glass shells and racing

Archived seashell-specific information.

Miko

glass shells and racing

Post by Miko » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 am

what dose every one think about the glass shells??and i saw vids on youtube with crab races, whats to get ur thoughts on that as well
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

finalfantasyxii

glass shells and racing

Post by finalfantasyxii » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 am

The glass shells are AWESOME. You can totally buy them. The only thing is to hope your crab picks them because they cost like $20 and up!The crab races are mostly inhumane, I think... the crabs are not in proper conditions... a lot of painted shells... From what I've seen no bueno
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

glass shells and racing

Post by JediMasterThrash » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I think it's cool to be able to see the crabs butt in the glass shell Just hope they don't dive off the ceiling onto something hard.Normally a glass shell would not be ideal because it would be too air tight and thick. The crab shell should be slightly permeable and cooling and calcium shells are thinner.But a crab can figure out what kind of shell they need so I figure if they choose a glass shell and don't have a problem with it, props to em.Crab races totally not cool though.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Keg

glass shells and racing

Post by Keg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 am

I wouldn't recommend glass shells because (if I recall correctly) some glass is made to be used with food, other glass is not. If the glass has a lot of lead in it, it can leach out when in contact with your pet.The glass shells I saw didn't say anything about this. But they did offer an option where they were tinted gold or platinum. The chemicals used to make them are probably not safe if I recall. I don't think they archived the research I did, so the links are lost.If I thought they were safe, Azazul would be driving around in a platinum shell.

Candy

glass shells and racing

Post by Candy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't like glass shells at all! I mean they're not natural. I don't care what they're made of...They just don't feel right !

Nnnnnnnn

glass shells and racing

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm

I don't think glass shells should be used. Crabs go into their shells to hide/have privacy, and clear glass really doesn't do that too well.

finalfantasyxii

glass shells and racing

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 am

I think glass shells would not be any more breakable than regular shells. And the crabs don't see the way we do so I doubt they have any concept of "see-through" or privacy. The point about lead is valid - I'm quite sure the tinted glass shells are no good.I still think - providing you could verify what kind of glass was used - if the hermit crab chooses a glass shell it would be pretty cool. I mean, it's not like we're forcing them in there.And actually all the shells we humans buy and sell are putting wild hermies out of a home. In a lot of places there aren't enough shells for the hermit crabs who live there. So trying to find synthetic ways of making shells (even though it's not "natural") is something that will help the hermit crab world population as a whole.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/