(NEW) Pic's of our Aquasaurs!

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:01 am

i cant believe how these things have tripled in size!!...they really are prehistoric looking...hope you can make out what they are...

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:04 am

i cant figure out how to put two attachments on one post...so here's the other picture...these things move really fast, so it was really hard to get them to stay still...lol

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:59 am

They are awesome Do you have any more problems with the water now?
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:42 pm

Actually the water is starting to look better..i added the water, but not every five minutes...i did make sure it was the same temp...(or very close to it)...I dont know much about these triops, but they seem to eat everything off the bottom of the tank like scavengers...sort of like catfish do...but they use their feathery looking legs to sift threw the stuff on the bottom of the tank and kick it out behind them as they go through it...they are so interesting, i'm really enjoying watching them...i think more than my kids!...lolAnd by the way Jedediah, thanks again for your help!!

Topic author
Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 pm

Aw, they're cute! They do look like little horseshoe crabs. Glad you didn't dump the water that day.
~ crabbing since 2003

Kharasmatic

Post by Kharasmatic » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 am

awwwwwww!! They do look a whole lot bigger that when you first posted pics of them!! I agree with you, they do look kinda prehistoric.
~kharasmatic

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 am

They are very cool! Where did you get them? Are they in a tank with fish or by themselves? I do think they look prehistoric! How big will they get? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm fascinated by your Aquasaurs!****looks around trying to figure out where she could keep a tank of Aquasaurs and how to tell, hubby she wants some***

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:49 am

I got them through a catalog, but i think you can buy them anywhere..i think the company that makes the kits are called, "Uncle Milton" or something like that...sorry i'm not much help with that...I've attached a recent picture of them now...out of 50 eggs, only 4 survived...as of yesterday one of the babies is missing...(so i'm assuming it died as well)...so i have two adult looking ones and one baby left...i think they only grow up to 2 inches...but they grow really fast...like overnight!...and i hear they only live for up to 90 days...which is sad...i'm pretty attached to these guys..i could watch them all day...they resemble horseshoe crabs...

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:27 am

My little brother ordered some and I'm helping him grow them. I've seen them at Walmart, so they aren't hard to find.Actually...triops are canabalistic, which is why so few survive out of the eggs that you put in there. When they get older, the bigger triops will eat the littler ones.

moire_eel

Post by moire_eel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 pm

I've kept triops before -- they are lots of fun. But they have a relatively short lifespan of only three months. And the ones that "disappear" are being eaten. You'll probably end up with only one if you don't separate them. I used to feed mine little slivers of sweet potato, and they'd swim upside down while they latched onto it and ate. Very cute!

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:01 pm

I assumed the one baby we just lost recently was eaten...he was the smaller of the two babies...so far they havent touched the other baby...i also noticed that someone molted because i saw the actual outer shell floating on the top of the water...they are the most interesting things i've ever owned!...i feel silly because they were for my son...lol

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Fasinating!! But to be completely honest with you....I'm a little creeped out too I'm going to have to look into getting some of these creatures too