What could this be?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
p2gg86

What could this be?

Post by p2gg86 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 am

Today I found something that weren't the before and these areas are where Ellen hanging out most.

It looks like fragments of another hermit crab to me. I hope Ellen is not cannibalizing Hearty as he seem to be molting before he was out right. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What could this be?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 am

Can you get better pictures of them close up? It does look like exoskeleton or bones of some sort, but it doesn't strike me quite like hermit crab.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 am

It looks like pieces of your rope! :) They are probably eating that. You can see in the second picture where the rope is hanging.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 pm

I believe I know what those are as these little pieces are getting darker and dried up with more of it around the area too. Those things are probably just Ellen's poops :crabbigsmile: so nothing to be worried about I hope!

Also today by examine those, I had to open the cover and dig in. I noticed an odor which is not dead fish smell or any of the bad molt or coco-fiber smell. Could this smell indicates my crab/crabs are molting? :crabblush:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Don’t dig! You don’t want to collapse any tunnels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Oh no no lol dig I meant here was digging my nose in to sniff any odor lol :banana: