Crabitat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Kitkat7

Crabitat

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm really enjoying seeing all of your setups! So here is mine... I set this up back in September 2018. My crabs had been separated due to fighting so I wanted them to have plenty of space for empty shells and moving around. I'm going to make a few changes based on recommendations, including adding some play sand to increase the substrate depth further, adding a thermometer and a hygrometer, and mixing my salt water with Instant Ocean rather than regular sea salt. Otherwise I'm really happy with this set-up (and more importantly, the crabs have seemed to enjoy it). I did recently lose a crab but I believe that was related to prior issues. I do plan to get one or two new crabs to keep my remaining crab company.

It is a 40g turtle breeder tank (36" long by 18" wide by 16" tall). There is an opening on the left side for a filter, so I covered it with extra background material to prevent escape. If they eventually figure out this weakness, which I'm sure they will (LOL) I plan to cover it with a coconut fiber mat. I especially like the dimensions of this tank because it's wider than a normal 40g, giving the crabbies more open space to crawl around in. There is a large UTH on the left side to keep them cozy. I ended up having to throw away the coconut hide (which was suspended from the lid) because it started getting moldy. I really like the lights, which I found at my local pet shop. They are LED and clip onto the lip of the tank, and have day/moonlight settings. The only bummer is that there is some mineral residue on the glass from its previous life as a turtle tank, and no matter how much I used vinegar (not with crabbies in the tank) it still looks a bit cloudy. Oh well! As long as the crabs are happy... I welcome any additional suggestions or questions. :)

doth

Re: Crabitat

Post by doth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm

looks like a fun setup! I love the hanging coco hut

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I recommend having 2 water dishes deep enough that they can submerge. Dechlorinated fresh and salt water. And where is the sand?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

doth wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm
looks like a fun setup! I love the hanging coco hut

Thank you. :) I did too! And the crabs liked it–they would climb the ladder into the coconut. Unfortunately the coconut husk started getting moldy from the humidity so I had to toss it. :( But I would like to try again with suspending something from the lid for them to crawl on.

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm
I recommend having 2 water dishes deep enough that they can submerge. Dechlorinated fresh and salt water. And where is the sand?

Hello, and thanks for the feedback! They have two water dishes: one with dechlorinated fresh and one with dechlorinated salt water (they are on the farthest right side of the tank, in front of the cork tree). The dishes are deep enough for them to cleanse their shell water if they wish, although I've never seen either crab get all the way into the water. The crabs are big enough to climb back out so I don't have sponges in the water dishes. Do you mean calcium sand or play sand? There is a food dish of calcium sand near the center of the setup, in front of the driftwood. At the moment the substrate is all coconut fiber, but I am going to make it deeper by adding play sand (as I know a mix of the two is more ideal). Thanks again!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Calcium sand is actually bad for crabbies. Just use regular play sand. A 50 pound bag is around $4 at Lowe's or Cole's

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

doth wrote:looks like a fun setup! I love the hanging coco hut

My guys love the cocohut. I put in some moss and they snuggle up in there. It's hard to see but the last pic has 3 crabbies in there.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Calcium sand is actually bad for crabbies. Just use regular play sand. A 50 pound bag is around $4 at Lowe's or Cole's

I know that play sand is the proper choice for substrate (I actually have some already, I just need to pick up more), and that calcium sand is bad as a substrate, as it can become cement-like and collapse on their burrows, or cake up on the crab's joints. However, is it also bad for them to consume it? I haven't mixed it in their substrate, just offered some dry calci-sand in a food dish. I've read conflicting reports on this. I bought the regular white kind so it doesn't contain dyes. I thought it could be a good way to supplement calcium in their diet (they seem to enjoy eating it though not to the exclusion of other food items). Is it bad for them to do so? In the past I've also offered cuttle bone. At first they liked it and would eat it, but eventually they ignored it. Thanks

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm
My guys love the cocohut. I put in some moss and they snuggle up in there. It's hard to see but the last pic has 3 crabbies in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Cocohut LOL!!! Man, I wish mine didn't get all funky. Whenever I have the UTH running during the winter there is a lot of condensation, and it also drips down from the lid. Maybe I'll try again with the cocohut (hehe) once I get my hygrometer and mix in play sand with my substrate. Here's Calypso chillin' in the old cocohut...

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 pm

love your setup. definitely post more pics when the sand is added!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Beautiful set up!

A couple of things:
Substrate should be 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). It should also be mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make the substrate sandcastle consistency.

The freshwater and marine saltwater bowls should be deep enough for your crabs to fully submerge themselves in. A lot of us use tupperware containers. You can use craft mesh as the ramps, as well as aquarium decor so they do not drown.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 pm

what are your other crabs names?

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm

I love this tat. <3 You did great setting up!

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark