I impulse bought 1 hermit crab, got more info, and fixed everything...I think. How does it look?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
SinLeche

I impulse bought 1 hermit crab, got more info, and fixed everything...I think. How does it look?

Post by SinLeche » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:52 pm

I impulse bought 1 hermit crab at a pet store maybe 2 weeks ago and wrongfully put it in a 1 gallon plastic environment with maybe 2 inches of sand, 1 water dish, and a bit of food. My fault. I didn't do my proper research and had no idea what I was putting my poor crab through. Until yesterday I didn't even know that most hermit crabs are taken from the wild and put into captivity and can have a 20/30 year lifespan. After doing my research I was pretty upset and felt bad that my crab was definitely miserable. I knew I needed to fix everything so I re-did the entire setup, boiling everything so it was fresh and sanitized.
In a 10 gallon tank I put 3 dishes for saltwater, freshwater (not sink water), and food. The food dish currently has some arugula, apple, almonds, and hermit crab pet store blend. There's also a log hideaway, extra shells, a rope climber on the back wall, and a metal hamster wheel that I took apart so it will not move. (I didn't realize until I looked more into it that this may rust because of the humidity in the tank but it's only been in there for about 5 hours as of when I'm posting this.) I have a temperature/humidity reader that's in the corner behind the log which unfortunately you can not see in the picture, but as of posting this the temperate is at 79 degrees and 80% humidity. I have probably a little more than 6 inches of substrate (about a 50/50 or 60/40 match of eco-earth and play sand) and a spray bottle with hermit approved water to keep everything nice and humid. I do not yet have a heater but will get one as soon as it starts to get cool outside- my house is 80-83 degrees so for the summer it's perfect.
I also have a dyed neon green climby wood so my crab can get out of the saltwater dish which I do not like so I online ordered natural cholla wood which should be arriving soon and I will replace it. I also ordered 30 additional turbo shells in a variety of sizes, cuttlebone which hermits apparently enjoy, and some "sun grow hermit crab leaves" which also they apparently love and will hide under. I also got my hermit crab a friend.
My second crab is currently underneath the substrate, as soon as I put them into the tank the crab immediately buried itself. My second crab is a bit smaller than the first one I bought and seems to be more timid. Molting on the way? I have no idea, as of 2 weeks ago I didn't even know they molted.
I'm trying my best with the information I was able to get online and from youtube videos but obviously owning hermit crabs for years teaches you things the internet can't so I would really appreciate any *constructive* criticism. I'm want to do right by my 2 new pets and I know that I'm definitely not there yet, but like I said I am trying my best and I hope it shows. Below I've attached 3 pictures, the first is of my tank set-up, the following 2 are of my first hermit crab. I now know that painted shells are bad for hermit crabs, my second crab is in a non-painted shell, but my first has not changed shells yet. I also do not have any pictures of my second hermit crab because it's buried. I'm hoping for constructive feedback on my tank set-up and opinions on if my hermit crab looks to be healthy and possibly what type/gender the crab may be.
Thank you everyone, me and my 2 friends really appreciate it
10 gallon: https://hopingforhermitheaven.tumblr.co ... 6802827423
front hermit view: https://hopingforhermitheaven.tumblr.co ... 6802836868
side hermit view: https://hopingforhermitheaven.tumblr.co ... 6802832608

Hermiesguardian

Re: I impulse bought 1 hermit crab, got more info, and fixed everything...I think. How does it look?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Welcome! You came to the right place. Sounds like you're doing great so far. Just a couple of things. To dechlorinate the water you should use Prime. Then add Instant Ocean for the salt water. Did you mix your substrate with dechlorinated water to sandcastle consistancy? Most things marketed for hermit crabs aren't good for them. Such as food. They can eat almost everything we can. Just try to get organic as much as possible. You can check out the safe/unsafe food list on here. The pics didn't come up. You can post pics on the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
SinLeche

Re: I impulse bought 1 hermit crab, got more info, and fixed everything...I think. How does it look?

Post by SinLeche » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm

@hermiesguardian
I adjusted the links so hopefully now the picture links will pop up correctly! I did mix the substrate to sand castle consistency, I ended up using nearly a gallon of water to do so, which was dechlorinated. As for the salt water, I didn't even want to mess around with trying to make my own, especially because of the damage I had already unknowingly done to my hermits. I bought bottled hermit crab saltwater from the pet store, but really good to know about Instant Ocean. As soon as this bottle is done I will definitely make the switch. I heard somewhere off youtube I think that if you mix saltwater into the substrate instead of dechlorinated water that it will be better for the hermits. Does anyone know if this is true or have any experience doing it? Thanks for being so welcoming!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Even mixing Saltwater in the substrate, it should still be dechorlinated. Salt in the substrate helps to combat the growth of mould, otherwise there's no real benefit of using salt or not.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Just a couple of things to add to the already good advice given.
Dechlorinated salt water can be used to mix the substrate originally, but then if you add more water later you should use dechlor fresh water. I mixed my sub with fresh, because I didn't know any different at the time. I have never had a problem with it. I have never changed my substrate in the almost 9 years I have had my crabs, I just added more when I upgraded tanks.
Even though it says it's for hermit crabs, that bottled water doesn't contain all the necessary minerals that Instant Ocean does. Don't be intimidated, it's easy to mix up - I only make 2 cups at a time (1 Tablespoon of Instant Ocean), but others make larger quantities.
Do you have a lid on your tank? That can help hold in humidity, so you don't need to mist as much. Too much misting can put you at risk for flooding. Saran/ plastic wrap is what I used on the top of my first two tanks.
Most importantly.....what did you name your new friends?? LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I was able to see your pics. Looks great except for the wheel. The point of the wheel is so it moves like when a hamster is on it. It's like a treadmill for them. My crabs walk on it for hours at a time. Hang it upside down above the substrate.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi