My Girls in Their New Tank

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Lizs2587

Re: My Girls in Their New Tank

Post by Lizs2587 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:21 am

KinoAndTeto wrote:I was thinking of putting some popcorn in their wheel tonight to trick them into getting in it, haha.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
That's a great idea! Mine haven't had popcorn yet!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 am

So adorable!!! :clap:

:crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am

Lizs2587 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:21 am
That's a great idea! Mine haven't had popcorn yet!

I tried that. Never worked. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I think it took a few weeks for my guys to discover the wheel. Maybe less than a few. Maybe a couple of weeks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:42 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I tried that. Never worked. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I think it took a few weeks for my guys to discover the wheel. Maybe less than a few. Maybe a couple of weeks.
Darn, I thought I was being so smart, lol. I'll try it anyhow and see if they fall for it. Usually they can't let popcorn sit for more than a few minutes.

Do your crabbies use the wheel a lot now that they've discovered it?

🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:51 pm

KinoAndTeto wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:42 am
Darn, I thought I was being so smart, lol. I'll try it anyhow and see if they fall for it. Usually they can't let popcorn sit for more than a few minutes.

Do your crabbies use the wheel a lot now that they've discovered it?

Omg yes! Lol. Sometimes for 24 hrs straight. Several of them on at once, trying to go in different directions. Very funny. And they also sleep in it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Lizs2587 wrote:I do believe one is molting. He hasn't been seen for about a week and a half. The one "birdie" is the most active. He has been seen at like 2am climbing on the screen lid! And pinky and Nemo just chill in a slight hole they make. Rango is the one I'm pretty sure is molting.

Ha mine loved crawling on the mesh lid on their old 10 gallon tank, too. I had it covered with plastic wrap on top. It was starting to rust. They have a glass lid now, which I know is better but I feel bad getting rid of part of their jungle gym, haha.

I love their names! Especially Birdie. So cute.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

This looks amazing

I’m not sure who said they only had 5-6” of substrate ~ but the HCA recommends a minimum of 6” or three times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper of the two heights wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! They're selling in well on day 2. Well, Kino is. She found herself the best spot on top of the moss in the cork round. Teto managed to get herself stuck behind her house. I pulled it out a bit so she could move, even though she was probably fine, but she just crawled right back up to the same spot. Oh well, lol.ImageImage