My beginner crabitat. Any suggestions

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

My beginner crabitat. Any suggestions

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm

ImageImage It’s 10 gal and I have a small UTH but the warm side is only 75 degrees F. The humidity is 90%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hermiehomes4Gretchen on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maddamay32

Re: My beginner crabitat. Any suggestions

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Super cute and awesome! Other than getting a little bigger UTH and some more stuff for your crabs to climb on it looks perfect!! All your shells are lovely too btw. How many babies do you have?

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:Super cute and awesome! Other than getting a little bigger UTH and some more stuff for your crabs to climb on it looks perfect!! All your shells are lovely too btw. How many babies do you have?

Thanks!! I have one small and the other one is kinda a medium. Gretchen and Jeffery :) they werw under the coconut shell in the picture

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Oh! Also I didn't see any other lid in the pic besides suranwrap, which is totally fine except crabs are escape artists lol. Definitely invest in a lid asap if you haven't already.

I really like the name Gretchen lol, makes me want to get another crab just to steal that name ;)

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm
Oh! Also I didn't see any other lid in the pic besides suranwrap, which is totally fine except crabs are escape artists lol. Definitely invest in a lid asap if you haven't already.

I really like the name Gretchen lol, makes me want to get another crab just to steal that name ;)

Thanks! I've always loved that name but I never knew anyone who did :) I actually have a lid that slides into a track on top of my cage but I read that a screen doesn't keep in humidity so I wrapped Suran Wrap around it. They won't be escaping lol.

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:05 pm

That's Perfect! Probably why your humidy stays so high haha. How long have you had your crabs?

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:That's Perfect! Probably why your humidy stays so high haha. How long have you had your crabs?

Since June. I’m writing a research paper on them.

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Oh nice, you've had them for a few months then. So is your paper going to be about the behavior you've witnessed while you've had them? Or more so what you've read and studied?

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:Oh nice, you've had them for a few months then. So is your paper going to be about the behavior you've witnessed while you've had them? Or more so what you've read and studied?

The later

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Welcome! The most important suggestion is the size of your tank. It should be minimum a 10 gal. Especially with 2 crabs. What do you feed them? They need calcium and protein daily. As well as a variety of other foods.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Welcome! The most important suggestion is the size of your tank. It should be minimum a 10 gal. Especially with 2 crabs. What do you feed them? They need calcium and protein daily. As well as a variety of other foods.
Sorry I meant to say 10gal. I don’t know why I said 5. I’m hoping to upgrade to a 20 gal maybe for Christmas. I feed a mixture of hermit crab food and grains and fruits and veggies. In the picture was barely flax and hermit crab food. I just added a piece of organic apple. I bought the mineral blocks for hermit crabs. Does that have calcium in it?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote: Sorry I meant to say 10gal. I don’t know why I said 5. I’m hoping to upgrade to a 20 gal maybe for Christmas. I feed a mixture of hermit crab food and grains and fruits and veggies. In the picture was barely flax and hermit crab food. I just added a piece of organic apple. I bought the mineral blocks for hermit crabs. Does that have calcium in it?

The mineral blocks probably have some calcium in them. But you might want to add a high calcium item like cuttlebone or a little dish filled with calcium powder. I have both in my tank. I find my crab Beau sitting in the calcium powder dish often. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:The mineral blocks probably have some calcium in them. But you might want to add a high calcium item like cuttlebone or a little dish filled with calcium powder. I have both in my tank. I find my crab Beau sitting in the calcium powder dish often. Image

Awww ok I’ve heard that you can use eggshells. Should I boil the egg first?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote: Awww ok I’ve heard that you can use eggshells. Should I boil the egg first?

Eggshells are great too. If you're hardboiling eggs for the crabs or yourself, then the shell is already clean and ready to go. If you use a shell from just cracking an egg, you have to wash it out and bake it in the oven to dry and sanitize it. At least that's how I do it to feed the shells to the birds, and then keep a little left over for the crabbies. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 pm
Sorry I meant to say 10gal. I don’t know why I said 5. I’m hoping to upgrade to a 20 gal maybe for Christmas. I feed a mixture of hermit crab food and grains and fruits and veggies. In the picture was barely flax and hermit crab food. I just added a piece of organic apple. I bought the mineral blocks for hermit crabs. Does that have calcium in it?

I know most commercial "hermit crab food" isn't actually good for them. But the rest of their diet sounds pretty good. :) I'm not sure about the mineral blocks, but a lot of commercial hermit crab stuff in general tends to lack. I put cuttlebone in my crabitat for calcium. I also agree with the post about having a dish of calcium powder, and actually plan to add that to my new tank.

Love the setup you have going, you're doing great!
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!