I revamped the 50 gallon!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

I revamped the 50 gallon!

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 18, 2019 3:49 am

I decided to redo the entire tank yesterday afternoon because of how nasty it was getting, and the substrate was a bit dried out so I added brand new and moistened it again. Now we have about fifteen or so inches of playsand and ecoearth in a 29 gallon tank with a 20 long on top of it, and I just call it a 50 gallon.

The crabs have been just so letharfor unknown reasons, probably because they didn’t come to me in the best of shape, and one of them has lost it’s big pincher. I am feeding them bee pollen, crab exoskeleton, and plenty of calcium to help heal that claw which has already budded off at a gel limb. The feeding schedule hasn’t been the greatest, but I have been working to get it back on track.

Here’s a few pictures of the tank and the crabs, they were already going up and down out of the second level minutes after being put back inside.

Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Re: I revamped the 50 gallon!

Post by Motörcrab » Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am

Your guys will love the deeper substrate! When you need to change the food and water do you just pull the top tank off? We have talked about making a topper for a while now but never got any further than talk. I'm sure the extra room helps spread things out and frees up substrate real estate.

I always find it interesting to see how much heating requirements change based on location. Living in the northeast I need to cover the entire back and side of the tank with heaters and insulation. You only need to cover about a quarter of the back living in Florida.

You can also try feeding brine shrimp eggs to your injured guys they are supposed to be really good for them as well.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 18, 2019 8:36 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am
Your guys will love the deeper substrate! When you need to change the food and water do you just pull the top tank off? We have talked about making a topper for a while now but never got any further than talk. I'm sure the extra room helps spread things out and frees up substrate real estate.

I always find it interesting to see how much heating requirements change based on location. Living in the northeast I need to cover the entire back and side of the tank with heaters and insulation. You only need to cover about a quarter of the back living in Florida.

You can also try feeding brine shrimp eggs to your injured guys they are supposed to be really good for them as well.
I bet they will! :) The crab who lost its big pincher has dug down once again, hoping that will be recovered by the next time I see it.

Actually, sorry for not clarifying but I took out the bottom glass on that top tank so I can reach right into the top as I would on any tank, it really is great to have an entirely higher level for climbing and such, while the bottom remains good for walking space and digging in the substrate. I also put oak leaf litter and sprinkled crushed oyster shells from a feed store onto the substrate.

I contemplated changing the pools out for larger ones, but they never seem to submerge so I thought it might be a waste of space, and plus they are still quite small anywho.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 am

Looks great! I love the topper, I really need to do more research on the different sizes that fit. Your tank turned out awesome!

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun May 19, 2019 1:50 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 am
Looks great! I love the topper, I really need to do more research on the different sizes that fit. Your tank turned out awesome! Image
Thanks! I did add quite a bit of new wood, cork, and extra plants yesterday, here's what it looks like.

Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP