storage. Of course, I had enjoyed going entirely au naturele with the fish tanks so I'm not sure if I want to use any plastic plants.

Found a shorter and skinnier piece of cholla at the store today. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Wow! Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Updated setup looks fab! Cant wait to see the little one in there.

(Congrats on the new betta as well!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 pm

She's molting, so it'll be about a month. Too much time to keep decorating!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 am

Bah, the line of coral isn't going to work, it's trapping too much heat at the back. 120 is a bit much.