Post your jumbo( or biggest crab)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Giga

Post your jumbo( or biggest crab)

Post by Giga » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

2.5" opening indo

You said it didn't bite!.........Well..........It didn't bite me.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Post your jumbo( or biggest crab)

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

:D

The Dark One (who is still alive) = 2.5 inch opening. Purple Pincher

Baja was bigger, but he didn't make it. He weighed 92 grams without a shell and was the size of a dinner plate when I spread him out to get a good look at him. It was actually scary how big he was. He filled two hands!

Although, and I'm not positive, because he wasn't up for long and died while molting, Thor may have been bigger than both of them. He overfilled a 2 inch magpie and his legs were enormous! (Not that shell in the photo. That was what he came in!)

Yeah, I love the big guys. :)
But the jumbo PPs I find go through so much that they end up succumbing to PPS. :(
I very much envoy your Indos!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Mallorn is the largest crab I have owned:

Avery

Post by Avery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Holy moley... My girl is not even close to what you all have... yet :D ... but she is 1of 2 of my biggest (they are nearly identical), she is my most camera happy Brevie though :)

she is not pleased when I put her on the chart...
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm

My Godzilla! Slightly under 1.5 inch opening I think.

Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Topic author
Giga

Post by Giga » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Ima go get a picture of him on the chart don't think I did that yet
You said it didn't bite!.........Well..........It didn't bite me.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 am

Giga wrote:Ima go get a picture of him on the chart don't think I did that yet
I'd love to see that as he looks huge!

Wode, Dark One looks similar to Mallorn (but bigger I think). Baja's bp looks so big!

Avery, what a pretty girl! I think I'd like to own a couple Indo in the future. :)

Wolf, Godzilla!! :love5: I love the second pic. Looks like the little one is trying to snuggle. :D

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am

I've seen the pics of Godzilla a couple of times around here and I still love them lol. so cute. and i love that shell, he looks so bad-a

also... you all are brave for handling the jumbos like that, I'd be so afraid of getting chomped (cause i don't think you could call that a pinch, those claws could do some major damage!) I'm nervous enough holding spongebob and she's nowhere near that size lol
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

MustLoveShells

Post by MustLoveShells » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I don't think he is anywhere near as big but my biggest is Rupert. :hearts:

I need to find the size chart I printed out and get a shot, I've been saying the big four are larges. They are compared to the babies anyway. :lol:

In front the tank (before the refit). I love his eyes. :hearts:

He changed back into scuzzy shell since. *sigh*
Crabby Cravings UK hermit crab shop: http://www.crabbycravings.co.uk
9 Coenobita violascens: Rupert, Sky, Vandal, Oliver, Ninja, Valentina, Psycho, Ellimere
7 Coenobita rugosus: Elf, Gimli, Kili and Fili, Panda, Lilo
4Coenobita brevimanus Smartie, Peanut,Unnamed
1 Coenobita clypeatus: Tara

Avery

Post by Avery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Sandra- LOL! To be honest, I'm more cautious with the little squirrly ones than I am with the bigger guys. I think too, for me, I've had these girls for long enough to know the temperments, and in my opinion the larger they are the calmer they are. Thats just been my own experience .
My girl I posted up here, Im pretty sure I hear her say "Weeeeee! Were going on an adventure!" whenever she leaves her tank, and I think they are accustomed to me and my shennanigans :D

CallaLily- Thank you :) I do love the brevies.... alot.

MustLoveShells- that is the biggest Viola I have seen yet! WOW. I have often wondered how big they should/could get!
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Bach! He's about half the size of a dollar bill. I haven't put him on a sizing chart for awhile so I'm not exactly sure what size he is! (Although I think he was definitely a large, but I'm not sure if he was a borderline jumbo. This pic is from the other day though :D

I'd take him out and measure him, but he's buried in my second level EE. :)
Lovely PPs and Little Es

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

haha well mine have never tried to deliberately pinch me, but Spongebob flails around like crazy when I pick her up so i'm always expecting her to grab on to a finger just because it's there. and Gir's toenails are so sharp! he managed to pull himself forward on my hand (even though i was holding him back by the shell with the other hand) and grab onto the soft fleshy part of my hand with his small pincher lol. he's pretty small so didn't break skin but still hurt, i can picture spongebob doing more damage. she's gotten my husband and left a scar... his fault for holding her up by the shell, she just latched on to keep from falling we figure lol. the amount of damage she did at the size she was back then (medium) i can't imagine what one of those jumbos could do.
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 pm

sandra03 wrote:haha well mine have never tried to deliberately pinch me, but Spongebob flails around like crazy when I pick her up so i'm always expecting her to grab on to a finger just because it's there. and Gir's toenails are so sharp! he managed to pull himself forward on my hand (even though i was holding him back by the shell with the other hand) and grab onto the soft fleshy part of my hand with his small pincher lol. he's pretty small so didn't break skin but still hurt, i can picture spongebob doing more damage. she's gotten my husband and left a scar... his fault for holding her up by the shell, she just latched on to keep from falling we figure lol. the amount of damage she did at the size she was back then (medium) i can't imagine what one of those jumbos could do.
One of my big guys, gave me a round blood blister on the tip of my finger once, I was picking him up by the shell and he twisted around and pinched me out of nowhere a little after I first got him! He was probably still freaked out a little from the new better conditions, since I adopted a ton of my hermies from pretty bad conditions :(. Haha it hurt pretty bad at the time since I couldn't get him off, but its something I laugh about now, and I could never hold anything against my crabbies :lol:
Lovely PPs and Little Es

MustLoveShells

Post by MustLoveShells » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Avery wrote: MustLoveShells- that is the biggest Viola I have seen yet! WOW. I have often wondered how big they should/could get!
I've wondered that myself tbh, not really violas around often here (mine are the only I've ever seen in life), so i'm not really sure if he is large, jumbo or what or how much bigger he might get. Its hard to judge from pics and I have tiny hands. :lol:

Hermie nails are sharp, Rupert sat on my hand eating coconut earlier and it felt like getting injections in my fingers. >.<
Crabby Cravings UK hermit crab shop: http://www.crabbycravings.co.uk
9 Coenobita violascens: Rupert, Sky, Vandal, Oliver, Ninja, Valentina, Psycho, Ellimere
7 Coenobita rugosus: Elf, Gimli, Kili and Fili, Panda, Lilo
4Coenobita brevimanus Smartie, Peanut,Unnamed
1 Coenobita clypeatus: Tara

zippity

Post by zippity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

My big guys are under the sand right now, newest one requires a 2 inch opening.

It's not my big guys that try to pinch, my littlest ones are the fiesty pinchers. :grin:

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2