Hermit Crabs = Girl Thing?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Dawn38

Post by Dawn38 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:12 pm

quote:I was one of those moms who originally got them for my kids. Now they are mine, all mine! That sums it up for me too. lolDH says he thinks they are stupid animals but I catch him watching them all the time. lol I think he just like to agravate me. My daughter loves them but my son thinks they are gross. lol She is a tomboy like me though. We both like snakes, lizards, frogs and pretty much any creepy crawleys. lol Except Spiders. *shudders*Dawn

Topic author
Hercule

Post by Hercule » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:14 pm

0_0 I'm a guy....I own crabs...I'm 16

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:05 am

I'm a guy, 17, and own hermit crabs. And If Im lucky enouph they'll still be alive when Im 18.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:31 am

quote:And If Im lucky enouph they'll still be alive when Im 18. Haha! I feel the same way since I just got my first about a month ago. Right now, the tank is a moltfest. It's nerve-wracking.Yeah, my mom was against them at first, but now she adores them. She fell in love when she saw one of them slip out of his shell into another, then leave that one for another, then leave that one for another in rapid succession. She was bouncing up and down and giggling. Haha.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:31 am

hmm.. ive really never thought about hermit crabs being a male or female thing... ive actually never seen pets as a male or female thing... well except for tranculas... ive always seen those as guy pets... now hermit crabs..idk.. i had to bring mine to school one day and some of the girls of course were like freaking out...heh... actually some of the guys were to... i think they are cute personally... but i love all animals

Topic author
Bubu

Post by Bubu » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:14 am

quote:Yeah, my mom was against them at first, but now she adores them. She fell in love when she saw one of them slip out of his shell into another, then leave that one for another, then leave that one for another in rapid succession. She was bouncing up and down and giggling. Haha. Same with my mum. She thought they were freaky at first, not sure why, but then gradually she would watch them some more and laugh at their weird antics. Then eventually she quietly came up to me and was like "Nicole...Can I hold one of your hermits?" I laughed and said of course, and now she loves them lol. She likes to take them for walks on our floor, and even knows not to keep them out for too long. It's awesome lol.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:07 am

How funny. I wouldn't have thought it a girl/guy thing but more of a young person thing...but I've got to tell you, I am definitely addicted.My daughter's going to be rather upset when she figures out that the hermies are NOT leaving my house when she finishes her summer course. LOLThere's going to be a hermie war!

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:20 am

Also, not to be offensive, just a thought...Do you think that mom type females just get online more and do things like this forum?Not that everyone wouldn't be welcome, but it takes a certain kind of person to spend hours at the computer talking about our crabs!!!I hadn't thought of getting my kids online here, but I guess I could/should. My 10 year old son is crab crazy!
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.

Topic author
TheGreyRonin

Post by TheGreyRonin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 am

You raise an interesting point, breezeetew. I thought it might also be a combination of parents being careful of what/where their children view online, and the fact that most guys never ask for help. (They claim that's genetic, and I'm starting to agree....)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:43 am

I fall into category #2. I got mine at CoachHouse Gifts almost 4 years ago...they were my b-day present to myself. bf and I walked past and I just HAD to stop and play/look and now i have 50 lol!Moire, how many females do you know besides me that have crayfish? I mentioned to a couple of my friends that I have a crayfish..I could just SEE the disgust in their eyes as they squinted and said "eeeeew" lol!!!

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:59 am

funny, we had crayfish just before hermit crabs.We gave them to the 3rd grade classroom and they were so careful. They did research (the kids, not the crawfish) and took perfect care of the little things, so they died. We ignored them and let them be and they lived, weird?Our hermit crabs are actually hamsters.The cats got 2 hamsters and we decided hermit crabs were more apt to be safe around cats.They got one e once, and a couple of weeks later he was in the kitchen so son scooped him up and back to the water!We just call them hamsters or hamster crabs most of the time. silly kids and indulgent mother!
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.