Crabs Who Want Back their Old Shells After Switching?

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:11 am

The crab I have had the longest (for about a year) finally switched shells the other night (it's way too big for him, but he loves it). Anyways, another crab took the first crabs shell. I noticed that my crabs sometimes switch back to their original shells after a few days. This is the first time an original shell is taken by another crab. Will they end up fighting over it if there is a problem?

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:12 am

Nearly impossible to say. Best thing you can do is provide a few more shells more his size in case he decides he does not like the newer, bigger shell afterall.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:05 pm

This has happened to me. I had to take a crab out and ISO her overnight because she was determined to get back her original shell, which was happily being occupied by another crab. She was mad. By the next morning, she was ready to go back in the tank and seemed more settled in her new shell. Just keep an eye out and watch if the previous owner goes after his old shell. Try to put in shells that look similar in shape and size to the old shell as well. Hopefully, there will be no problems.
~ crabbing since 2003