Petrified Of Flaming On Other Sites

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 13, 2006 8:20 am

This is the first pet forum I have ever joined. The people here are nicer than many of the people I know offline. I have tried going on many forums and none of them have been as nice as this one. I even went on a forum once where you need to take a test to answer peoples pet questions and when you do answer, the answers are graded by moderators who seem to be terribly mean because they pick out the smallest detail. Also, if you answer 10 questions and you don't have a C average, you can never answer another question again. www.practical-pet-care.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue May 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Unfortunately, the internet is a venting place for the anger of 98% of the people who use it. Too many people enjoy hiding behind their veils of anonymity, arrogance, or, if they're in a position of 'power,' like a administrator or owner, will hide behind their perceived omnipotence (as if being a chatroom operator or a forum administrator makes you a God on earth). I've found most forums have a society that reminds me of immature schoolchildren. There's the 'popular kids' who bully and pass judgment on everyone else (usually arrogant admins or the admins' friends--the elite), the kids who want to be accepted by the popular kids who will belittle whoever they can get their hands on to make themselves look better (usually the newbie-haters, they get away with it by kissing the butts of the 'popular kids'), and then everyone else who is innocently subjected to the upper eschelon's crap. Even before coming to this forum, I happened across another hermit crab website where the forums were filled with arrogant and hateful people who seemed to get off on belittling the other forum members. I think the greatest thing about this website is the helpful attitude of the members. There are lots of 'newbie' posts asking for help and advice (mine included) and every reply I've seen has been constructive and helpful.The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can really bring out the nastiest sides of people sometimes.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu May 18, 2006 12:00 am

whewwwwwwwww this post hits the nail on the head for me.i go on the net for fun to talk make friends (ones ill never meet face to face)but thats ok too you know they will alawys be there with eyes to listen when i do find a new group i sit back an just watch forever.then when i feel comfortabe i will talk.i've been very lucky to find 2 very good groups for my 2 obessions in life crabbies and one for nascar.i dont post much cuz i'm a lil on the shy side but when something needs to be said i say it

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri May 19, 2006 3:46 pm

I love reading all the posts and tossing in my 2 cents worth now and then. The only other forum I have found that is so welcoming and open is the group in the Graden Junk forum on Garden Web. Even when I post a link to a piece that's not my best work, they find something kind to say about it.Been lurking on a couple of geocaching sites lately to learn about it before I plunk down $$ to get DH a GPS for his birthday. Honestly, they talk so far over the newbie's head that I wonder how anyone learns from them! BTW, anyone know anything about geocaching and how to get started????