Something unusual you may not know about me is...

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't think everyone hears and sees books. People who love to read, they probably all do, but I think it takes a certain amount of practise...which many readers have done so early in childhood, they can't even remember.I went to hear Neil Gaiman read a while ago and I hear his books in his voice now, he is very good at read alound. "The City of Dreaming Books" by Walter Moers has a sort of prissy voice because that's how I imagine Optimus Yarnspinner, the main character, sounds Something unusual you may not know about me.I suffer from sleep paralysis. I wake up, I can't move and I have the very creepy feeling that there is something in the room with me. Sometimes I hear voices or see things from the corner of my eye. Until I learned what exactly was happening, it was very frightening. These days, I know how to wake me up and I may decide to just enjoy the feeling
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Nicole, Yeah, apparently not everyone does that. My sister says she never sees a scene when she's reading. Which to me, explains a lot. She pretty much only reads Stephen King for fun, and she never really enjoyed reading as a kid. I mean, she could read just fine, but she said it wasn't fun. Well, if you can't see the scene in your head, no wonder! I don't generally have to look up towns or anything like that, because I'm fine with letting my imagination make up what the place looks like. Judging by the nightmares I get, I have somewhat overactive imagination, however. Which, if I may be self involved, leads me to another unusual tidbit: I have an overactive imagination. This isn't as fun as it sounds. Aside from the nightmares, it makes my anxiety issues worse. (You know that whole imagining worst case scenarios? When you've got a vivid imagination, that worst case can get pretty bad) And it makes me unreliable. I think I remember events very clearly. I'd swear something happened at a particular time up and down. And then, it turns out, nope. My imagination filled in some (or a lot of) details for me. Great, huh? Turns me into the girl who cried wolf, and makes it tough for me to trust myself.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

I don't think anything I have read so far is unusual, everyone has their own talents or quirks. I can hear voices and if I know the authors voice I can hear that voice when I read. I don't see dead people but believe there is an after life & they want our attention {ghost}I can dream things over & over & then what I dream comes true, our trailor burnt after a yr of dreaming it & things that happened in my dream happened in real life. My quirk is the arrangement of things. everything must be centered or balanced, if I go to my friends house, I phyically become ill! everything is shoved against the wall, the walls have stuff just hanging everywhere, I leave with headaches. I had to re do my sons apartment because things were off centered.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 am

NoddalotaFarm,I don't think I could ever get used to seeing dead people. You mind if I ask you a few questions?? I find this fascinating...How do you feel about life and death?Especially since you see dead people,do they not go to heaven??Are these people that died tragically??Or maybe they don't know if they are gone?Do they try to comminicate with you?I assume they are wearing clothes?Can you see through them or can you definitely tell the difference? Have you tried to touch one??How long do you see them?>?Is it like a flash or can you stare at them?Sorry,a few more questions then I intended.If you don't want to answer this it's okay,don't feel pressured.

Topic author
Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 am

quote:Originally posted by NoddalottaFarm:Okay, *that* would freak me out. I am claustrophobic to the highest degree... if you hold my arms down, I can't breathe. If I woke up and couldn't move, it would be over for me. I used to have difficulties breathing or imagined I did - the old tale of a succubus (or some creature) sitting on your chest and stealing your breath probably comes from sleep paralysis.I can break it by twitching, like you sometimes do when you are falling asleep. Just moving a finger is enough, but it does take concentration.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 am

quote:Originally posted by NoddalottaFarm:quote:Originally posted by LAURIE:I can dream things over & over & then what I dream comes true So you have premonitions? Have you ever had a premonition about a natural disaster or do they always revolve around your personal life? Do you consider it a "gift" or a "curse"?I guess I really don't think to much about it, it is what it is. mostly just family & family life. if I can't sleep & I don't sleep anyway but eventually do go to bed, but if it's one of these I'm up all night &wide awake, someone usually has died that I know & I don't know it yet. I dream in color to.The metaphysical world amazes me!!

eyohkay

Post by eyohkay » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 am

quote:Originally posted by Jedediah:Just moving a finger is enough, but it does take concentration. Sleep paralysis happens to me every so often, usually when I'm overly stressed about school. Concentrating on moving a finger is generally how I pull myself out of it as well. I personally think it's the most awful feeling in the world, haha. Every time it happens, I try and tell myself that I'm fine and not to panic the next time around, but I still end up flipping out. Normally I can hear everything around my very clearly when it's happening, but there was one instance where I fell asleep to a thunderstorm CD. I was woken up by the sound of it skipping VERY loudly and the inability to move, and when I finally pulled myself out of the paralysis, the skipping wasn't actually happening. As if that wasn't weird enough, I rolled over and in a state of half consciousness, saw a clown smiling at me from the end of the bed. I think I was still just sort of dreaming, but I didn't go back to sleep after that one! Haha.Unusual things you may not know about me:I have three obsessions in life. Giraffes, yellow, and Pee-wee Herman.I have just about everything you can possible imagine in giraffe or giraffe print. Purses, jackets, blankets, shirts, keychains, stickers on my laptop. It's a little out of control.Mustard. Yellow. Is the Greatest. Color. Ever. Purses, shoes, shirts, my winter coat, dishes, even my passport cover. People who don't know me refer to me as "oh, that girl that always wears yellow?" Yeah, it's that bad.If I had the chance to marry Pee-wee Herman, I probably would. I own every episode of Pee-wee's Playhouse on DVD (including the Christmas special), most of his movies, a ring, a framed poster, a lunchbox, and I realllly want a tattoo of Pteri, haha. And no, Paul Reubens is not a child molester. If you think I'm super weird for this, try watching Pee-wee's Playhouse now that you're older... it has a lot of hidden adult humor that you couldn't catch when you were a kid. I've seen every episode a countless number of times and I still laugh so hard I cry every time I watch him. My humor is a bit odd though, so maybe it's just me, haha.I also have deformed toes. My joints are fused in some of them, so they don't bend.

Nnnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

I have a few of the ones already listed I dreamed that Benjamin was up from his molt sure enough he was I also have an over active imagination and I see visions of scenes from books and I hear different voices from the books to its sorta weird and sometimes my brain likes to tell me to do thing that one side of my brain says no to and the other says YES YES YES.

rototee

Post by rototee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am

Sleep Paralysis used to happen to me when I was younger, I would say up until I turned 30 or so. Like you said, just moving a finger was enough to bring me out of it. It usually only happened to me after I would have a nightmare, so it was a very frightening experience for me. I too hear what I am reading and can see the scenes. But I am an avid reader. I just always thought that everyone did. I have never had a premonition, but I have had several episodes of dejavu. You know, the feeling that you have been her and done that. I don't know if I have dreamed it, or what, but that is a very creepy feeling.I don't think that I could handle seeing dead people. Although I would love to be able to see my Mom and Dad. If for no other reason, just to make sure they are okay.

tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am

I have a question for all you "hears-voices-while-reading" people:When you read our posts here at LHC, do you assign voices to us? Just curious what you might imagine me sounding like, having never heard me speak outloud. How goofy is it that I'm even concerned about that?

Korckina

Post by Korckina » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am

quote:I see dead people. I've always been hoping I'd find another one! I also see people who've passed. Most of my family doesn't believe me and it can get tough. I don't know who I see but I do know that I've never seen relatives. I've talked to a couple of them without knowing they were dead until someone asked who I was talking to. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know I'm not as crazy as I think. Thank you.

rototee

Post by rototee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 am

quote:Just curious what you might imagine me sounding like, having never heard me speak outloud That's the beauty of having a vivid imagination!! I don't know how it is for everyone else, but if I know age, whether female or male, I can hear I guess what an average person of that gender/age would sound like. Just a generalized voice I guess you would say.

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Korckina, I know you're a student; Noddalotta would you mind sharing your age group with us? I'm curious if you're quite young as well.When my brother was just a tot he used to sit in his crib and talk to, wave to and laugh at people or things we couldn't see.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Nnnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

quote:I have a question for all you "hears-voices-while-reading" people:When you read our posts here at LHC, do you assign voices to us? Well when I read these posts I just put my voice in. Its sorta weird cuz you se scenes too...

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

quote:Originally posted by tnyfootprntz:I have a question for all you "hears-voices-while-reading" people:When you read our posts here at LHC, do you assign voices to us? Just curious what you might imagine me sounding like, having never heard me speak outloud. How goofy is it that I'm even concerned about that? lol If I don't know the voice, I just hear my own voice saying the words in my head.I imagine you would have a nice Southern accent though Sue, possibly medium range, not too high?
~ crabbing since 2003