Who Doesn't Like Baby Pictures?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm

I personally dislike pictures of parents showing off their babies. Kittens, puppies, turtles, and whatever else makes me smile though.

Xenocrab and I are back from Crab Con, I will post a run down in the next day or two, hopefully.

We tried to get six E's but I believe we got three E's and three P's. You can see a million pictures of these guys, or girls, and until you see them in person you can't get a grasp of how small they are! Yet they act just like the big ones!

The last two pictures are part of the data we need to record for Mary. We are measuring their leg span. Each color ring is 2mm. We will also be, or attempting to record how long they molt each time, how many times, shell changes, and other things we notice. We need to send that off to Mary quarterly for her records. It is going to be exciting see how they do in various areas of the country in different conditions.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Re: Who Doesn't Like Baby Pictures?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Oh my gosh!! So cute!! I wish I could get teeny ones like that.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Oh my, they're so tiny!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 am

You have some great pictures! I haven’t got any good ones to share yet, they’re kind of blurry. They are so precious!

aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Oh my goodness! Those are so CUTE!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Oh wow! I don't think Sonny and Cher were ever that small! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm

It's been a while since we posted some updated baby pictures. So far we only have one issue with them. We just don't see them. They come out late at night and as soon as they see us they hide. The are great at vanishing instantly. You literally blink and they are gone!

With talking with Mary she is pretty confident that she only had PP's and no E's for adoption. As these guys grow their colors are starting to come out more and more on their legs and pinchers. They are all looking to be PP's.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:35 pm

They are so adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Please continue to share! I am looking to adopt come crab con 2020 and have already put in my application! As I make adjustments to my tank set up and make everything absolutely perfect, I am soo anxious to watch your babies grow! If you don’t mind, of course! Good luck and bless your babies! They are sooo precious and cute!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:16 am

The babies are fun to watch, when they are out. We used a 29 gallon for the six we got. It is massive tank for them. I think if we would do another baby tank we would go with a smaller tank maybe a 10 or 20 gallon. Since they are so tiny we only need about 3" of substrate. 3" for them is probably equal to 6-8" for a normal tank. Even when you see a lot of pictures it is still hard to fathom how tiny they really are!

Are you planning to keep them with your current tank or have tank just for them?

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:26 am

I love your baby tank! Even better seeing them in it and moving around, they are soo cute! I can’t get over those little palm trees you made, I want them. Lol! I think I see my babies more because they are in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 30g for them but I’ve hesitated to move them over because, like you said, it is a lot of room for them. I like that I can actually see them more often and I don’t want to lose that. I do have a corner hex tank I was thinking of moving them over to but I need a new lid for it, with these guys being so small, I don’t trust the lid that came with it.
Edit: You made baby enrichment cubes!!! How did you get them together? I don’t think I’d be able to make my fingers work with something so small! Lol!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:32 am

We added corner guards to the top of the nursery. It's plastic clear angle we siliconed on the inside. It closes any gap you may have with a top. We found it at Lowe's. I can't remember what area.ImageImage

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:33 pm

I wanted to ask you about those, I knew you had something like that. I need to try that. Thank you.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Adorable! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:17 pm

It's been a long time since we added any baby photos. Back in January Mary suggested to add some "adults" as mentors to the babies. Crabby see, crabby do theory. After our quarterly baby check in we added Mr. Fishyhead, Little D, and Lil' Chicky with the babies. They all took to each other right away. The babies seem to be more active and follow the big guys around, even climb on them. Before adding the big crabs we may see one or two babies late at night. After introducing their mentors we can usually see two to three at any given time. It is so cool learning about these babies.

Mr. Fishyhead and baby!

One of our bigger crabs and two babies

ImageImage