Reusing old shells

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author

Reusing old shells

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:18 pm

I have been keeping crabs for 10 years and built up quite a few spare shells. About a quarter of the shells are 'missing' the center column inside the shell or it has been partially chipped away. I have been removing these damaged shells as soon as I see them. I thought I saw or read somewhere that this part of the shell is often removed by a crab as it grows or moves into shell. Does anyone have an answer or has seen the same thing happening? I have also seen on a differant post that I should boil new shells before adding them to the crabitat. Should I remove and boil any shells that have not been 'used' for a while, especially if they have been buried before reintroducing them to the crabs. I have several shells left over after crab deaths. Should these also be boiled? Thanks

Topic author
Ren1216

Reusing old shells

Post by Ren1216 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:31 pm

I think shells from a crab who has died should probably be boiled, just in case of bacteria or disease. New shells should ALWAYS be boiled. As for shells that have just been lying around in your tank, no I dont think those HAVE to be boiled really. I do rinse mine out when I dig them up and they are full of sand or EE (using dechlorinated water), then I dip them in the salt water dish before dropping them in the pile. Cant really help you with that other question though, maybe someone else can tell you for sure. Crabs do sometimes nip off pieces of their shells in order to custom-fit them to their liking... but I would think a shell that has missing sections, especially inside, would not be so comfortable to the next crab, but what do I know? Im just a silly human

Topic author
kuplakrabs

Reusing old shells

Post by kuplakrabs » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:50 pm

I have purchased brand spanking new shells-whorls intact, boiled them and put them in the tank. I watched as the crabs put them on, so I know they were wearing new shells. Interestingly enough, when they eventually switched out of those shells, the inside whorls were missing. I have been puzzled by how they go about this. Are they applying pressure with their abdomens to break off pieces??...or are they somehow getting their claws in there and whittling away at the shell?... I have on occasion found shell pieces in the substrate and suspect they are the discarded ones from the modified shells.I reuse shells from deceased hermies all the time. I just make sure I boil them for ten minutes

Crabby Abby

Reusing old shells

Post by Crabby Abby » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:11 am

If a shell is new or a crab has passed on or spent any length of time in it, I boil it and dip it in salt water. The only time I don't do it is if they are shell shopping and wear one for less than a day. I do it because they poop in them, even though they push it out. I notice more dirt comes out when I boil than when they get rinsed in salt water no matter how well I try to rinse them. And I remove all damaged shells. Better safe than sorry where their little abdomens are concerned.I found this to be interesting as I've never noticed any other crab do it before. Baby sampled several new shells this week. Each time she tried one on, she first ducked all the way in to make sure she could retreat fully and then without coming back out, she put two legs on the opening and moved them a fraction at a time until she did 2 complete 360's, I guess to make sure she had full mobility. It looked kinda funny to see her legs facing the wrong way.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

Reusing old shells

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:27 am

I have a shell with the middle thing missing, and a small pp in it. the shell is really just a hollow and i have no idea how she is staying in it. I wouldn't say these shells are great, and probably difficult to stay in but if the crabs like them and move in from another shell than they are fine. Just make sure you have shells with them if you have shells without in there, so they can have a choice, other than that, it is really up to them