New and improved crabitat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Candicesmith23

New and improved crabitat

Post by Candicesmith23 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am

Hello all!!

I am new to the crabby world! I recently bought a used 110 gallon tank for $50!!! It’s still a work in progressImageImageImage

So far I’ve transferred 5 of my 8 crabs to the new digs and I’m still waiting on the final 3 to make their appearance above ground (they are hiding out in the old 20 gallon tank)
Any ideas on things I should add or change? Thank you Image

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Candicesmith23 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrabbyLover77

Re: New and improved crabitat

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 am

Oh wow, what a good deal for a tank! I bet your crabbies are going to have a good time in there.
I'm curious about the lights. Are they hanging inside the tank? If so, I would think the high humidity might short them out quickly. Also, if one or both is giving off heat, I would worry about the hermies being able to climb onto the lamp and burn it's little legs. Those domes can get pretty hot (I use one for my tortoise). So you might want to keep them out of the tank above a lid if you can. Also, heat lamps can zap humidity quickly, so you'll want to keep an eye on that.
I can't tell from the pics, but is there an easy way in and out of the pool aquariums? You'll want to put some kind of mesh, egg crate, Cholla wood, ramp, etc in the pools that makes it easy to climb out so they don't get stuck in there.
I'm also not sure from the pics, but do you have a lid to make sure the crabbies don't escape? (Also to keep humidity in).
Great job and I hope the other guys come up soon so you can transfer them in!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Candicesmith23

Post by Candicesmith23 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you!!

I do have plexiglass lids keeping it covered. So I should keep the heat lamps outside the tank? I was having issues keeping the temp up because I keep my house fairly chilly, and the tank is so large. I moved one of the lamps closer to the pools to warm up the water and add humidity. I think the lamps are un-reachable by the crabs. How would I keep it warm enough?

Topic author
Candicesmith23

Post by Candicesmith23 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:53 pm

I swapped out the pools after this pic but it shows how I keep it covered.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Have you consider an UTH (under tank heater)? For crabs, they are always mounted on the back or side, just above the substrate line. There are types that can be insulated over as well. They create heat but don't zap humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Candicesmith23 wrote:Thank you!!

I do have plexiglass lids keeping it covered. So I should keep the heat lamps outside the tank? I was having issues keeping the temp up because I keep my house fairly chilly, and the tank is so large. I moved one of the lamps closer to the pools to warm up the water and add humidity. I think the lamps are un-reachable by the crabs. How would I keep it warm enough?

You would be surprised at how well crabs can climb to reach things. I would definitely keep the day light out of the tank if you can. And like Curly said, you can get an uth to warm up the tank (or more than one since your tank is so large). I'm lucky, my house stays between 75-78 so I don't need a heater for them. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Candicesmith23

Post by Candicesmith23 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Ohhhh ok! I wasn’t sure if those mat heaters would be worth it. I will definitely get a couple instead of those heat lamps. Thank you guys for the help. I’m really hoping to keep these guys happy for many years to come.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Candicesmith23 wrote:Ohhhh ok! I wasn’t sure if those mat heaters would be worth it. I will definitely get a couple instead of those heat lamps. Thank you guys for the help. I’m really hoping to keep these guys happy for many years to come.

You're welcome! Image Since I don't use an uth, I'm not sure what brands are better (I think a lot of people say the Zoo Med brand doesn't work well though). But there might be some info in the care sheets, or other members could tell you what they use. Have a great night!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Many use the Ultratherm. Can be purchased at beanfarm.com or reptilebasic.com. it can be insulated. You would need a size that covers the entire back, from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Do you have a therm/hygrometer? Digital are best.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Candicesmith23

Post by Candicesmith23 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Many use the Ultratherm. Can be purchased at beanfarm.com or reptilebasic.com. it can be insulated. You would need a size that covers the entire back, from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Do you have a therm/hygrometer? Digital are best.

I do. It’s analog though. I move it from one side to the other to make sure the entire tank has the right temp and humidity levels. Thank you for those sites. All this is pretty new to me.