green beans and potatos

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

green beans and potatos

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:59 pm

I lived in the south when I was a kid (Metairie, Louisiana) and fell in love with biscuits and gravy. I'll still have it as a guilty pleasure on occasion.We eat our potato salad "yeller" (with mustard) the Texas way.I've done some regional cooking and have made kugel, feijoada, Pasta e Fagiole, Pasties, Ka--Wahj, Stifatho, Bubble and Squeak, Mou-Far-Rah-Kay, Piroshki, that kind of stuff. I have a Cuban black bean recipe that I just love.

Topic author
KittyCaller

green beans and potatos

Post by KittyCaller » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:21 am

Oooh, I forgot about Biscuits and Gravy. That too is difficult to find in upstate NY. Mustard potato salad is easy enough to find, luckily. Decent Pimento cheese, for sandwiches, is kind of difficult to track down. The Kraft stuff just isn't the same and I don't like it well enough to eat a whole jar before it spoils. I'm not a terribly adventurous person--except when it comes to food. There are some finicky eaters in my family, but how am I supposed to figure out what foods I like if I don't try 'em? And I usually try them at least twice, because I have found foods I really didn't like the first time I ate them, but became favorites second time around. The exception so far has been Flan, Grapenuts, and gazpacho. I think it's the sauce over flan I don't really like too much, Grapenuts are just about the hardest, most bitter cereal I've ever tried in my life, and I can get used to the temp of gazpacho, I just don't care for the texture. Oh, and I really dislike almost all sour foods. I'll occasionally eat a dill pickle and I like sour kraut, but I can't drink more than half a Gatoraide without it tasting too sour. LOL! There's just not that much discrepensy for sour foods for me, so it's just not pleasant to eat. I've now gone on too long.

Topic author

green beans and potatos

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:35 am

quote:We eat our potato salad "yeller" (with mustard) the Texas way. Amen!I live in Tex-siana. (20 miles east of Louisiana) So I couldn't pick one favorite...It would be a tie...Gumbo, Texan BBQ, Tex Mex, and...Crawfish.I know they are a lot like crabs, but there is nothing like a good crawfish boil in March.(And all of it eaten with Tony Chachere's of course.)

Katy

green beans and potatos

Post by Katy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:38 am

quote:Being from South Jersey (10 minutes from Philly) I have to say the cheese steak (ok, and funnel cake from the shore too)! NOTHING compares to a Pat's cheese steak from Philly I'm from central Jersey and boy do I miss a good cheese steak and I LOVE funnel cake!Jersey has great pizza too. I've lived in Enlgand,Texas,PA,Connecticut, and Florida and I've never found pizza as good as Jersey/NY pizza. Texas has great food too. Authentic Mexican food is to die for out there!
Katy Michelle

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

green beans and potatos

Post by tnyfootprntz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 am

Barq's root beer! Do they sell that up north? Lol, I never go anywhere so I don't know what foods I'm missing or what foods I'd miss if I went to another part of the country or globe.Fresh shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. You can get them off the shrimp boats in Biloxi right when they arrive at the dock. The ones from Louisiana are a different kind of shrimp but still good.

Katy

green beans and potatos

Post by Katy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:04 am

yeah, you can get Barq's root beer up north.
Katy Michelle

Topic author
KaraJo

green beans and potatos

Post by KaraJo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:07 am

a few things around here (north central PA) that you cant get elsewhere usually is Middlesworth potato chips and yuengling lager. (A favorite of Jordan's) Whenever we have people come visit us in OH, we have them bring middlesworth barbeque potato chips along!!

Katy

green beans and potatos

Post by Katy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:20 am

Something I miss from England...prawn flavored potato chips. Or as they're called in the UK...crisps.
Katy Michelle

Topic author
PSUPrncess10

green beans and potatos

Post by PSUPrncess10 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 am

quote:Originally posted by KaraJo:a few things around here (north central PA) that you cant get elsewhere usually is Middlesworth potato chips and yuengling lager. (A favorite of Jordan's) Whenever we have people come visit us in OH, we have them bring middlesworth barbeque potato chips along!! Oh my gosh - I totally forgot yuengling! How did I do that! It is my most favorite beer of all time - when I go out with friends, they don't even ask, they just order for me! It's starting to be available in the south, but definitely won't be available off the east coast... dunno what i'll do if i move!Ok, so final favorite meal, haha: Pat's cheese steak (whiz & without), with a yuegnling (lager or black and tan) and a funnel cake for dessert!I do love most German food too, but the cheese steak wins!

Topic author
KaraJo

green beans and potatos

Post by KaraJo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:19 am

quote:Originally posted by PSUPrncess10:quote:Originally posted by KaraJo:a few things around here (north central PA) that you cant get elsewhere usually is Middlesworth potato chips and yuengling lager. (A favorite of Jordan's) Whenever we have people come visit us in OH, we have them bring middlesworth barbeque potato chips along!! Oh my gosh - I totally forgot yuengling! How did I do that! It is my most favorite beer of all time - when I go out with friends, they don't even ask, they just order for me! It's starting to be available in the south, but definitely won't be available off the east coast... dunno what i'll do if i move!Ok, so final favorite meal, haha: Pat's cheese steak (whiz & without), with a yuegnling (lager or black and tan) and a funnel cake for dessert!I do love most German food too, but the cheese steak wins! its funny because in PA, if you go to a bar and ask for a lager, they know EXACTLY what you are talking about!! yuengling of course. There are certain things that my uncle from california cant get easily out there, so everytime he comes to visit, he takes them back with him: He cant ring bologna, tasty cakes, and haddock fillets! It sounds crazy, but he packs a cooler everytime he comes!

Topic author
PSUPrncess10

green beans and potatos

Post by PSUPrncess10 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:11 am

quote:Originally posted by KaraJo:its funny because in PA, if you go to a bar and ask for a lager, they know EXACTLY what you are talking about!! yuengling of course. There are certain things that my uncle from california cant get easily out there, so everytime he comes to visit, he takes them back with him: He cant ring bologna, tasty cakes, and haddock fillets! It sounds crazy, but he packs a cooler everytime he comes! I know exactly what you mean about asking for a lager! And I'm not surprised that your uncle packs a cooler - I would too! In fact, when I went to school in State College (where yuegnling is very available), I'd bring cases of yuengling back up to school with me because I could get it cheaper in Jersey! hahaha... another thing I'd pack a cooler for (and have!) is bagels - we're friends with people that owner their own bagel/breakfast place - they make the bagels homemade in the store... I refuse to eat any other bagel!

Topic author
Willow

green beans and potatos

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 pm

quote:I can think of a lot of recipes for kuchen, but I'd love to know what exactly I get when I order kuchen in South Dakota There are about 5 different ways of making Kuchen. The kind I've had is sort of cake-like, with a custardy middle, and some fruit on top. Yummy, not too sweet. Ummm....squeaky cheese curds. They look like lumpy cheese cubes. I'll try to find a picture.....Here! I guess they have to be room-temp and fairly fresh in order to be properly squeaky. No wonder I didn't get any squeak from the (refrigerated) grocery-store curds.Ok, I LOVE onion bagels with plain cream cheese and a slice of fresh tomato. Everybody here thinks I'm weird, but I talked to a couple from New Jersey, and they said the combo is fairly common there. I could order it in a deli, and nobody would think twice about it. I also like bagels with cream cheese and lox, but not as much as my tomato combo.

Topic author
KittyCaller

green beans and potatos

Post by KittyCaller » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Mmm, good combo, cream cheese and tomato. I'm not huge on onion bagels, but I love cream cheese tomato sandwiches on potato bread. Sure the bread doesn't hold up as well as bagels, but I really like the flavor combo.

Topic author

green beans and potatos

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:46 am

I live in Red Deer does anyone live in Red Deer

Topic author
kitty_LHC

green beans and potatos

Post by kitty_LHC » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:48 pm

Never heard of red deer. Where's that?KC, I can't eat gazpacho either, or vischisoise (sp?) either. The last time I had gazpacho I heated it up in the microwave. I like Tex-mex and mexican food. I know I take it for granted and even though it's not my fav would sorely miss it if I moved away.BBQ of course is big here in Texas but if I never had it again in my life, I wouldn't care. (That is so un-Texan.)