Never upgrading again! Journal update 1/7

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Never upgrading again! Journal update 1/7

Post by Zoeythelost » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:35 pm

I set out this weekend on a mission to upgrade my crabs home. The goal a 75 gal spending as little $$ as possible.

Saturday morning my wanted craigslist ad went up and i went out shopping. I found a deal to good to pass up at petsmart, a 75 stand for $132.00. Most run about $200.00. I grabbed my card and my car and off I went with my new stand. When I got home later that afternoon I had an email from a lady with a 75g but no stand. :banana: We agreed on $60.00 and I picked it up today. Below is my progress towards my upgrade.

The tank.
Like most used tanks its filthy. Covered in algae and silicone!! lots and lots of silicone. Its everywhere.

2 hours of scrubbing and cutting way some of the excess silicone my arms feel like they are about to fall off. there were silicone finger prints all over the thing.

Looking better prettier on its new stand. thats a fish tank next to it. the crabs are going to have neighbors.

The silicone afterwards.
This tank must have had a serious leak at one point. I'm a bit worried about the silicone, there is soo much of it. Is this going to be safe for the crabs? if no please tell me asap before i fill this thing tomorrow.

Will post more as the days go by until the crabs are in.

Day 2

The substrate is in!! Used much less than I had planned. 9 bricks of EE and about 40lbs of sand. Its about 6 1/2 inches right now. It should settle some but hoping it stays about 6 inches. All my crabs are mediums and smalls so this should be more than enough substrate for a while.

The indentation in the back corner is where the moss pit will be. I have this on my 20gal and it is one of the crabs favorite sleeping areas. A shower curtain is thrown over it to control the fresh EE smell. The shower curtain will later to be cut up to put over the screen lid.
The cork round and net are currently soaking in salt water. They must have made a mistake because my net is not covered in black muck.

Day 3

Half of the netting is up. I sorta over estimated how much was in each pack. So needless to say the 2nd pack is now soaking. Trying to do a little bit everyday. This evil work thing is really holding up progress.

Also installed this plant which I fell in love with. sadly I had to trim off about half of it as it was so long. Both the plant and net is hot glued to the plastic rim of the tank. I haven't been impressed with how silicone has held things together in the past.

this is more of an experiment than anything else. its a small shower caddy flipped on its side, it is partially buried and fasten with suction cup hooks to the side of the tank. Inside is worm casting and chia seeds (thanks to fate4003). the idea is the chia will grow out the holes so it can be eaten but the caddy will protect it from being completely destroyed. i'm not really expecting it to work but i'm hopeful.

Tonight I have about 7 pieces of cholla to soak in saltwater and i have to wash the dog. Will post more pictures tomorrow.

Day 4

Finished the netting. added moss to the inground moss pit and the corner for the woodlice. Chia is growing in the garden area. also coated the substrate with worm casting and sprinkled HCP mineral supplement on top of that. I want their ground to be yummy as well as fun to walk on and dig in! Wood is still too wet to work with. come back tomorrow, woodlice will be added with pictures of the cute bugs of course!

Day 5 things could have gone better
My lamps are delayed, my lid does not fit. but moving forward regardless. Move in day for the woodlice.

finish product for today
most of the work on the cholla bridge is done, I need to add one more piece that needs to be measured and cut. of course in the process i've pretty much ripped my pretty fake plant down, will need to be reglued. The tropicaire tubing at least is somewhat installed (middle of tank) but i dont have the air pump to actually test it yet. Leaf litter and cork has been added for the woodlice housing.

Woodlice housing/ woodlice snack bar (for the crabs)

The woodlice! These are my first babies and the new babies in their old home.

Run free my little sow bug! exploring the new digs. this guy, one of the original four, climbed up my arm so he got put asap into the tank but the rest i simply made a wood bridge out of their old home to the new one. i'll let them find their own way out instead of dumping or scooping them.

lastly
a hawk (i think?) he was chillin on a fence next to the drive through this morning when i was getting lunch.

Day 6

No pictures. all night spent working on building a screen lid for the tank. Frame is built after 4 hours but screen not working out so well.

Day 7
Been a long day and the crabs are in!!! Temp is a little low since I only have one dome light right now, parts of the tank are still hitting close to 80 so we should be good until Monday when my new light comes in.

progress on the lid. This is how the lid currently looks.
this is the lid without all the wood and buckets on it
we are siliconing the screen to the metal and trying to apply pressure for 24 hours to ensure it sticks good. i have my doubts about this working but the frame is good. Its made out of aluminum so my magnets will not work. :( but i'll figure something out.

Day started with finishing the cholla bridge.
stealing the moss pits from the other tanks, hanging vines, and adding in all the other decor
all which went surprisingly fast.
a few pictures of the finish product.

than the crabs were added in. 11 in total. 5 MIA (Purples, Devil, Ebert, Crabby, Hermie)

Blues checking out shells, notice the crabs in the cocohuts

Violas in the cocohut. The crabs that hide together, stay together.

This is the most anybody ever see of Charcoal. His red legs.

Struder exploring

The pictures are horrible I know. To the right next to the cholla and cork is Bug, old ruggie who is missing his leg.
Center is the red ruggie Tug with a small E, E-wee climbing on his shell. There is a Charcoal's leg in the cocohut and another ruggie somewhere in the shells

All for now, it got dark and my night light is not providing enough light to even see the crabs. Will post pictures of the lid once its complete.
Last edited by Zoeythelost on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Never upgrading again! Journal

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Nice find! :) The excess silicone will be fine as long as they used fish-safe silicone to seal it. The problem with resealing tanks is that silicone won't stick to itself, so the only way to repair it without cutting apart the glass panels and stripping them is to cake on the new silicone over the old seal and onto the glass on either side to anchor it and make it waterproof. Most of the time this doesn't work and you still have a leaky tank.

(I see the HCA in that reflection as well! :lol: )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

NeviNuNu

Post by NeviNuNu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Looks great!!! Congrats!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Proud Mama to: 1 Human Son- Nevan
Furkids: 2 dogs- Arden, & Ella
Shell babies: 16 PPs, 5 Es, 2 Violas, 2 Indos, 3 Straws & 2 Blues

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm

You will love having all that space, and so will the crabs!
Owner of 4 PPs

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 pm

awesome! have fun decorating! :) can't wait to see more pics!!!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Wodesorel. I was tempted to just grab a chunk of the silicone and just rip and see if the original stuff was still good under. But i wasnt really in the mood to learn how to reseal a tank in the event the original stuff wasnt there. Its an old tank, there isnt even a bar running across the top of the middle of the tank like in most large tanks now a days. Very thick glass which is awesome. of course i'm not sure how thick a normal 75g is. btw. how do you sterilize cork bark if you dont want to put in it the oven? Would freezing overnight work?

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 pm

If it's small enough to put in the microwave I would try putting it in there 30 seconds at a time. Just watch it carefully. If you want to be conservative put it in the freezer over night, then microwave it. :D
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:43 pm

its not small enough

ginapo

Post by ginapo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:51 am

Wow, I'm jealous. I bet that's going to look amazing when it's done. : )
Crab mom for two happy years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:51 am

Not really much of a worry if it leaks. :) The glass is set together so close that even without the silicone the sand and EE can't get through it, so only water would be able to make it out. (A lot of the time the tanks spring "pinholes" along the silicone edge, creating a small water jet into the room, rarely does the entire edge give out.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

gpw9167

Re: Never upgrading again! Journal update 1/2

Post by gpw9167 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm

How exciting i hope that you will post pictures as you go. Your crabbies are going to love all that space! :D
2 - cats (Stormy, Gypsy) <<<<>>>>> 2 - parakeets (Polly, Snake)
6 - PP's (Jasmin, Smalls,The Rock, Gary, Big Guy, Wizzer ) 8 -E's (Fluffy, Henry, Sal, Lucky, Charles, Stormey, Larry, Moe)
6 - goldfish
1 - husband , 3 - children

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Zoey- what did you use to get the algae off? I tried vinegar on my tank that I picked up today and the green goo hasn't budged at all. I'm thinking razor blade, but I'm kinda clumsy and that would be an accident waiting to happen :)
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

haley.jean

Post by haley.jean » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Nice finds! I hope your crabbies love it! :D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

CrabbyIrene wrote:Zoey- what did you use to get the algae off? I tried vinegar on my tank that I picked up today and the green goo hasn't budged at all. I'm thinking razor blade, but I'm kinda clumsy and that would be an accident waiting to happen :)
a high power hose and pure white vinegar on a scrubby sponge. could try soaking it in vinegar somehow? if not i believe beach is safe as long as you rinse it well, might want to get someone else's okay for that though.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Yes, bleach is safe, just rinse well. I do try to avoid bleach because it bothers my sinuses. You can try putting straight vinegar on a paper towel and putting it against the glass and leaving it there for a while. The paper towel should "stick" to the glass and hold the vinegar in place. Then try scrubbing again. Another thing that helped for me was a nylon or plastic paint scrapper from the hardware store. It's hard work to clean up a used tank.
Owner of 4 PPs