Vegetarians/Vegans

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
CollegeCrabber

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by CollegeCrabber » Sat May 09, 2015 3:55 am

I'm transitioning to a vegetarian diet. Just wondering if any other members here are vegetarians or vegans.

Laurie LeAnn

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat May 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Sorry..I would miss my med rare steaks. Pilgrims chicken nuggets from Wal-Mart. I eat to much salad stuff and I have bad things happen. I have had tofu and ick, yogurt ick, did a veggie burger and ick.. I'm a meat eater..cow, chicken, pig.. more power to you though

Crabber85

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by Crabber85 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 am

@CollegeCrabber, I'm what most consider to be a Semi-Vegetarian I only eat vegetables, fruit, chicken and fish.I can't stand the way pork or beef smells or tastes it all has a musty weird odor to it which is such a turn off.lolI've not gone the full Vegan route because you just can't get the same level of nutrition from eating only plant matter even if your supplementing with vitamins your still going to be missing out on a lot of key nutrients that you need and the sad fact is the human body can only absorb so much of the synthetic chemicals used in vitamin supplements which makes them a pretty costly waste in most cases.I've done the research and I know that eating green improves your overall health and well being but you still need a source of protein in your diet on a daily basis you can supplement raw or organic peanut butter as one of your protein sources but one serving about a table spoon in size is still only going to give you one third the protein that you'd be getting from a serving a fish.My suggestion is do as much research as possible and try to find as many heavy hitting alternatives to keep your daily intake up where it needs to be.I know a couple of people who tried to go full vegan and got really sick because their bodies rejected the new diet so for some going green just doesn't work, give it a shot and see how your body handles it but take it slow give yourself time to acclimate.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun May 10, 2015 3:03 pm

I tried organic peanut butter since I buy it for the crabs. It was lacking in flavor. Went out for mothers day..Yes I had my med rare steak.oooozing with blood / juices lol...but I had broccoli and a baked potatoe w it...if I don't get enough protein I get to feeling off..there are some times where life gets hectic and its grab this or that then I get to being shaken and feeling off. I need MEAT..THEN REST and I'm good to go..

Topic author
CollegeCrabber

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by CollegeCrabber » Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 pm

quote:Originally posted by Crabber85:@CollegeCrabber, I'm what most consider to be a Semi-Vegetarian I only eat vegetables, fruit, chicken and fish.I can't stand the way pork or beef smells or tastes it all has a musty weird odor to it which is such a turn off.lolI've not gone the full Vegan route because you just can't get the same level of nutrition from eating only plant matter even if your supplementing with vitamins your still going to be missing out on a lot of key nutrients that you need and the sad fact is the human body can only absorb so much of the synthetic chemicals used in vitamin supplements which makes them a pretty costly waste in most cases.I've done the research and I know that eating green improves your overall health and well being but you still need a source of protein in your diet on a daily basis you can supplement raw or organic peanut butter as one of your protein sources but one serving about a table spoon in size is still only going to give you one third the protein that you'd be getting from a serving a fish.My suggestion is do as much research as possible and try to find as many heavy hitting alternatives to keep your daily intake up where it needs to be.I know a couple of people who tried to go full vegan and got really sick because their bodies rejected the new diet so for some going green just doesn't work, give it a shot and see how your body handles it but take it slow give yourself time to acclimate. Thanks for the advice. I actually got a really cool book from Amazon called "No Meat Athlete" that I think will be really helpful. I definitely need to make sure I'm getting enough protein because I run cross country and track for my college, but there are a lot of ideas in the book for that, and I love things with protein like eggs, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, etc - so I'm not too concerned. I'm also taking it slow: giving up beef and pork before chicken and fish.

Crabber85

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by Crabber85 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:47 pm

@CollegeCrabber, yeah there's a lot of good alternatives to meat out there you just have to know what to look for.lolI'm a huge nut eater I love almonds, peanuts, pecans and cashews I fell in love with them about fifteen years ago when I began lifting weights in school I had to bulk up I was so underweight that I was sickly so instead of using the protein powders and such I just used healthy alternatives and nuts were one of them and I ended up gaining about twenty pounds in solid muscle going from ninety lbs to one hundred and ten in less than six months.I stopped lifting weights when the arthritis set in in my hands and joints, turns out the repetitive lifting was actually doing irreparable damage to my ligaments, tendons and bones and now I can barely clinch my fists without having excruciating pain, the fluid in my knuckles has dried out so its just bone grating against bone now and its really painful.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

moonwatcher

Re: Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by moonwatcher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 am

Nice to meet another Veggie! I don't eat meat, fish, eggs or seafood. I'm not vegan because I do eat cheese and milk products. My philosophy is "if it has eyes, I don't eat it" :hlol: Been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Just eat a healthy balance and you will be fine. Lots of fruits and veggies and beans and nuts. There is a book and website called "Forks over Knives" A whole fire department ( hunky muscle men-LOL) changed to a plant based diet and are so much healthier and they share recipes and stories.

hermie2013

Post by hermie2013 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:55 am

I am a vegetarian! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

moonwatcher

Post by moonwatcher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 am

:banana: :cheer: :banana:

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:45 pm

moonwatcher wrote:My philosophy is "if it has eyes, I don't eat it" :hlol:
So no potatoes for you? :wink:
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:21 am

I'm in the same camp as Crabber85: mainly fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, eggs, whole grains. I will eat the occasional chicken breast (roasted one for Thanksgiving) and do love salmon and sardines but no beef, pork, lamb, veal. Frankly, I've never liked the taste or texture of "red" meats; this was a considered a real sacrilege in my Ukrainian family where pigs feet, ox tails, tongue and "everything but the squeal" was consumed so I was immensely grateful when my grandmother finally let me start preparing my own meatless meals in my late teens. Going with more of a Mediterranean slant, I get more than enough protein from other sources so nothing is really missing from my diet. I do draw the line at tofu, though -- I've tried to like it and have prepared it in many ways over the years but I just can't add it to my diet on a regular basis!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:25 pm

@Collegecrabber I am a vegetarian/practectely vegan for almost 21 years now. The only thing that stops me from being vegan is I do love cheese, and I do eat eggs if they are baked into something. I prefer vegetarian/cage free eggs. I do believe it is a much healthier lifestyle. I do not push my believes or lifestyle on others. To each's own! I am the only one in my family that lives this lifestyle. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com