Aquasaurs?????

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
jojo7

Aquasaurs?????

Post by jojo7 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:18 am

(sorry a little long winded) "Santa" gave my son a Christmas gift that he had on his list...it was called, "Aquasaurs."After doing some online Christmas shopping, "Santa" found these aquasaurs and bought them...Apparently, i had no idea what this was until we opened the kit up and set it all up...Supposedly these "Aquasaurs" (scientific name, Triops Launcauditus) are creatures that lived during the dinosaur period and have continued to live today...they are the oldest living creatures that still live...My son and I set up the tank and did exactly what we were instructed to do...(the kit comes with the eggs and food)...according to the instructions, these eggs hatch within 2-3 days and if none are hatched, we were to add more eggs...since none hatched, we added more eggs...as of yesterday, i broke the sad news that these Aquasaurs are not hatching and possibly are dead...Well, as of this morning, i was cleaning up my kitchen (the aquasaur tank is on my kitchen countertop)and i decided to look at the tank one more time before i disposed of everything...i took a flashlight and low and behold, there is something swimming around...the size of a piece of dust!!!...i look harder and i see one more and another...until i am seeing about 15 of them!!!...i noticed there is one that is larger than the others and i get a better look at him...I'm thinking, "is it me, or are these so called, "Aquasaurs" brine shrimp??????"...i cant believe it!!!...i was so commited to raising these aquasaurs everyday worrying that the tank was the right temp etc...and all i did was hatch brine shrimp???!!...its almost comical to me...my husband thought it was crazy that "Santa" got this set up for my son as it is...now i cant wait to hear him laugh at me for raising brine shrimp.... Has anyone heard of these creatures??...i did a Google search and found nothing but advertisements for the kit my son got...but no scientific information...i feel like such a dope thinking we're actually hatching pre-historic creatures in my kitchen....

Topic author

Aquasaurs?????

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:16 am

LOL I feel your pain, I was about 22 years old when we got my Daughter some "Sea Monkeys" and we really thought that's what they were until some one told me that they were just brine shrimp. I felt like a goober Santa is so good at making us look silly isn't he..Sandra

Topic author
SeaShellE

Aquasaurs?????

Post by SeaShellE » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 am

Actually several other LHCers have raised these. They are not brine shrimp. Here is this link to triops.

Topic author
jojo7

Aquasaurs?????

Post by jojo7 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks SeaShellE for the link...thats exactly what they looked like on the box of the kit...but i swear these things dont look like that...they look just like brine shrimp...hopefully one will get big enough for me to take a picture so you guys can see for yourself...Love4HermitCrabs...we did the "Sea Monkeys" thing too...they didnt live so long and my son was so upset the last one finally died...You think i would have learned!..

Topic author
jojo7

Aquasaurs?????

Post by jojo7 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:06 pm

SeaShellE...i looked at the gallery of pic's on that link you sent...the more i look at the pic's the more i'm thinking they are triops...they have the same feathery looking things underneath which is making me think they are brine shrimp...they are soooooooo tiny right now i cant really tell...some are as small as a spec of dust!...Thanks for the link...

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Aquasaurs?????

Post by Jedediah » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 pm

I raised those as a kid with help from ym mom and I think they are awesome. They can get pretty big and you see the resemblance to horseshoe crabs very much then, I loved that.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author
jojo7

Aquasaurs?????

Post by jojo7 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:43 am

Jedediah, i was hoping you would respond to this post...how big did your triops get??...from what i'm reading these things should only get to be about 2 inches...how long did your live and what did you feed them...update: in just one day, these Aqausaurs have grown double in size...they are now the size of a gnat...

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Aquasaurs?????

Post by Jedediah » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:59 am

This was about 20 years ago, so I cannot really remember how long they lived, but two months sounds about right. We fed them some food that came with the kit and after that, normal fish food. I guess mine reached a length of 2 inches, maybe a bit more. At that time, I thought they were huge, but then I was small myself I hadn't though of them in a long time until I saw some real horseshoe crabs at the zoo.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author
kuplakrabs

Aquasaurs?????

Post by kuplakrabs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:22 pm

My son got one of these last year at Christmas from his Aunt and I had the same experience...put the eggs in, nothing...put some more in, nothing. Kept going until the entire packet was gone. I followed the directions exactly and still nothing. I wonder if I was hasty in tossing the water??? LOL I didn't peek one last time like jojo did. I just figured it was another one of those gimicky things...