Burts Bee's product review.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:06 am

I just got a bottle of Burt's Bee's Naturally Nourishing Milk and Honey body lotion, its the pump version not the squeeze tube and this stuff is awesome.I tend to go barefoot a lot being from the south its kind of a year round thing we don't wear shoes very often just because its a part of the culture and because its just more comfortable than constantly being in shoes.Anyway my feet tend to stay a little more on the dry side because like I said I don't wear shoes very often so I've been looking for a product that can be used to maintain and control my dry skin issue but doesn't have a girly scent and doesn't leave a greasy after feeling and so far I've found two products that I really like Vaselines Men's Intense Moisture control it has a pleasant masculine scent it actually smells like an aftershave lotion and can double as that if you want it to.The Burt's Bee's product has a nice smell to it very earthy and it leaves the skin feeling hydrated and refreshed.I payed three dollars for my bottle because I got it on discount but it usually retails for around ten or so depending on your area but is so worth it.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Keg

Post by Keg » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Yup, I learned the hard way - if I walk barefoot on a carpet long enough, it dries my heels out and a huge crack develops. It looks like something is seriously wrong but its fixed with a thick moisturizer like the one you're talking about. The real fix is to wear socks and shoes though.Women seem to know things like this but guys no.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 am

You can only get it in a few shops around here and its $$. I have a stone I use on my feet then slap lotion on them keeps my nice and soft

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 am

@Laurie, yeah I went out and bought a pumice stone for a dollar and some change and that helped but I needed something to help keep the dry skin from coming back that could be used on a daily basis and found the two products that I mentioned earlier.lolI'm very concerned with proper foot care because I am still overweight by about twenty lbs though I've lost nearly thirty over the last year and being overweight causes tissue damage to your hands and feet and more-so to the feet because they bare the brunt of our weight distribution so I have to keep a close eye on mine to keep them healthy.My mother is a diabetic and I got a form of diabetes called Hypoglycemia from my dads side of the family so I'm at double the risk for limb loss unfortunately and the feet are the first things to go in a lot of diabetics because they don't care for them properly ie they let their heels get overly dried out and cracked which then in turn allows an infection to creep in which can quickly cause the loss of the effected foot.My mother being a nurse I learned a long time ago that when you have this disease you have to take extra precautions to keep your body healthy.This is one reason why I'm trying so hard to loose the last twenty lbs I need to get off, my target weight is 170lbs because of my short frame it looks good on me I look healthy but not too skinny like I'm sickly.I have used a variety of products specifically meant for the feet, Heel to Toe's Heeltastic balm, Heel to Toes hydrating foot cream, Gold Bonds Foot Cream, Utterly Smooth healing cream, Cereva ultimate healing and Kerasal's Foot Softening cream.None of the above mentioned actually worked well if at all and a few of them were seriously expensive.There is one key ingredient you want to look for that does all the work on the tougher thicker skin of the feet and that's a chemical called Urea its an acid that is normally found in your own sweat which is why when you wear socks and shoes for a long time and them take them off your feet tend to feel very soft, you can get the same effect from a good cream or lotion that contains at least twenty percent Urea.I've done a ton of homework on the subject seeing as how tried so many products that claimed to be specifically meant for the feet and yet got no real results and then it hit me none of them even contained a trace amount of Urea which is why they were infective.The only downside of using a lotion or cream with a decent amount of Urea in it is that this ingredient makes the final productive pretty expensive to use but if it works its worth it.I've also used the Pedi-Egg, got one for Christmas a few years ago and it works okay but isn't worth the ten dollars it costs.One of the biggest reasons I tend to go barefoot a lot is we have several small dogs that live in the house and you wont believe how many pairs of socks you'll go through because of stepping in some kind of mess or other they made.lolWe keep the house clean but having four small indoor dogs makes it an uphill battle that is for sure.What I have been doing for several years is I use a plastic tub, fill it with water as hot as I can stand mix in one cup of epsom salt, three drops of tea tree oil for its natural antimicrobial benefits and add two drops of peppermint extract and then soak my feet for ten to fifteen minutes.I then use the pumice stone to exfoliate the dead skin cells and then dry my feet off and apply a lotion of my choice lately it has been the Men's Vaseline because it contains something like ten percent Urea so it works well at keeping the skin soft and smooth for a long period of time.I do this once or twice a month and then apply the lotion throughout the week as needed which hasn't been too often and I'm all good.Like I said before I have to do this for medical reasons but I would be amiss if I didn't add that I also like to do this semi at home pedicure because it just feels good.lolI know men can get professional pedicures at the nail salons but I don't trust the sterility of the equipment that the salons use, FYI the wash basins they have you stick your feet in never get completely cleaned because the way the units work most of the old hair and dead skin cells from past clients wind up getting trapped in the drains of these basins and never gets cleaned out so you then end up sticking your feet in a lot of other peoples gunk which leads to infections not to mention the fact that a lot of different strands of harmful bacteria and fungi like to hang out in the piping for these wash basins and then end up being recirculated back into the water being used because these units never get back flushed like they are supposed to.Then there's the issue of improperly sterilized manicuring equipment like nail clippers and such even if they look like they are coming out of a never before opened sterile pack there's no guarantee that the technician isn't reusing old equipment so I just prefer to do my own at home, it may not look as good as a professional mani/pedi but its a lot safer.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:19 pm

@Laurie, I forgot to mention that Petroleum Jelly also works well but you have to put in on just before you go to bed at night then cover with some socks and let it soak in overnight, in the morning it will have seeped into the skin working its magic.I've done this before because the petroleum jelly is so cheap but its very messy and you really can't do much walking around once you've put it on.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 am

I have used the p.j. method to, I have found the more water you drink and keep hydrated you lose weight and you skin is better. If your eating /drinking sugar / fake to cut them out and you will drop weight, if you can go walk for a bit Just get and move you lose. I like Leslie sansone on YouTube she does 1-2 3 and longer mile walks basic moves sand same moves repeated not like others where you are saying wait!!! I'm not done doing that step yet..1 mile walk is 20 minutes. She says if you can't do something modify it to fit you. I was down to 179 now I have went back to 188. My problem is junk food it gets bought then I end up eating it. Thinking I will clean and walking it off the next day..I need to stop doing that. I got a good 're start I had the flu bug and been going to the bathroom every half hr! I had to of lost at least lost 3 pounds of liquids and only ate 2 jellos, 2 bake chicken legs and lots of water and as soon as it went in it came out..Lol can't wait to see how much I have lost. I did see something on the news today about Epsom salts and other things about soothing muscles , it doesn't do anything it's a mind game. They say you skin is a protective , I don't get..Then why is it you are told not to get other stuff on your skin cause it can seep in your skin causing liver damage?? Hmmmm food for thought

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:38 am

@Laurie, I've done the walking thing we have a nice area to walk in my subdivision but my problem is the hypoglycemia it prevents me from doing a whole lot at once so I can't walk the entire neighborhood but I can do around our end where the cul-de-sac is which is a good walk it takes between five to ten minutes to do.Since I can't afford the meds to treat my hypoglycemia I have to use other things like sweets to control it which has only helped to keep my weight high, I have started using glucose tablets instead trying to give myself a break from the sweets and since I've been using the tablets I've been able to shed some weight.I try to drink as much water throughout the day as I can though the exact amount varies from day to day.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:11 am

Ever ask your pharmacist if they had one of those things you fill out if you can't afford your pills. For some reason my friend has insurance but her lyrica would cost her 88$ for month. They told her to fill out this paper now she pays 25$' I have insurance I was paying 25$ but mine jumped to 32$! No generic brands for it but yet generic went lower. Reminds me I need to take my meds. I did lose 4 lbs. And still having issues. Was told to take Imodium for a few days , also when they removed breathing tube when I had surgery I think they scratched my esophagus. They said you would have a sore throat for a few days, that has been weeks now. I'm having burning acid reflux shooting up my throat stopping right there. So they told me try nexium over the counter. Man I forgot you have to eat SOMETHING w that. We're a mess.. You and your feet , me and my rolling guts..

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:05 am

@Laurie, I have checked into trying to get a discount on the hypoglycemia meds and even got two different discount cards was lead to believe that between the two discount cards the meds would be free but nope because its a higher priced med it doesn't qualify on either one of the cards and the pharmacy tried finding a generic that would have been discount eligible but there are none for the particular one my doctor wanted me to get.The meds are $900 without insurance and about $25 with insurance but I cant get insurance because I don't have any income and the state wont help me with free insurance because of my age and gender.I went and tried to apply for Obama-Care and was only able to qualify for a very limited plan that had a weekly premium of $90 a week apparently due to my disabilities and lack of employment thats the cheapest they could go so they directed me to my state Medicaid/Medicare market and I got denied for that because of my age and gender, the state actually said the only way I could qualify would be to either go get a sex change or be a woman who is either pregnant or has small children so I don't have any options for getting insured and my mother found out when she went and filed her taxes that she is responsible for paying my tax penalty for not having insurance because I live in her house, she was able to get out of the penalty on me by claiming me as an adult dependent due to my disabilities.I'm still looking for work but nothing has come up that I'm even remotely eligible for because all of the jobs that have been found for my by my job hunting agency have all been RN, LPN, CDL and other license required jobs.I'm also still waiting on my disability attorney we are waiting to get a court date to go before a judge to hear our case..
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am

@Laurie & crabberI also like the leslie sansone videos and was also doing the one mile, but I tried to get on you tube about 2 months ago and couldn't get any of her videos to come up. I think they had copyright trouble or something. Are you able to get on them now? I guess I could look myself. Try honey and peanut butter instead of super sugary stuff for your glucose.Also try a homemade scrub for your feet with something like salt or sugar, honey, almond or other oil. Rub in good and rinse off. The sugar and salt remove dead skin.I was doing real good and not gaining any weight the first few months of my pregnancy. January I gained like maybe a half pound and the same for December. The end of Febuary though I had gained 6 pounds so the doc said to make sure I watch and don't continue to gain too much at once. So I was/am pretty bummed about that. This coming Monday I have another check up so with any luck I won't have gained much a pound or 2 would be ok but not another 6. I have been to chicken to get on my scales at home and see what they say but I may do that tonight just to see.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:12 pm

@jenok, I do the salt scrub from time to time, I found a recipe online to make my own and its pretty easy all you need is some sea salt that is semi-fine in texture, either coconut or extra virgin olive oil and something like vanilla or peppermint extract to give the mix a pleasant smell and your good to go.The ingredients can be a bit pricy but you still save in comparison to what you would spend on a prepackaged salt or sugar scrub.I also stumbled upon a diy at home hair prevention mix that just uses a table spoon of coffee grounds and one tea spoon of baking soda powder apparently the caffeine in the coffee grounds deactivates the hair follicles causing the hair to die and never come back again the baking soda powder just acts as a mild exfoliate and helps to open the follicles up better so that more of the caffeine can get in.You have to do this treatment several times over the course of a couple of months but in the end the follicles will become so overloaded with the caffeine that they just die.I've yet to try this method myself the skin on my face is very sensitive and this mix will cause a mild reaction the first couple of times you use it and I don't relish the thought of having my face broken out.lolApparently you can use this mix anywhere on your body you don't want hair, its supposedly a traditional Indian(India)holistic remedy according to the sparse information on it out there on the web.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am

quote:Originally posted by Crabber85:@jenok, pricy but you still save in comparison to what I also stumbled upon a diy at home hair prevention mix that just uses a table spoon of coffee grounds and one tea spoon of baking soda powder apparently the caffeine in the coffee grounds deactivates the hair follicles causing the hair to die and never come back again the baking soda powder just acts as a mild exfoliate and helps to open the follicles up better so that more of the caffeine can get in.You have to do this treatment several times over the course of a couple of months but in the end the follicles will become so overloaded with the caffeine that they just die. Would you list exactly how to do that I might want to give it a try.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 am

@jenok, sure I can list the steps.First you take a tablespoon of coffee grounds put that in a bowl then add one teaspoon of baking soda powder to the coffee grounds and mix thoroughly then scoop a small amount out in the palm of your hand and apply to the area you want to remove the unwanted hair from.It helps to rub in circular motions so that the baking soda powder can exfoliate the skin, you have do this once in the morning and once at night before you got to bed making sure to wash off the excess.After a period of four weeks you should start to notice a marked reduction in the visible hair and after two months the hair should be completely gone.Like I said before this mix does cause a bit of irritation to the skin so don't rub it in too forcefully or you'll just irritate your skin even more.This is all based on some very limited information as to why and how the mix works apparently somebody stumbled upon it and then posted about it after they tried it.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 am

So 2x a day everyday for 2 months? I don't know if I could remember to do it that often.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:12 am

@jenok, I just did some more in-depth research into the subject and it turns out this was originally posted on Pintrest as a hoax and it just spread around the web, unfortunately after looking at all of the actual facts caffeine does the exact opposite of what was reported in the hoax it actually stimulates hair growth which is the exact opposite of what one would want in a hair removal recipe.Baking soda does have some negative impacts on the hair follicles because of the high PH levels it actually serves to disrupt or even damage the follicles so one might be able to use that on its own but the results are varying and according to the information I just saw only has to be done once a day for seven days you just rub in one teaspoon of the baking soda powder where you don't want hair and it will begin to disrupt the follicle as it damages it.Based on what I've read so far you have to repeat this process a few times to completely kill the follicles it also kills the hair at the root by disrupting the hairs natural PH level.
#Autism Speaks.