Possible e or ruggie?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
kornchaser

Possible e or ruggie?

Post by kornchaser » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:30 pm

I just adopted a new teenie hermit crab with long eyes, from Petco. I know PetSmart is strictly PP's, at least in my area, but Petco may have mixed breeds. So he's in a cute lil shell, he's a very light color and has long eyes and is in a shell unlike a pp would normally be in. Was wondering if I got an E, on accident lol, or I guess a Ruggie? Which I read are similar. Any ideas on which?ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
-

hermiwormi

Re: Possible e or ruggie?

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:04 pm

He looks like an E definitely. PetCo is often carrying PPs and Es more than more often than the more exotic species

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Agree with above. A beautiful looking E.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi! Long time no see! It's an E. :D

Petco gets them sometimes.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:59 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Hi! Long time no see! It's an E. :D

Petco gets them sometimes.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
That's what I feared lol in this case with only a 20g tall could I fit in a species buddy? I have him and a large PP right now but I don't want to crowd the big guy with two overactive Es. Would that work?

-

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 am

I personally would leave as is. A 20g doesn't have a large footprint, and ultimately your two crabs will grow and require space.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:25 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I personally would leave as is. A 20g doesn't have a large footprint, and ultimately your two crabs will grow and require space.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing but didn't know if I was being too picky or not. Image

-

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 pm

It's been 3weeks going on a month since I brought my E home (Dec 16th, '18) and I haven't seen him pop back up. Pros; There's no distinct smell from the tank, he was obviously needing a good molt, was missing some of his claw, so I'm hoping he's taking the extra time to get adjusted. There's also a half tank worth of hidey hole room, large decor surrounded by moss and covered in a canopy of faux foliage. So lot of room to hide. Cons; the little guy was missing a part of his claw he was probably hurt and needing a lot to recover, like a tiny miracle. He's a tiny, so molting should take 3-4 weeks. Max 6. (According to my past records as memory serves me.) I have a few worries as you can see, lol. So my questions to all those willing; what's your experience with Es molting, how long did your tiny noobs take to destress (*tinies, not Jumbo's 'cause 9mo was mine lol) and what's the difference in molting Es vs molting PPs if any? Thank you!!

-

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Every crab is different. There really isn't a set time on molting - even with species. I have A LOT of Es - but I don't keep up who is down - it's too difficult. You get to play the waiting game. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com