Can I bring home shells from the beach?

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:23 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but Im still sorta new to this....Im going to Florida in 2 weeks and today it occured to me that maybe I can go shell hunting on the beach while Im there. Is it ok (legal, whatever) and safe for my hermies if I bring home shells straight from the beach? Obviously I would boil them and make sure they are clean... but is there any problems with doing this?? Im thinking, why buy them if i can get natural ones.... right??

Topic author
PSUPrncess10

Post by PSUPrncess10 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am

I dont see why it would be illegal.... I definitely bring shells home off the beach for them every year from North Carolina (this year I brough back a huge bucket of sand too)... I would also suggest looking in gift shops down there for wearable shells for them and sponges - I always stock up on shells and sponges at gift shops in NC because theyre soooo much cheaper there than in the pet stores and theres more of a variety... have fun in Florida!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:01 am

Here is why I wouldn't do it. If you do it's taking shells from wild Hermies Some of us here at LHC sent shells with other members of LHC that have gone to the Ocean and offered those Hermies new shells. It really was a great feeling My Sister and I sent boxes of shells to Christa (the owner of LHC) she and some other Members layered the beach with them for the wild Hermies So I guess it's really up to you...Sandra