Lost two bettas . :(

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't know whats going on with my girls but I've lost two in the last week one to a tumor and the other to dropsy.My water quality is perfect and has improved since the addition of several live plants including an Ozelot sword, seven amazon swords and one fern.The plants are thriving as are my corydoras catfish so I don't know whats going on with the Bettas aside from a relatively short temp drop when I forgot to plug the heater back in after doing a water change out but in my defense I did plug the heater back in an hour later when I'd realized what I'd done.I don't think the heat being off for an hour would have cause my girl to get sick this looks like something that is genetic or food specific because my other three look like they aren't doing good theres some weird patching happening that isn't Ick but looks more like lesions.I keep fresh water aquarium salt in the water at all times to help combat these types of illnesses but unfortunately my efforts don't seem to have been enough.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Dude tumors and viruses are not your fault unless you are smoking (or coughing) in your betta's face or something.Try again. I'm sure they're better off with you than anywhare else.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:47 am

@Keg, I'm pretty sure it's got a lot to do with the supplier because the store where I'd purchased them from just re-did their fish tanks putting in a brand new display and better lighting so when I looked at the males on Fri everyone of them had Ick which was showing in the new lighting and never would have before.Everyone of the Bettas both male and female had Ick and a few of them had fin rot which both can be attributed to poor in-store care and bad water quality and are easily avoidable.I've done some research and it turns out that Bettas are extremely resilient fish but due to they way they are bred there are a lot of health issues that can pop up unexpectedly and tumors are the result of depleted genetic material from the breeding pair and can even be caused by feeding foods that are loaded with preservatives like ethoxyquin over a period of time.Dropsy on the other hand is a fancy term for when a fish becomes constipated and the abdomen swells, the swelling can alter the swim bladder of the fish causing it to either float to the surface or not to be able to swim at all either way the only known cure for dropsy is warm water and fasting the sick fish.I did both I upped the water temp from seventy-nine to eighty-two and fasted the poor girl for three days in hopes that she would finally be able to go but she passed after a week struggling to survive. I've decided that if my last three do pass-away in the next couple of months I wont be getting anymore Betta's and will be trying some other type of fish.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 am

I know dropsy can be caught by the other fish. Unfortunately there is no way to cure dropsy. It's a bacteria that attacks and shuts down the kidneys. Which the. In turn causes fluid build up, swelling and raised scales. It's typically caused by feeding live food. I don't know anything about tumors on fish. You water quality may be perfect, but unfortunately the fish may not have been healthy. It could have had a compromised immune system and caught a bug that was in the water that it normally could have faught off. Sorry to hear about your fish, hopefully the other girls and others are still fine. There's nothing you could have done, so don't take it out on yourself.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 am

Just refreshed the page Crabber, I didn't see you new post until afer I posted.Anything that stressed them out can cause their immune system to temporarily weaken. Water changes, shipping, isolating, sickness, etc. This makes it easy for them to get sick even when tanks are kept pristine.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 am

@Dylan, I was told that dropsy is caused by constipation but what your saying does make more sense as the fish does appear to be retaining water when sick with this affliction which causes the bloated/swollen look much like when a humans kidneys stop functioning and they begin to literally drown from the inside out. I didn't know dropsy was contagious but so far none of my other fish have been exhibiting any signs or symptoms thankfully.BTW I don't feed live foods so I'm unsure of where my girl could have caught it.
#Autism Speaks.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:24 am

It's a bacteria which makes it potentially contagious, since you removed the fish close to passing, it lessens the risk of the others getting it. However the bacteria is still in the water since one fish got it. Hopefully the others are healthy enough to fight it off. Dropsy is a prettty common betta illness. Do you feed black worms? The live ones usually cary it. I would think the bacteria would have been killed in packaging when dried?

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 am

I was just thinking of this too. Typically temperatures of 85 and a little bit of salt will kill off most bacteria and solve most problems. I know the other fish appear healthy, but just as a precaution maybe it wouldn't hurt it you raise the temp to 85 and add some salt if you don't have it already readily mixed into the water.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 am

I do feed freeze dried blood worms every other day and use the pelleted food as well.
#Autism Speaks.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:34 am

See that's the thing, wouldn't freeze drying zap the bacteria? The pellets wouldn't be culprit. I know how stuff like that is made.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 am

From what I gathered freeze dried stuff is frozen then put through a vacuum to remove moisture. I would think that freezing it would neutralize any bacteria.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 am

Yep the freeze drying process actually sterilizes the blood worms and the pelleted food doesn't have anything in it that would cause a bacterial or viral infection so I don't know what could have caused my fish to get sick with dropsy.I've got to do a water change out today, I missed doing it last Fri and had a real busy weekend we had to get the stuff together for my dads b-day get together on Sat.I typically do a twenty percent water change out every Fri as well as skipping the feeding for my fish that day and this system has worked well for nearly six months but for un-known reasons I've had a serious set back. I do have salt in the water at all times though it's not much as my corydoras don't handle more than a couple of teaspoons well at all not to mention my live plants which are all very salt sensitive.I've been keeping the water at a constant seventy-eight degrees as that is where the corydoras prefer it but like I said I did raise the temp to eighty-two on the heater which is causing my temp gauges to read a constant eighty-six.Admittedly I did let my filter cartridge in my hob filter(5-15 gal) go over by a week and I just replaced it on Sun as I noticed a particularly low water flow coming from the unit.I've got an internal unit going as well which is rated for a twenty to thirty gallon and the cartridge for it was just replaced two weeks ago.I typically change out the cartridges every four weeks.I know that letting your cartridges go for to long can cause problems as the carbon looses it's ability to hold onto the impurities it has filtered out and will eventually going septic allowing the pollutants to flow back out of the filter and into the tank.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Let's all chip in and get a Coelacanth.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 am

I don't change my cartridge. After the carbon goes bad, I empty the stiff out by a small hole and keep the filter. I never change it, I only rinse it when it has a bung if stuff on it. I do that to keep my bacteria when I do full water changes. Which is like...every three to four weeks. You could probably do it too. You can get new carbon in a bottle at the petstore. I don't know if it would be cheaper and I don't know if you would be able to do it given limitations. Just a suggestion.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 am

@Dylan, I have the cartridges that can't be opened as they are meant to be disposable.lolI've got the bio fiber on both of my filters that never gets washed so even when I throw out the filter cartridges I still have a ton of beneficial bacteria on the bio fiber. I'm using play sand as my substrate because of my corydoras and because the sand is ph neutral it wont mess my ph readings up like the gravel can sometimes do.
#Autism Speaks.