My top recommended broswer security add-on's/ plugins.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:12 am

I'm using a web browser made by Comodo Security called Ice Dragon it is based on the open source software Mozilla Fire Fox and has been a pretty decent browser as far as page load times and so forth but like any other browser it has its limitations and faults so I've enlisted the help of several add-on's/ plugins that work together to make my browser as secure as its going to get.Adblock Plus.Adblock Plus Pop-up add-on. this is a popup blocker.Flash Block.NoScript.Self Destructing Cookies.WOT or Web of Trust.Bluhell Firewall.Clean Links.NoScript actively blocks java script, adobe among other types web and page scripts to help mitigate the risk of malicious script injections and XSS or cross site scripting which is a very popular method of layering the script of a malicious website over top of a legitimate website this allows the attacker to redirect the data that you have sent to the legit site to his site where he then downloads it stealing sensitive information such as banking info and passwords.In this scenario you think your just communicating with the legit site but your actually communicating with both the legit and malicious sites as the same time its a very effective way of stealing sensitive information.With NoScript the add-on is setup to deny by default so you have to authorize any scripts that want to run which gives you the control allowing you to run what you need while blocking everything else. Bluhell Firewall and Clean Links are the only two add-on's that I'm aware of that are made specific for Fire Fox the others can be used on Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 am

Too bad there isn't an add blocker for when you watch Hulu and such.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:50 pm

@jenok, you can use Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Popup to block the ads, flash bases banners and scroll-er ads in Hulu streams if you go through Hulu.com but I don't know of an effective way to block ads and such if you use the Hulu App.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Thu May 28, 2015 10:07 am

My hubby has tried Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and think one other one and all of them will have the adds interrupt the show/movie. I don't think he use the app because its on our older laptop that he uses as a regular computer. I've heard talk of one or two of them offering options with no add if you pay more for the service. So would that allow the movie to play straight thru?

Keg

Post by Keg » Fri May 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Adblock stops the banner ads on the top and sides of the browser. Much nicer browsing experience. Don't know if it would stop ads embedded in movies, but it's free and worth getting anyway.Also try Ghostery. It displays all tracking devices and allows them to be blocked individually. For instance, "Google Analytics" is tracking us on this website.Occasionally Ghostery will stop comments from being displayed on some forums and that is important sometimes. I unblock it if necessary.Note that if everyone used adblock and ghostery, Google would lose money on their main source of income, which is ads. They would have to start charging for things. Or diversify, or block people who use adblock.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 am

@Keg, Google is already doing this with Youtube, they bought Youtube some years ago and then started throwing ads in everywhere to generate revenue then people started getting wise and began using Ad Blockers and now Google has decided since their profit margin from ad views has dropped to nothing they are going to offer an add free version of the service for a subscription fee of course and the channels that participate in the subscription program will give out free-be prizes and such as incentives.Google also plans to stop allowing 1080P full HD streams on the free version of the service that resolution will only be available to paid subscribers.They are basically punishing the free service users by downgrading our content resolution, blocking entire channels and even loading even more ads into the streams which has already started.One out of every two videos that I watch now has ten ad's spread out through the video so you get to watch two seconds of actual content and then spend three minutes watching a stupid ad if you don't have the ad blocker installed..
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:58 am

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 beta users have just recently had a Windows update auto installed back in Feb that says its for Telemetry purposes and is only used if you chose to participate in the Windows User Experience program which sends back anonymous usage statistics to Microsoft to better help them understand what issues the users are having and how best to upgrade future installments of Windows and its third party components.The issue here is some users have reported seeing the Telemetry gathering software running in System Processes even though they are not participating in the anonymous data gathering program which has brought up the question why is the Telemetry software still running even though its not supposed to be.There are many answers out there but the most popular is that Microsoft is secretly or in this case not so secretly using an otherwise innocuous usage statistic software to spy on its own users.Those who are still using the now unsupported Windows XP and Windows 2000 don't have to worry about this because the update that had this little surprise in it only works on the latest Operating Systems starting with Windows 7.I have Windows 7 on my laptop and received the update in question and never saw the suspicious Run Telemetry entry in my System Services panel and check the list on a daily basis just to keep tabs of my RAM and CPU usage, I'm trying to get my RAM and CPU usage as low as possible so I've been doing a lot of work on this old lap top to pinpoint the issues that are causing the high usage problems to begin with and I'm now very close to having the system setup like I want it, bare bones accept for my Security software, browsers and other vital essentials. Windows 7 just lost Mainstream support from Microsoft back in January but is scheduled to still receive security updates and patches until 2020.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 am

!News Update!Microsoft just released a statement saying that Windows 10 will be the last Windows OS (Operating System) ever they are ending the Windows OS upgrade program in favor of doing minor updates to Windows 10 which will include GUI/UI (Graphical User Interface/User Interface) upgrades, system security patches and other trivial updates/upgrades to fine tune or tweak the OS to make it better.This is the same idea behind the Xbox-360 and XBOX-0NE dashboards which are nothing more than GUI's built into the OS of each console, every so often they release a patch that updates the way the GUI looks and functions to keep it evolving in an ever more modernized look this same patch and update system will be implemented on Windows 10 so there wont be a new Windows ever again the Windows OS will likely fall to the back of an ever increasingly competitive design race until it is completely forgotten and we have all moved onto the next big thing.
#Autism Speaks.