Whos got Quirks, I do, I do

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 9:13 am

I play word games in my head and I can't stop! I'll split up the word into sections by what it's devisible by. Then I'll re-say the word twice. I can't stop even if I want to! Sometimes I'll start doing this while taking a test ( and I also mean timed state wide tests) or during activities like sports. I can't stand it!

Topic author
adoll

Post by adoll » Sat May 05, 2007 10:09 am

I have a few things I do or whatnot...Like Jedediah, I have an even number issue...except mine extends beyond things like M&Ms. It's not as bad as when I was younger because I've tried to train myself not to. But the number of colors of candy (like Ms) has to be even, though usually they don't come that way and there's a couple of the colors that I'm OK with matching up if there's an odd number of both ~ but thats only on a good day!! I hate when people steal just one, grr! I have to do other things in even numbers, or with both sides of my body sometimes too (this is one of those things that was worse when I was younger). Like, if I tap my fingers on the counter, I have to do each finger on both hands the same number of times and it has to divide back down to 2 (for example 2 4 8 16 32 64 128...), a number like 6 wouldnt work because it goes back down to 3. There are definitely textures I can't eat...the only good example I can think of right now is seaweed & whatever else is in sushi...and I've only tried vegetable ones. And I do/eat things in certain orders sometimes too. KC - I hear those noises too!! If I don't know what's turned on I'll have to go search it out so it doesn't drive me crazy, other people find it weird that I hear it and they don't. I can't think of any other good ones right now...and I asked the fiance and he can't either because he knows and either lets me do them or makes sure he doesnt mess it up! haha**Just thought of the fact that I have to do certain things in routines...don't know if I have a good example now but yeah. haha

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 11:15 am

kitty caller i hate high pitch noises i have way sensetive hearing i cnat stand being near a electronic for very long if its turned on it drives me crazy god im hearing it now

Topic author
skittles

Post by skittles » Sat May 05, 2007 11:21 am

to kathy: are you for real? whats the term for it??? and im with kitty caller on the dvd thing, or just certain sounds i need, if its quiet i CANT sleep. *my mom refused to be quiet when i was an infant so subtle noises wake me up but i can and have slept, through a hurricane. i shower in a certain order every time. i also do my makeup in a certain order and cannot do either any other way. i count and serperate everything i eat and wont drink anything unless i absolutely have to untill im done. i also hear that sound, but only when nothing else is on...i hear it mostly from computers and t.v's. when im nervous i itch. i only use gel-pens or mechanical pencills, i wont use other kinds, except quill pens. the main bug/insect that actually freaks me out is earwigs...when i was between 3 and 5 i fell asleep outside in the yard and when i woke up my ear hurt, and when they looked to see if it was infected they found 5 of them in my ear, i have a rite to really not like them, everything else doesnt really bother me...wow im neurotic, lol

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 pm

quote:are you for real? whats the term for it??? Pica
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sat May 05, 2007 2:51 pm

I always feel as if my hands are dirty. I can't stand touching anything sticky, gritty, or greasy, because it just compounds the dirty feeling. I wash my hands a lot. I even had to stop wearing my wedding ring years ago because I felt as if my hand wasn't getting clean underneath the ring. That's all I'm sharing for now!
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Sun May 06, 2007 12:54 am

I have a form of Pica. I learned about it when I couldn't stop chomping on ice. Supposedly linked to iron deficiency. I still chew ice like crazy and have had a root canal. It started several years ago when we had a 'teaser' from the local meteorologist: "a slight chance of snow". Ever since then (it never snowed, by the way) I have had to have ice in my mouth several times a day. I am anemic, so I guess that explains the craving. I try to make sure the ice is small enough and melted enough so I won't break any teeth, but it's a habit I just can't quit to save my life.I'm also germophobic. Must be clean. I can't stand the thought of sticky, dirty hands and if I see a toddler with his fingers in his mouth it drives me nuts!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 1:05 am

I am a compulsive cleaner. I think it began when my husband and I got divorced 21 years ago. He is a "Neat Freak" and I think I began being one too just to prove I can be as neat as he is ( I'm a little competitive too )! My house is dusted, vacuumed, kitchen and bathrooms totally cleaned everyday. I will pick up small pieces of lint on the floor if I see it from across the room! An other thing that I am compulsive about is ALL parts of things must be together! When my kids were little I couldn't sleep if all parts of all toys were not put together. Legos, puzzles, etc would drive me CRAZY!!! I hate clutter too!

Topic author
motley crew

Post by motley crew » Sun May 06, 2007 1:47 am

Well my Quirks are a lot of the same as a few of you guys ,but for different reasons (in my head anyways)so here go's.1. Can't eat mushrooms too squishy.2. Don't like tomato's too slimy.3. Dirty hands make me crazy.4. When eating ding dong's all of the outside choclate first then the inside.5. Messy dripping food sloppy joe's is a big problem.O.K. that's enough for now.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 1:53 am

I hate noise when I'm trying to sleep. If there's ANY noise in ANY part of the house, it has to stop. I hate hearing a radio or tv from another room. I can't stand hairs in the bathtub or shower, why can't people take the time to rinse them down? I don't eat meat because everytime I chew it, I feel the grease in my mouth and I imagine the live animal I'm eating. I actually went as far as picturing myself taking a bite out of the side of a cow when eating a steak one time. YUCK!!!!!!!

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 am

My teeth itch. Mainly the bottom front 4. They're itching right now, in fact. The only thing that makes them stop is eating a lime wedge (a lemon will do in a pinch, but doesn't work as well) with salt on it.I can stick my top front teeth in a hot drink or food and feel how exactly hot it is. This saves my lips and tongue from being scalded! I guess I have sensitive teeth.I can't drink ice-cold water, but I love crunching on ice. Any other drink can be cold, but water needs to be room temp.I like the taste of squash, but the texture makes me gag. My mom says she couldn't feed me baby food when I was little for the same reason.I can't use mint-flavored toothpaste in the morning or I'll gag. It needs to be fruit-flavored (Tom's of Maine is the best--they have Strawberry and Orange-Mango flavors) or otherwise non-minty. But I prefer the mint kind at night. If the toothpaste is too foamy, I'll gag no matter what flavor it is.I can hear if a TV or computer monitor is left on, even if the screen is dark and there's no sound. It doesn't really bother me unless I'm trying to concentrate on something, but I can hear it. I can walk into a house and smell right away if they have a cat, even if everything is perfectly clean. Sometimes I can smell it on their clothes.The thought of biting down on cloth makes me crazy. My mom has a picture of me when I was a baby, chewing on a frozen washcloth because I was teething. Just looking at it makes my teeth itch (more than they already are).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm

My money has to be divisable by five. In other words if I have $26 I'll go nuts. I won't be happy until I spend a dollar or get four more. Sometimes I even give away money so I have a good amount.I can't stand having wet hands. If I'm washing a dish, and I don't have a towel right there to dry them and I have to like look for one with wet hands or stand there with wet hands, I'll flip. I can't stand places that have hand-dryers instead of paper towels. I know its bad for the enviornment but the dryiers never totally dry your hands and its still wet in between your fingers and stuff.I have this thing where I have to rub the cuticles of my fingers with my thumbs sometimes over and over.There was something else but I can't remember.. haha

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Oh yea. I usually eat my mixed vegetables in this order: stringbeans, lima beans, carrots, peas, corn. Makes my dad think I'm really weird.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 5:43 pm

Hahaha I didn't think i had any, but reading everyone else's has reminded me of a few. 1. I can't stand having people drive in front of me, even if they're going at or above the speed limit. I have to get in front of them or i'll get an ulcer stressing about it.2. My body wants to sleep at 5 a.m. and wake up at 3 p.m. This is what it does if I don't FORCE myself every day to maintain a normal schedule, and even then i'm exhausted until about 10 at night, then i'm wide awake.3. I can't eat pretzels ever since my mom made this strawberry/pretzel dessert. I still feel like throwing up every time I think about it. I really did puke just thinking about it once.4. Very few people can hold or touch my guitar, or i get really annoyed really fast.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Well here I go,I don't like the feel of silk, it makes my hands feel dry. I am a lotion freak!! I keep it with me always. I have to have it perfectly quiet to sleep and pitch black. At night I hear everything. I will wake up when my kids get out of bed, before they leave their own room, and know they are coming to our room, which is on the other side of the house. Any little light, even the glow from the clock radio, wakes me up like a spotlight.I smell everything 100 times stronger than anyone else I know. And most smells are very annoying. I also hate toothpaste. It burns my mouth, but the vanilla stuff they have now is much better.I don't eat any seafood. It all seems too slimy, and smelly!!I also smell everything I eat, and if it smells even slighty funny or off, I can't eat it.And last but not least, I have never been able to stand it if people touch or sit on my bed. Even when I was younger, and my friends would come over, I would cringe inside if they got on my bed, and then I would wash everything after they left!!Valerie