I Present my 55 -> 90G setup!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

mercury6

Re: I Present my 55 -> 90G setup!

Post by mercury6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 am

Your tank looks lovely. I viewed some of your photos, especially loved the one taken of your strawberry. The crabs must love the climbing surfaces. And now I'm going to rattle off a bunch of questions at you like a two-year-old. Do many of your crabs submerge in the pools? Do you find the pools provide enough humidity for this size tank? I have small freshwater and saltwater pools, but they don't pump out enough water into the air to compensate for the heating, so I'm constantly trying to balance. I'm using a humidifier to adjust as needed, but I'm wondering if the larger pools do the trick. Also, what kind of wood are you using and how is it standing up to the humidity? I used Mopani, but even after treating the wood it molded repeatedly and so I had to toss it. Aesthetically it's a great tank and I love the biodiversity. Good luck with it and your critters!

Yuka

Post by Yuka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 am

I speak as if you're having surface molts.

That's great as if you have plans for a considerable upgrade but that is yearS from now. That is way too far ahead in the future. Rocky has a crab that was smaller than a walnut when she got him and two years later he's almost a jumbo. Many members on here have reported their smaller crabs turning into jumbos in a year.

For your ISO substrate, the substrate ANYWHERE should be sandcastle consistency. And as our caresheets say, is safe for any hermit crab because humid air = moist gills = easy breathing, the only downside is the increased capacity for mold growth. Does that mean that your ISO tank is bare? Is that what you're trying to say? You are also not giving any basis for your claims other than your observations for an unspecified amount of time.

And if you change your substrate every 6 months, which you shouldn't have to unless you're having regular bacterial blooms or flooding which I recommend looking into, why not keep a tally? You move all your molters, you said, so why not mark a check for each one that's in there and then count the ones that are still above ground? I don't know who each and everyone one of my crabs are either, mind you. They've changed considerably since I'd brought them home and they have names, I just don't know what they are anymore. But I know how many of each species I have exactly and that's because I feel that's a requirement of crabbing in order to give each individual what he or she needs.
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

mercury6 wrote:Your tank looks lovely. I viewed some of your photos, especially loved the one taken of your strawberry. The crabs must love the climbing surfaces. And now I'm going to rattle off a bunch of questions at you like a two-year-old. Do many of your crabs submerge in the pools? Do you find the pools provide enough humidity for this size tank? I have small freshwater and saltwater pools, but they don't pump out enough water into the air to compensate for the heating, so I'm constantly trying to balance. I'm using a humidifier to adjust as needed, but I'm wondering if the larger pools do the trick. Also, what kind of wood are you using and how is it standing up to the humidity? I used Mopani, but even after treating the wood it molded repeatedly and so I had to toss it. Aesthetically it's a great tank and I love the biodiversity. Good luck with it and your critters!
Yes! I frequently see, especially the strawberries, completely emerged. Most of the time, they're only partially submerged. I watched one change shells under the water the other day. I swear he pushed it into the water to clean it out on purpose. As far as humidity goes, yes. I believe the pools do meet this requirement. I'm adding water on each side on a weekly basis and monthly doing a water change. I also live in Florida near the water, though, so my air is naturally humid. For the wood, I'm using drift wood. You can go to any fish-specific store (also known as your lfs or local fish store) and get it. Driftwood doesn't mould. Try to get pieces that have already been soaked in water for long periods of time or else they'll leak tannin out.
Yuka wrote:I speak as if you're having surface molts.

That's great as if you have plans for a considerable upgrade but that is yearS from now. That is way too far ahead in the future. Rocky has a crab that was smaller than a walnut when she got him and two years later he's almost a jumbo. Many members on here have reported their smaller crabs turning into jumbos in a year.

For your ISO substrate, the substrate ANYWHERE should be sandcastle consistency. And as our caresheets say, is safe for any hermit crab because humid air = moist gills = easy breathing, the only downside is the increased capacity for mold growth. Does that mean that your ISO tank is bare? Is that what you're trying to say? [[[ My ISO tank has driftwood in it, driftwood doesn't mold. ]]] You are also not giving any basis for your claims other than your observations for an unspecified amount of time.
[[[ my claims are based on my observations of my crabs. I know my crabs. ]]]

And if you change your substrate every 6 months, which you shouldn't have to unless you're having regular bacterial blooms or flooding which I recommend looking into, why not keep a tally? [[[ I clean for good measure and I rarely do a complete substrate change, I mostly change in sections ]]] You move all your molters, you said, so why not mark a check for each one that's in there and then count the ones that are still above ground? [[[ the check is plausible but as I've said, I don't have the greatest memory. It's been, as it is, quite a few months since my last cleaning. ]]] I don't know who each and everyone one of my crabs are either, mind you. They've changed considerably since I'd brought them home and they have names, [[[ Lucky! I'm not good at names, I could never name mine ]]] I just don't know what they are anymore. But I know how many of each species I have exactly and that's because I feel that's a requirement of crabbing in order to give each individual what he or she needs. [[[ I'm inly unsure if the e's count because I'm not totally sure if two of them are E or not. I know I have two strawberries though. :) ]]]
P.s. I really do appreciate all of the help and criticism. At the end of the day, all I care about is the crabs. :(

Yuka

Post by Yuka » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 pm

I feel as if you're avoiding the major points.

You still haven't listed what detrimental effects you've witnessed, especially since one of the first things we recommend when crabs aren't being as active as they should be is to boost humidity. So are we wrong in saying that higher humidity is good? How are we harming our crabs? And because your wood doesn't mold, which is the only downside to higher humidity I can think of, I'm afraid I'm at a loss there.

As for cleaning, unless there are weirdly coloured spots appearing, you shouldn't have to touch the substrate at all. Beneficial bacteria builds up and by taking out substrate, you're reducing what's in there. And as for the crab numbers, get a white board from the dollar store and add and remove checks accordingly.

And if you're unsure of only the Es count, then that means that the PP count is more or less accurate. Even if they're overestimated by only a few, that is still too many for what you have as an enclosure. Just because you've never had anything bad happen doesn't mean it WON'T happen.

I'm sure you care about the crabs but once again I will reiterate that I feel as if you're brushing us off. While we are by no means experts (and no one here is since there is so much more to learn), when we say that there are too many crabs, it's because we've all learned from observing and from our own experiences how colony size can affect crab health. This is multiple people observing multiple instances from multiple owners in order to figure out what's what, not just you observing, for the sake of learning, one batch of crabs.
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:16 am

I have to agree that it sounds really overcrowded. even if you didn't have the big pools and other critters in there it would still be too small a tank to house that many LHC's, even temporarily. You'll end up with aggression, cannibalism, surface molts, disturbed molts, etc. and iso'ing molters is not a good solution at all, as others have mentioned. It's a nice looking setup and it shows that you've worked hard on it but it's just not ideal for your critters. as others have mentioned, setting up the iso tank and splitting up your colony would really be best until you can get the larger tank set up. and I'd really recommend a dedicated crabitat, not mixing them with other animals. that rarely works out. I know a couple people have successfully kept certain types of shrimp in large pools within crabitats successfully, but it's not easy. all the other things you have in there really concerns me :/
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Priya

Post by Priya » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 am

Yuka wrote:I...I....*faints*
I followed her.

Duds. You. Are. Amazing.
4 Purple Pinchers: Kraken, Lilith, Gilgamesh, Marilith
1 Straw: Tiamat
55g tank with about 10" playsand & EE substrate, fw bubbler pool, sw pool. Densely "planted" with cholla, cork barks and upper levels.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I think it's beautiful. It may not be big enough for the number of crabs, but it's lovely and I am too new to debate. I want to ask you about your pools. I've got built ins on my new 150. I'm going to filter them. I'd say they hold 2 gallons no more than 3 (I'll have to ask hubby again for the exact amount). Any advice on keeping them at their best? What to test for, how often, water changes?? I'd take any advice from someone knowledgable on the subject. Thanks!
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

HermitMickey00

Post by HermitMickey00 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 am

It is an absolutely gorgeous tank, I do agree whole-heartedly on that.
But I also agree that 40 crabs is way to many for the amount of LAND you have in that tank. These are land hermit crabs. I reccomend you move all those fish and such to a different tank, or lessen the amount of crabs you have. Because if you lessen the amount of water, I truly doubt you'll have enough room for all those fish. But with that amount of land, you don't have much room for the crabs.
Sure, you may have a gigantic tank, BUT most of that gorgeous tank is water. Which is fine. But that small space of land is way to little for 40 crabs. I've had three crabs get in a fight in a 10g! You may have experience, but it does not mean your invincible from bad molts or fighting.
As some others mentioned, having 40 jumbos isn't even good with a decent amount of land in that tank.
I thought you said you knew your crabs, so why don't you have a decent head count?
You asked for criticism. Don't think we won't give it!
In conclusion, this tank is gorgeous, just overcrowded.
Proud owner of:
Two GORGEOUS PP's- Speedy and Spotty
Two OUTSTANDING E's- Panda and Mickey Mouse

Iamar

Post by Iamar » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:36 pm

l love with what you have done with your tank. I had a 55 gallon tank but had only built a one gallon for freshwater and saltwater. Just reading your post made me realize that for my new tank that I better read up on saltwater to educate myself better. I went through your photobucket to get a better view on your tank and it's amazing on all the life that you have going on. I have in the past considered adding fish to the pools for more of a "flair" to the tank.

I would reconsider on your part the size of your colony. My pools were smaller and only had 11 various sizes of crabs.

My questions to you are how long did it take to get the walls up and stable?
Now a proud caretaker of Flower, Joffrey, Cersei, Yogi, Boo Boo, Snickers, Doodles, Ook, Sherbert, Barnaby, Lucky, Lalaee, and Ooaee.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Great looking tank. I love the pools, great for the hermies, especially the meticulously maintained SW pool chemistry. I would love to build a tank almost exactly like that but a 135gal or larger with some live plants and no more than 25~30 crabs. Have you thought about adding some pilbugs to the tank for cleaning?

As others have suggested, a bit over crowded. The fiddlers are cute but probably not necessary in a LHC tank. I would recommend pulling out the larger MHCs as they are big enough to possibly harm any of the smaller LHC who might venture into "the deep" wearing a shell they may find attractive. The smaller MHCs are likely ok. The fish are probably a great idea as the LHCs would normally encounter small fish in deep water and they aren't a threat to the LHCs. I would also suggest pulling out about a 15 of the PPs and putting them into your 55gal tank. Maybe you could rotate half of them between tanks every six months? The straws should definitely stay in the big tank with all that water. Your tank, your call. just my $0.02 which is only worth $0.0098 after taxes. ;)

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Mind you I am just throwing out an idea here. From what I have seen it is a really nice tank and all but maybe you could connect the two tanks using tubing. I have seen other crab owners do this and the crabs seem to really enjoy it. It would help your land shortage problem too. Give the crabs plenty of running room and keep Everyone happy as well as giving them molting room without ISO. Mine Molt on their own to and they have an ISO tank for any emergencies or a just in case tank. You never know what life will bring. I to am going to be upgrading our tank in a few months :). Lol probably get their house fully set up before mine :P. Connecting the tanks would really help the crabs and make them a lot happier. Plus I have learned that they just love having new things to explore. Good luck to you and hopefully maybe idk I helped give you an idea or helpful advise :).
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:30 pm

That's a great idea, Nia! I hadn't thought of that. Maybe with some 6" PVC pipe, a couple 45 degree elbows (up and over) and some coco fiber matting siliconed in for traction?

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:23 am

Glad I could help. I think the matting would work but you may want to make a less perm hold for easy cleaning. Just an idea idk how mess your crabs are but there are some out there that are destructo mags lol *looks at Herc*. If you could find clear tubing or even make your own so you can see them and watch them use it. Make it a fun project :). You have some great ideas going there and with a lil help make em a wonderful set up for everyone :). Can't wait til you can show us some new pics when it is done. Good luck with it :). It is good to be forever learning and discovering new things, crabs love this too.
:cheer:
You can deco the land side crazy to with vines and climbers, you know give them their perfect land playground. Have fun with it.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 pm

I just wanted to post an update. The tank is doing well, in its own ecosystem. I've since rehomed the majority of the crannies (took a while because I only trust certain people). I'm left with about 11, three being my previous strawberries.

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Image here's one happily submerged on his own accord.