Hermie size ?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Hermie size ?

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:37 am

I just bought small shells ... I felt like he was bigger but maybe not can anyone tell his size ??from the pis ??ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Re: Hermie size ?

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:I just bought small shells ... I felt like he was bigger but maybe not can anyone tell his size ??from the pis ??ImageImageImage

If he is small.now wouldn't he need a bigger shell ... or is small ok ...

p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:18 pm

I would just get some bigger shells and place them in the tank. If needed he would switch by himself.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:35 pm

I would say extra-large, by the time those missing legs grow back.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 pm

wodesorel wrote:I would say extra-large, by the time those missing legs grow back.
I haven't seen extra large I've seen small med and large !

I'll look !!!! Or I'll look online ! They say extra large ??
Only get couple extra large ? Or Couple diff sizes ? ...
Thanks was wondering because his legs didnt look at big as some of the other pics I seen but thought he not a small someone else said he looked small .... I was confused THANKS

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 pm

wodesorel wrote:I would say extra-large, by the time those missing legs grow back.
Actually just bought some small shells but feel like they are wrong.... I put them in the tank ...

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 pm

p2gg86 wrote:I would just get some bigger shells and place them in the tank. If needed he would switch by himself.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
THANKS !!!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Is extra large.... jumbo? Or

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Bigger than large, smaller than jumbo. Probably around a 1 & 1/8 inch turbo opening.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:10 pm

wodesorel wrote:Bigger than large, smaller than jumbo. Probably around a 1 & 1/8 inch turbo opening.
K thanks !
Do they label opening on the packing ....I'll look around tonight.. head out to a store

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I’ve never had luck finding shells larger than half inch or so at any stores, and most of my hermits have (surprisingly quickly) grown out of anything I could find local.
I’ve ordered from Naples seashells online, they have hermit shells listed by opening shape and size and offer ‘small’ and ‘large’ packs with a range of sizes.
I forgot how to link pages here but HCA has a shopping guide with a list of stores.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 pm

I found that crabs end up picking what they want to. We have had small crabs switch into shells 2-3 times larger than we would think they would need. Also large crabs move into smaller shells. I found it is best to order a variety of different shapes and sizes. Our crabs seem to like mostly the green, polished gold mouth, and tapestry turbos. Be sure to get different types of shells otherwise they ALL will change into the same color shells and have a tough time telling them apart.

Here is the link to Naples Sea Shell Company http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermit ... hells.html

They are usually pretty quick with getting orders out, I have received orders between 3-7 days. On occasion with a larger order they threw in a free food shell.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I found that crabs end up picking what they want to. We have had small crabs switch into shells 2-3 times larger than we would think they would need. Also large crabs move into smaller shells. I found it is best to order a variety of different shapes and sizes. Our crabs seem to like mostly the green, polished gold mouth, and tapestry turbos. Be sure to get different types of shells otherwise they ALL will change into the same color shells and have a tough time telling them apart.

Here is the link to Naples Sea Shell Company http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermit ... hells.html

They are usually pretty quick with getting orders out, I have received orders between 3-7 days. On occasion with a larger order they threw in a free food shell.
Are polished tapestry turbo bad cause polish or no ??. Are they popular at all

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Polished shells are usually ground down and buffed to expose the lower pearl like layers of the shell. They are usually the ones you see with dolphins and palm trees and stripes carved into them. They are usually a bit lighter than a non carved shell of the same type and size depending on how much was ground away.

I am not sure what they actually use to buff and polish a shell. I would think they would use some compound similar to a car wax or maybe a super fine grit sandpaper to achieve the super shiny look. I know with the shell I carved i got down to the pearl but did not look shiny.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Polished shells are usually ground down and buffed to expose the lower pearl like layers of the shell. They are usually the ones you see with dolphins and palm trees and stripes carved into them. They are usually a bit lighter than a non carved shell of the same type and size depending on how much was ground away.

I am not sure what they actually use to buff and polish a shell. I would think they would use some compound similar to a car wax or maybe a super fine grit sandpaper to achieve the super shiny look. I know with the shell I carved i got down to the pearl but did not look shiny.
Imagethanks