Thoughts about shells

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author
Nicole

Thoughts about shells

Post by Nicole » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:07 pm

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced these things, or can comment on them.1) Do crabs know when they are being offered the same shells over and over again, and when they are being offered new shells? I have noticed that the same crabs that seem bored with their current lot of shells, will go crazy when a new shell is offered to them. I've even tested this out on multiple occasions by putting only one new shell in a bin of old shells, and it seems as if the new shell gets tried on at least once each time.2) Do crabs know when a shell has been worn by another crab? This has also happened more than once to me, that a recently vacated shell has been "snapped up" by another tankmate, while the unused shells aren't even noticed.Just some thoughts that I had. Let me know what you think.
~ crabbing since 2003

Thoughts about shells

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:40 am

I too have tested this and I agree with you on both counts... My results were the same as yours, Hermie like new and broken in clothes, I mean shells lolSandra

Thoughts about shells

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:10 am

I have noticed that new shells will be tried on, especially by the "Diva" crab; but some new shells go conspicuously ignored (I think it has to do with the shape of it). And the recently vacated shells are always a big hit! What is up with that? Do they like that just sat in warm feeling in the shells or something?

Thoughts about shells

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:28 pm

I tend to agree. Mine crabs get bored with the same old shells and end up using them as toilets mostly. But when I put a new batch of shells in there...there is all kinds of shell shopping and interested parties...

Topic author
Nicole

Thoughts about shells

Post by Nicole » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:40 pm

Happy_Crabbies, LOL. See, and people think hermit crabs aren't very intelligent. It takes a really discerning animal to recognize a new shell among twenty or so old shells, know when another shell has been used, and especially to know to use open shells as a toilet to keep the substrate clean.Thanks all for your comments.
~ crabbing since 2003