Spiritual subjects

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:08 am

"Divine Mother, open wide the bud of my devotion and release its fragrance, that it may spread from my soul to the soul of all others, ever whispering of Thee."- Paramahansa YoganandaAs promised, I am now opening this thread. I hope that we all may be able to have some great discussions and sharing of our beliefs, in an atmosphere of mutual respect. That is my hope!I believe, myself, in a combination of spiritual beliefs, all reflecting aspects of my life experience, interests and inclinations. Having mostly grown up in Asia, I carry close to my heart many of the teachings of Buddha. My brushes with Monks in childhood had really touched something. Releasing Lotus flowers down a river to speed a spirits passage to the next, and the mediatation there of by the Monks, is an experience that cannot be described, but felt. Many of the traditions that are handed down in any Way of Life or Religion has a purpose. The physical act is helping the alignment between the body and the spirit, making it much easier to comprehend and be balanced. This may be said of Buddhism, Native American beliefs, Judaism, Christianity, and thousands of other beliefs that circle the globe. So, in my understanding, many faiths have at the core the same essential idea, even if the mechanics, prayers and method of living is different. I think transcending the spiritual barrier to connect with all human beings in the world is essential for the next evolutionary step to occurr. For what Spirit, in all things, would condone hatred, violence and dominance of others who do not share the same beliefs?I also believe in the old systems of medicene, as I have personally experienced being saved from them.I have embraced many Native American beliefs, primarily those from Cherokee, Lakota Sioux, Shawnee, and others on smaller scale. As I am part Cherokee, this process of discovering more has opened my eyes to things I have always taken for granted, and did not realize some of these things are not felt on a grander scale. I also believe that all people can understand their Spirit. What the spirit means to you or me will be different. I don't really know the best way to start a thread such as this, I will just keep coming back and adding as I have time. I ask the same of anybody who is interested, because sharing is the most important thing in a subject like this. I have no answers for anyone regarding these subjects except to explain what I believe. Answers must come to you on your paths in time. I have found, though, that like Buddhist monks in Asia, that real spirituality takes work and dedication. Instantanious cures and answers do not just happen, but can come to those who have disciplined themselves and are open to The Spirit and their Own Spirit. The Spirit works gradually and softly, like a great teacher. The Spirit does not just give us answers, but asks that we study and work to find them. In this way, our spirits grow, mature and learn. In each of our lives, we are here to learn something.I will add more later!Gertie

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:52 am

Some background on Native American thought. There are different ways of thinking for public life, individual spiritual life, and the medicene people. You will find this set-up in the majority of religions in the world. Many of the sacred philosophies have been lost due to the destruction of the Medicene People, their teachings and life styles, and conversion of the Indian Nations to Christianity.The medicene people not only learned the healing arts, but also extra-sensory perception. What this conjures up in your head may also be different from what I refer to here. It is the spiritual eye, that each of us has, and may be opened. It is not someone sitting over a crystal ball, or on the phone charging you for things. And what is revealed is not always the complete version. Remember, the Spirit is teaching us, and shows us things when we're ready, so we may learn more. We are here to learn something. We are being prepped. The Coyote spirit uses gentle wisdom to GUIDE people TO KNOW. But to know, people need to learn and work on their spirituality first.Native philosophy has always centered around the general idea that each person must come to know the Great Spirit for themselves. This is how we come to learn of our own personal medicenes.Native American beliefs hinge on the concept that all truth is found in nature.When the Great Spirit wishes something to be known, it is manifest in Nature for us to understand."The Lakota was a true Naturist- a lover of Nature. He loved the earth and all things of the earth, the attachment growing with age. The old people came literally to love the soil and they sat or reclined on the ground with a feeling of being close to a mothering power. It was good for the skin to touch the earth and the old people liked to remove their moccasins and walk with bare feet on the sacred earth. Their tipis were built upon the earth and their altars were made of the earth. The birds that flew in the air came to rest on the earth and it was the final abiding place of all things that lived and grew. The soil was soothing, strengthening, cleansing and healing."That is why the old Indian still sits upon the earth instead of propping himself up and away from its life-giving forces. For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply and to feel more keenly; he can see more clearly into the mysteries of life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him..."Kinship with all creatures of the earth, sky and water was a real and active principle. For the animal and bird world there existed a brotherly feeling that kept the Lakota safe among them and so close did some of the Lakotas come to their feathered and furred friends that in true brotherhood they spoke a common tongue...."The old Lakota was wise. He knew that a man's heart away from Nature necomes hard; he knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to a lack of respect for humans too. So he kept his youth close to its softening influence."-Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux(Land of the Spotted Eagle, Luther Standing Bear, 1933, pp.192-97)

Topic author
The_Spirit_Mist

Spiritual subjects

Post by The_Spirit_Mist » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:06 am

hmm... this is gonna get messy, I can feel it..as for me, I'm a devout baptist. I believe all have sinned, no human is perfect or sinnless. I believe the payment for sin is death. I believe in salvation through Jesus Christ, as he is the way, truth, and life. I believe in Christ as messiah, born of a vergin, perfect, sinless lamb of God. I believe his crusifacation served as payment for the sin of man, and by excepting this free gift of salvarion, one is saved and given eternal life. I believe in a litteral heck. I recognize satan as a induvigual. I do not believe in salvation through baptism. I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and is 100% enerrant. I believe the universe was created by God in 7 days, el nilho. out of nothing. I believe evolution is false and a lie that many people believe.

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:22 am

Oh, Spirit Mist, I don't understand why anything has to get messy unless someone takes someone else's belief too personally! I hope not. "Truth" is a flexible perception, based on the need of the teller. I read that once. It is a wonderful idea to meditate on, as it can be applied to Truth, Love, Respect and Honesty. It is my hope through this thread to keep Truth, Love, Respect and Honesty our main focal point in discussing our different beliefs.For, if human beings cannot get along in a small group, it does not leave alot of hope for the world.Anyway, Chris, I hope we can keep this a wonderful thread, which it has already started to become!And Keri46, I believe that the spirit comes to each of us in a form that we can understand and handle. ANd that form will not be the same person to person. I wish you luck! I find it very interesting learning about different beliefs and religions myself! Following your heart is the only advice I could really ever give anyone!Gertie

Topic author
The_Spirit_Mist

Spiritual subjects

Post by The_Spirit_Mist » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:26 am

In reply to:"Truth" is a flexible perceptionis it?

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:34 am

Chris, very good question!. Truth itself is truth. Every person alive has a different perception of what truth is when applied to what they think and believe. If truth were black and white, everyone would agree on one single perception of truth. The statement that "Truth is a flexible perception based on the Need of the Teller" is something which is good to meditate on. The phrase to meditate on is not "Truth is a flexible perception", that will have different answers and connotations. Instead meditate on "Truth is a flexible perception BASED on the need of the teller". I hope I explained that well enough! Gertie

Topic author
The_Spirit_Mist

Spiritual subjects

Post by The_Spirit_Mist » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:43 am

-sigh- I understand the statment. but truth is black and white. either something is right, or it is wrong. if you believe that it's ok for you to go to the mall and shoot someone in the head with a a 22, and you believe that it's perfectly fine. you are wrong. heck, you can believe it all you want, but you're still gonna get hauled away. just because an induvigual believes in his own truth, dose not mean it is an actual truth!and please, no one go out to your mall and start shooting people.

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:48 am

You do not understand me, Chris. This statement is for deep meditational purposes. If we do not question ourselves or challenge ourselves, we will not see deeper truth. This statement I introduced is not an answer, so please do not view it as such.As far as perceptions go every human being alive has a different perception. There is no black and white. For instance, if I have cancer, and refuse treatment, what is my perception? What is my doctors perception? WHat is my friend's perception? WHat are the various perceptions of my loved ones? Who is right in their perception? It is one of those kind of questions. For meditational purposes.I swear, CHris, up and down, I am not talking of whether it is right or wrong of taking someone's life at the mall! Please believe me!Gertie

Topic author

Spiritual subjects

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:46 am

Hi all, I was raised Christian, Lutheran, to be exact. My mother always raised us to have a questioning mind, even in matters of Religion. I had always been drawn to Wicca, starting really, when I was about 18 or so. I starting reading about it, here, there, everywhere. But, the time wasn't right for me to make the "jump". However, I started hearing the ebb and flow of all that was and is around me, and decided to start my long path to become a Wiccan. I haven't regretted it one second. Peace, light & eternal love..)0(