Hermit Crabs = Girl Thing?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:34 pm

I'm not sure how to avoid sounding sexist or whatever in this post, soooo, uh, don't take anything personally. Just know that I'm not trying to start crap. :P Just making an observation.But... you know, I've become increasingly aware that the majority of the people on this forum are female. On top of that, the only people I've ever known in person to own hermit crabs was my uncle and a couple other girl friends of mine. I find this amusing because I would not imagine Hermit Crabs as being a, er... feminine pet. Although in many cases, it seems like the hermit crab addiction stems from 'mom' having to take care of the kids' new pet and developing a certain attraction to it in doing so. :P

Topic author
TheGreyRonin

Post by TheGreyRonin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 pm

It struck me as odd too, because I've never actually met a female hermit crab owner in r/t. They've always been males, and usually college age or below.Funny, huh?

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:42 pm

Hehe, it's the eyes that got me. I liked the fact that they were unusual pets, but I didn't have to feed them mice or anything like that.

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:02 am

Well technically it was a male (my son) who got me into this crabbing thing. But I had an interesting conversation with the mall kiosk guy one day about the demographics of who bought hermit crabs. He said most of his customers are female, but quite a few guys also are into it. The main 3 groups are:1. 12-and-under (male and female)...then there's a big gap2. College-age (mostly female)...then another gap3. 40-yr. old womenBut judging from who's at LHC, I see a much more diverse group of crabbers than the above 3 groups.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:09 am

It was actually my neice who got me into hermit crab. She had a science project which involded getting a hermit crab. Ever since I've been hooked. I still dont think their a female pet. Its like with rabbits and hamsters for example. On rabbit products they'll always show a small child holding the animal. The same with hamsters. So its almost like their advertising it as pet for small children. I'm 17 and I like hamsters!

Topic author
Froggz37

Post by Froggz37 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:09 am

I'm a tomboy, and I've always been into some bugs*the cool ones* frogs/toads, snakes, lizards and things like that. When I first saw a tank of hermit crabs I was hooked!I also agree with KC, I absolutely love how their eyes move from side to side and the wiggling of their antenne.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:51 am

I've also moticed that alot of adult husbands/boyfriends get hooked on hermit crabs. The woman may bring one in originally, but the guys soon get hooked, too. My DH is a case in point. He first just helped me with the crabbies since I have problems standing, but now he calls them "our crabbies", "our little guys", etc. Now he's the one wondering about bigger tanks. He was looking at a 40 breeder with lust in his eyes the last time we went to Petco. I kid you not! I think it's great we share a hobbie.I always thought of hermit crabs as a male pet. I always wanted one as a kid, but my mom said (and I quote), "Why would you want one of those things? They're nothing more than a ****roach with a shell and everyone knows girls don't play with bugs." So in my mind hermit crabs were for boys. (I'm happy to report that after the first time Crabzilla sat looking at my mother and chirped at her while waving his antenna her view of hermies as changed for the better. )

Topic author
avic

Post by avic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:05 am

My kids (the girls) wanted them and my husband who had had some long before we married convinced me they would be a good pet. However once i went crab crazy he back pedaled FAST LOL!

Topic author
Bubu

Post by Bubu » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:09 pm

I always thought they were a "male pet", only because every person I talked to about them was a male employee. (They actually knew what they were talking about too) I think most people assume that reptiles (hermits included, even though they aren't reptiles lol) are just universally a male pet. I just realized that I always thought that too. Not that females can't own them, it just seems that more males do. But when I came here I realized there were close to no guys on here with hermits. It could also be that guys just don't go online looking for hermit crab forums as well. Interesting subject though, makes ya think lol.

Topic author
moire_eel

Post by moire_eel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:33 pm

quote:Originally posted by tnyfootprntz: The main 3 groups are:1. 12-and-under (male and female)...then there's a big gap2. College-age (mostly female)...then another gap3. 40-yr. old women I agree with this list, though I might replace #3 with "mothers who got them originally for their kids" as someone else mentioned. I don't fall into any of the above, though I guess technically I was a college student (grad school) when I got my first crabs.I've also noticed that crayfish keepers skew male. The fact that some number of crayfish owners catch their own pet in the great outdoors may have something to do with it, but it doesn't entirely explain it.

Topic author
Lilcrabber

Post by Lilcrabber » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Hmm...I guess I fall into category #1. There are a lot of crabbers in those 'gaps' though.It seems that there are more and more male members joining, although the number of female members still overpowers them.Their fuzzy legs and antennae may not be the most feminine thing in the world, but they're awesome pets so who cares? lol

Topic author
newhermiemami

Post by newhermiemami » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Im a Mom who fell in love with her kids pets. lol. Originally when I saw them for the first time all the legs made me think of spiders and I swear I walked all the way on the other side of the store to avoid them. The next trip I got a better view of one out and walking around and thought wow they are kinda cool I bet my kids will love them. Well, the boys have almost lost interest since they cant hold them right now and I have gotten over the spider w/ claws perspective. I love them now.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:14 pm

I was one of those moms who originally got them for my kids. Now they are mine, all mine! Seriously, I have to say that I think they're darn cute, always did think so. I don't know quite the point when they developed into an obsession, but I don't see them as a male or female pet anymore than I would see any other pet as gender-specific. I think women are just more likely to post on forums looking for help, which is what got me started on LHC. Then after the need for help dissipates, we can't stop posting.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:37 am

I've noticed that, too. One of the members and I met so I could adopt her hermit crabs, and my husband came with me. She and I got to talking about the crabs, and at one point she said to my husband, "Us women and our hermit crabs, huh?" I guess it's true! Personally, I needed a pet I could keep inside and play with whenever I wanted to. Since my landlord doesn't want fur-bearing animals in the apartment, I picked hermit crabs. I also like watching them molt--I feel like I'm being a good mom to them when I can create conditions good enough for them to molt quickly and successfully. Plus, they're just so cute! I showed a co-worker of mine (another girly-girl like me) pictures of a tiny E of mine, and she thought he was precious. Of course, my husband likes them, too, and helps me take care of them. He even has a favorite that he got to name.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:48 am

I got my hermies at a poor old gift shop store they where right beside the music box witch was too loud for them and they had no sand or rocks just wires and no one ever played with them