I Present my 55 -> 90G setup!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I Present my 55 -> 90G setup!

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Wow, glad that you got the numbers down... Personally I feel that 11 is too much for that sized tank, however if it is working for you who am I to judge? :)
That straw looks like it is having a blast in the FW pool! Also do you clean out the pools, it looks like a lot of "organic matter" could be cleaned from the FW pool?
Last edited by aussieJJDude on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Yes of course. Most of that is driftwood though. They spend most of their time picking at it. That's a weekly buildup!

Snickers

Post by Snickers » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:54 am

Holy goodness! I clap.
Although, I do agree on the overcrowding count.
I've got a 55gal as well, and I only dare to have 18. XD I am a freak though.
I was given this tank for my birthday- It was filled with 20-25 crabs (It was an adoption). Many were large. I was naïve, and I lost a good... 10. They literally ate each other. It didn't matter if I separated them in ISO tanks, put dividers...
I am not going to judge you, but I severely urge you to try and get a larger tank. I learnt the hard way, I had crabs eat each other. It was an extremely scary experience and I seriously asked myself if I was a suitable crab owner. I made changes, and now, I have 18 happy hermits who keep me laughing all the time.
I fully admit, I am not the perfect owner. I make mistakes.
From personal experience, I warn you, cannibalism is very scary and I hope you can avoid it. Bigger tanks can be found on Craigslist, Kjiji (Canada, idk where you are located) and other sites online. Often for very cheap.
Best of luck!
Crabby mom since '11
Snickers, Cleodora, Areo, Caramilk, Turbo, Turbulence, Eyowen, Smarties, Thor, Loki, Odin, Bilbo, Biggie, Alvin, Tiger, Juliette, Rascal and Bermuda!

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Snickers wrote:Holy goodness! I clap.
Although, I do agree on the overcrowding count.
I've got a 55gal as well, and I only dare to have 18. XD I am a freak though.
I was given this tank for my birthday- It was filled with 20-25 crabs (It was an adoption). Many were large. I was naïve, and I lost a good... 10. They literally ate each other. It didn't matter if I separated them in ISO tanks, put dividers...
I am not going to judge you, but I severely urge you to try and get a larger tank. I learnt the hard way, I had crabs eat each other. It was an extremely scary experience and I seriously asked myself if I was a suitable crab owner. I made changes, and now, I have 18 happy hermits who keep me laughing all the time.
I fully admit, I am not the perfect owner. I make mistakes.
From personal experience, I warn you, cannibalism is very scary and I hope you can avoid it. Bigger tanks can be found on Craigslist, Kjiji (Canada, idk where you are located) and other sites online. Often for very cheap.
Best of luck!

I have about 13, five strawberries (I've since acquired two more after my last update) and 8 of my eldest pp's, in a 90. You have about 18 in a 55, so I'm a little confused as to why you're recommending I rehome some of them..?

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:41 am

I don't think they saw the update to your numbers before replying.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

Makena95GT

Post by Makena95GT » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:35 am

No LR in the SW pool? Or are you just using that filter? Cause being an expert in reefs youd know that filters are a no no in SW tanks as they harbor nitrates. Id just toss a small piece of porous LR in there to host anaerobic bacteria to consume nitrates

Topic author
RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:32 am

Makena95GT wrote:No LR in the SW pool? Or are you just using that filter? Cause being an expert in reefs youd know that filters are a no no in SW tanks as they harbor nitrates. Id just toss a small piece of porous LR in there to host anaerobic bacteria to consume nitrates

There's about 7lbs of liverock in there. I'm not sure where you're looking, but it's there. As far as the filter goes, it's just something neat that blends into the look and provides flow. I do keep some ion resins in there to assist with filtration.

Currently, actually, it's home to a large portion of Chaetomorpha that consumes what little organic waste that is produced on that side. Also, fun fact, my strawberries love to completely submerge themselves and snack on it. It's wonderful to see, because that means in the wild, they must go into the ocean and eat seaweed/etc.

crabby1

Post by crabby1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Wow, I feel stupid I didn't see the updates he made. I still would like to know what happened because if I read this correctly there were still some hermit crabs in the ecosystem. I wonder sometimes if anything could co exist in a system I guess I can look into things like that but its definitely not for me. I'm also going to try to find out how longest app or any other hermit crab has been known to live in captivity? I know in the wild the can live to be pretty old.