Shell too heavy for crab to move!

Archived seashell-specific information.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:43 am

I had this little (and I mean little) guy in ISO for about two weeks. His friend and him seemed ready to meet the main tank. When I put them in I watched closely making sure every one would get along ok. It was then that I noticed the shell he had changed into looked a little heavy. So heavy in fact that he can’t even drag it an inch. So back into Iso he goes, with a circle of new (better fitting) shells and a morsel of food right near by. It has been 3 days and he just won’t change. He hasn’t moved from that spot either (he has turned and shifted). I trade out the shells every 24-48 hours so he has plenty to choose from. What else can i do?

Hermie Luver

Post by Hermie Luver » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:54 am

Have you tried the saltwater trick? Put some saltwater into the shells. That might work. Hopefully he changes soon!

Topic author
Nicole

Post by Nicole » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:37 pm

I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried tilting his shell a little backwards so he can come out? It may be so heavy that he can hardly lift up. If you gently tilt him back so he can stretch his legs out and have a good, lightweight shell waiting right there he might be more tempted to switch.
~ crabbing since 2003

kuplakrabs

Post by kuplakrabs » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:46 pm

I had to do the same thing Nicole. My XL PP changed into a shell that was way too large for her and she could not position it in such a manner to let her get out. I had to help her a bit. As soon as I did, she changed immediately.