Smoothing Ragged Shell Openings

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:41 pm

This might seem like a silly question, but how do you smooth the openings of shells you find? I bought some recently with somewhat jagged openings. Do you file them with a file, which would seem like the obvious way to do it? Has anyone found an easier way?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 pm

I would think that you could use a nail clippers at first if there are some parts that are really jagged, and then a nail file to smooth the rest down. Make sure there isn't a crab in it first! I also would wonder if it would be easier/harder to do if the shell was wet? Let us know how this works out.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:47 pm

I use a dremell to file/smooth out my shells and in my opinion it's better if they are dry because of all the dust that comes off of the shell.Sandra

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:06 am

I would only trim the very jagged parts with a nail file or a wire cutter, but the thicker the shell the more likely it'll be to split it either way... perhaps a Dremel tool with the sanding wheel?Of course, hermits do clip the shells themselves so it's easier for their eyestalks to peek out, so it may not be the best idea to smooth shells to perfection.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:09 am

I use a dremell or bench grinder but in a pinch concrete sidewalks or driveways are great. Just put the rough side to the concrete and move it back and forth quickly until smooth.(only takes a few seconds) Just be sure to wash the powder off of the shell. I used to sharpen popsicle sticks this way as a young boy. It really works great for shells.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:42 am

I use a pumice stone thats has a handle (for feet) A really hard white one. It works great and can file down anything

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:44 pm

I rubbed a shell on a pumice stone, too, but the shell was harder than the stone and was digging a hole in it! I had more success with a manucure file, but I prefered to use a sandy one because I was affraid the metallic file would let some "residue" embedded in the scratches.I will try concrete in some months! We're in winter, up here!

Topic author
kuplakrabs

Post by kuplakrabs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:42 pm

Guilty of using the concrete just out side the back door! LOL. I use sand paper on the inside of the shell if there are rough spots that might irritate their abdomen.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:16 pm

I find that a dremell burns the shell and leaves a smell. i use small metal jeweler files (ebay) and i have had great success with this method.