Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 pm

My husband and I are big fantasy/sci-fi fans. Books, games, movies, you name it. What do some of you guys like? I'm always looking for recommendations on new books...

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 2:37 pm

I love sci-fi as well, but sorry I can't recommend and good books, I don't read... Takes too long. I did, however, buy the davinci code. My sister bought it and said it was so good she read it twice. I'm more into sci-fi tv, and movies. I looooove Passions(Soap opera), I like outer limits but the older episodes are better in my opinion, I liked the poltergeist, but it doesn't come on broadcast. Getting cable tomorrow though yaaaaay! I love super nintendo games, but I'm more into the kid games like mario, and mickey mouse...LOL I'm 22 at 8:01 today(sarcastic yaaaay)but I love those games, still play them. I can't wait till the davinci code comes out in theaters so I could go see it. Don't know whether anyone would classify that as sci-fi or not....But I do

Topic author
KittyCaller

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by KittyCaller » Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm

My favorite book (trilogy, actually) is The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Enchantment by Orson Scott Card is also great. I also like: The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card, well, the first 3 were absolutely fantastic, anyways The Ender Series, also by Card The Disc World series by Terry Pratchett The Miles Vorkosigan series of books by Lois McMaster Bujold Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI tend to like fantasy over sci-fi, and I really haven't read any hard sci-fi. Oh, I've also heard the Dirk Gentley series by Douglas Adams is really good, but I haven't read that yet.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Jedediah » Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 pm

I'm a short story junkie and when it comes to Sci-Fi, I like Isaac Asimov's robot stories, Ray Bradbury's stories and there are several collection I re-read about once a year. When it comes to fantasy, I'm very much into Terry Pratchett's Discworld. If you haven't read anything by Tad Williams yet, you definitely should try him. The Osten Ard Saga ist pure fantasy, "Otherland" is excellent sci-fi, War of Flowers and Shadowmarch is fantasy again.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 4:38 am

I like Orson Scott Card, though oddly I haven't read many of his books. I do read his "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" column on a regular basis - generally interesting, but be warned that he doesn't hesitate to put in his religious views on certain things.Jedediah, have you read any Ursula leGuin? I love her short stories. Asimov is a great writer, but his stories are so cold - I always want to sit in the sun after reading anything by him. I am quite addicted to Robin McKinley and Pamela Dean, but it's hard to find their work in the bookstores here.And I won't even go into my total dependence on the Harry Potter books...

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 am

I love Sci-Fi! When I go over to my grandma's I watch the Sci-Fi channel and I love it! Yes, the davinci code is FICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think the guy who wrote the book was probaly on some old time "crack."

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks Dawn, and that's very interesting Motley. I had a guy buy me a book by Orson Scott Card. I was on a date and he really thought I'd like the book.... Never did read it. It's called Ender's game....Maybe I'll read it someday

Topic author
KittyCaller

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by KittyCaller » Wed May 10, 2006 2:38 pm

Ender's Game is a fantastic book. The characterization is really good. Even people who don't read/like much sci-fi really seem to like it.

Topic author
Bubu

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Bubu » Wed May 10, 2006 2:41 pm

YES Ender's Game is what that book is called! As I was reading this I saw Orson Scott Card and I started thinking, "I remember in 9th grade reading one of his books...about that one kid, he floated in a battle during...something..." And I just could not remember what it's name was! I remember reading it, I didn't like it too much. It was a little too strange for me, I couldn't follow it.I like Star Trek I was born and raised on watching Star Trek lol!

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Jedediah » Wed May 10, 2006 7:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by dellermama:Jedediah, have you read any Ursula leGuin? I love her short stories. Asimov is a great writer, but his stories are so cold - I always want to sit in the sun after reading anything by him. Ursula leGuin - at least I know the name and I think I may have read one or two stories, but I will check the library for her.I like Asimov's stories because to me they don't seems as cold as most other sci-fi literature - weird "Inkheart" and "Inkblood" (I think those are the English titels) by Cornelia Funke are good books, they are sold as children's books, but I enjoyed them very much. Same with the first of the "Bartimaeus"-books, I haven't read the rest of the trilogy, but "The Amulet of Samarkand" is hilarious.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 10:59 pm

I like Star Trek, too (I've got an ongoing debate with a friend as to who's the better captain, Kirk or Picard). My favorite sci-fi show is Firefly (not on the air anymore, but there's a distinct possibility that they'll bring it back sometime).I read the first Bartimaeus book too - I always check out the "children's" books in the store and the library. Too many adult books get hopelessly complicated - I don't know if anyone here has read the Robert Jordan series, but reading through them is like getting a root canal - painful, complicated and drawn out waaay too long...

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Jedediah » Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah - Firefly is awesome. And they have no sound in space, I really like that (but I enjoy all those great sound effects in space, too ) I do hope they bring it back and they can bring back Crusade, too, while they're at it!
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author
KittyCaller

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by KittyCaller » Wed May 10, 2006 11:13 pm

I didn't see Firefly until it was out on dvd, unfortunately. I wish I had watched it when it was on the air. Once again a good show cancelled. All the new shows I like get cancelled. Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and then Firefly. It stinks. Netflix just sent me Serenity, so I'll probably watch that today or tomorrow. Is there a chance of a revival of Firefly? That would be AWESOME, especially considering the others are completely dead.

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 11:49 pm

What I've read on fan sites and heard from friends is that Joss Whedon was given the chance to make 'Serenity' - if that went well, he would be able to go ahead with a trilogy of which Serenity is the first installment. If, after that, fans are still clamoring for more, then he'll make more TV episodes. A lot of ifs, but I'm willing to wait and see . Watch out, KC - the movie is freaky in parts. LOTS OF REAVERS...

Topic author

Fantasy/Sci-fi fans?

Post by Guest » Thu May 11, 2006 5:44 am

Ya, I hate it when they cancell all the good shows. I really enjoyed the Sci-Fi tv series "Dark Angel." It was awsaeme! My grandma got me into watching it. Although I only saw two episoded of the show. Anybodyelse ever watch or hear of this show?