Headache cures?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

breezeetew

Headache cures?

Post by breezeetew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:34 am

Hi all, never thought I would have to ask, but this time of year most years I get a headache that won't quit. They last at least a week and sometimes a lot longer. I have had a catscan and nothing seems to be wrong. This year is no exception...I have tried the regular headache tricks such as a dark quiet room (well, as much as I can with 4 kids), caffeine, Midol, ibuprofen, ice, heat, etc.Any other ideas- maybe herbal remedies?
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Headache cures?

Post by KittyCaller » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:10 pm

My mom gets migraines. When she doesn't want to take a Maxalt (allows her to sleep so she can get rid of the headache, but makes her a little loopy) she'll sip a coke and take 2 ibuprofen. I know you said that you've tried both, but she finds the combo helps sometimes, especially with sinus headaches. Have you tried taking decongestants? If it's a seasonal thing, maybe it's allergy/sinus related. I know right now my allergies are wrecking havok.

Topic author
motley crew

Headache cures?

Post by motley crew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:53 pm

Where is the headache at in your head top,front,back? I might be able to help with some nerve pinch idea's.Top= pinch just above the ears hold for 15 sec then let go do it more than once if needed.Front=same thing only pinch the forhead as hard as you can stand it just 15 sec though.Back=same thing just the top of your neck close to your head as you can same time and more than once if needed.If you watched survivor then you seen cowboy do it and those really work take it from a very exdruged up migrain suffer.

Topic author

Headache cures?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:19 pm

breezey, I get Migranes all the time. The only thing that works on mine are 2 Aleeve, or if you have any naprison in they house it is the samething. Might give that a try. Good luck, Ive been there.

Topic author

Headache cures?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 pm

This may seem silly but: drink lots of water.

breezeetew

Headache cures?

Post by breezeetew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Ok, new question... How many different medicines can I take at a time.The doctor has told me that Ibuprofen and Tylenol work differently so it is ok to take one in 30-60 minutes if the other isn't working. Anyone know about Naproxen? I think that is like Ibuprofen and if it is, I should wait if I take a large dose because it is a blood thinner.Water, got it, thanks!
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.

Topic author
motley crew

Headache cures?

Post by motley crew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Naproxen is more of a musle relaxer they have given that to me for cramps for years it works great it might take some of the tension out of your body to relax you to let the other things work.

Topic author

Headache cures?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:42 pm

I get headaches around this time too. In fact I had a headache this past monday so bad I had to put an ice bag on it.

Topic author
Pharfly1

Headache cures?

Post by Pharfly1 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Ever since I was in the 4th grade I've been getting headachs, migrains... I use to get one once a month or so until I had kids... Now I get them weekly or more, I think it's due to the lack of sleep(nosy toys don't help either)... Advil works wonders, but I can't take it now(it's been shown to cause miscarrages). I find massaging my feet by my toes makes it go away fast! If that doesn't work the dark quite room with a cold wash cloth over the eyes helps(nearly impossible to do with 3 small kids...) Good luck!!!

Topic author
jojo7

Headache cures?

Post by jojo7 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 pm

Breezeetew, if you get headaches this time every year, it might just be an allergy to something seasonal...mold etc...i think the tylenol sinus might help you...you need something that is a decongestant...it will relieve the pressure in your head...just make sure you dont take anything with a antihistimine in it...that will dry you up and cause more pressure...i hope that helps...i feel for people who suffer from headaches...I get migraines so bad that i throw up all day long!!...I'm taking a prescription Imatrix...its the greatest invention since bread!!..its a life saver for me...with 3 boys i cant stay in the bathroom all day long with my head in the toilet...

Topic author
Pharfly1

Headache cures?

Post by Pharfly1 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:07 pm

I wonder if it is allergys... When I'm pregante I get hay fever... And my headachs are worse, I get the migraine aurora(little flashes of light) and I seems to fall to the one side more, like a magnet's pulling me. My Doctor told me I need a ct scan if I still have those symptoms after the baby's born... Scary stuff! I guess the light headness of being pregnate dosen't help either, I can't bend over to pick things up with out my eyes going all fuzzy...

Nicole

Headache cures?

Post by Nicole » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 pm

I have found that too much sleep for me will trigger a migraine. Doubtful with four kids that you are getting the recommended 8 hours , but sometimes even sleeping more than what is normal for you might be one of the culprits.When I get them, they last for days. Vomiting sometimes helps but most of the time they just have to wear off, and leave as mysteriously as they appeared. Sometimes putting Vicks Vaporub under my nose or using a Vicks Inhaler and a cold compress to the back of my neck helps, too. Something about the smell of camphor seems to short circuit the pain, at least temporarily, even though they're not sinus headaches. Maybe the change of seasons, loss of daylight, is triggering the headaches for you.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
KittyCaller

Headache cures?

Post by KittyCaller » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:27 pm

I know with my mom she tried a lot of various migraine meds. I think she tried Imatrix, but it didn't work very well for her. I know she's pretty happy with the Maxalt when she has to take something.

breezeetew

Headache cures?

Post by breezeetew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Thanks for all the ideas and input.I really hate to whimper about a headache, but they can really get bad and I figured someone out there had some good ideas.I did finally get the edge off, but the downside was the stomachache from all the meds. Finally getting to sleep helped as well. Now I feel slightly fragile, but so much better! Nicole, I know someone who used to use essential oils, but I'm not sure which ones. It was an aromatherapy thing, likely the same as the vaporub idea. The headon has a slight scent as well. As far as sleep- I only know how much is too little as I get nauseous after less than 4 hours. Too much? I'll never know...Motley, thanks for the mothering. I did get out the glasses to stop eye strain, and the monitor is rather large, but you are right. I love to read in bed, but I skipped that as well.I'm not sure if it helped any, but it was a good point. I sent the kids to bed and let my daughter stay with me for the peace. Then my ice bag and I had some quiet time...Pharfly, my ct scan was not so bad. It was a couple of years ago and I am kind of bad about enclosed spaces and feeling trapped, but it wasn't so bad. Sometimes pregnancy hormones make things so much worse and since we can't really take much for medicine it is horrible.I cried my way through the 4 months I knew I was pregnant with my daughter. Well, hormones made it a lot longer, but I knew why I was crying for 4 months...I feel so bad for anyone who gets these headaches regularly and so lucky that I don't get them often. Possibly it is allergies after all. It has never been labelled a migraine, but the doctor didn't want to label my asthma for a long time for insurance reasons-pre existing conditions and all...Anyway, thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions- I hate to whine about being ill. I have no patience for whiners!

Topic author
KittyCaller

Headache cures?

Post by KittyCaller » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:24 am

I think migraines tend to be a half the head kind of thing. I know it's a very specific type of pain. My mom's told me that behind the eye nose, and forehead are generally just sinus headaches, but those can be bad and trigger migraines.