Flea Control

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
avic

Flea Control

Post by avic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 am

Whats the best Cat flea control out there?

Topic author
Dawn38

Flea Control

Post by Dawn38 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:20 am

My mom uses Frontline on her two cats. Although it didn't work very well this last time. At least on Sarafina, the white one.Dawn

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 pm

We always used Program - it's the type you put in their food once a month. I have no idea what it does to their livers, probably nothing good, but it works well as far as controlling fleas is concerned. We never had fleas in the house, and rarely had ticks.

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 pm

frontline plus

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Unfortunately, any chemically-based flea control product on the market will be harmful in some way - there are natural flea control products out there, but we didn't know much about them when we had cats. When we researched flea control, it was a toss up between an ingested medicine that could do liver damage, or a topical medicine that could do skin damage (and possibly more) and also make the cats dangerous to have around the children for a day or two after it was applied. It was choosing the lesser of two evils, really.Now I feel that I just don't want animals that go in and out of the house. I'll take pets that stay indoors or stay outdoors, but not both. Less to worry about...

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:52 pm

quote:Originally posted by dellermama:it was a toss up between an ingested medicine that could do liver damage, or a topical medicine that could do skin damage (and possibly more) i think skin damage would be less worrisome of the two. since the liver is vital to an animal's digestive system, i'd hate to mess with that. that's just how i feel, but your reasons make enough sense that i won't say your choice of flea treatment is a wrong one. i met a veterinarian at a pet show once who was marketting a natural flea repellent product because he undoubtably believed that topical flea treatments caused cancer. if this was true, i'm sure i'd hear more about it on the online lj communities, because i know a bunch of nuts [and i mean nuts in a good way <!--graemlin] that wouldn't dare use any product that they thought would be hermful to their pets.

Topic author
Froggz37

Flea Control

Post by Froggz37 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Lemongrass, citronella, and Cedarwood essential oils have always worked for me, even around my and my mom's parrots. www.mountainroseherbs.com has some neat stuff for flea control thats premixed.

Topic author
motley crew

Flea Control

Post by motley crew » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:05 am

My aunt had never had a problem with fleas and she's aways had dogs 2 or more last summer I asked how what she said was so simple it made me laugh but works really well.Garlic pills what she said was that fleas are like vampiers they just attach themselves too a good supply so taint the blood and they won't like the taste and no harmful effects to the animal.Give it a try

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:48 am

I use Revolution. It's a little more expensive but seems to work the best for me. I have tried garlic and it didn't work. My cat has flea allergies and loses his hair when there's even one flea on him. He doesn't go outside but we drag them in with us every now and then.Revolution also takes care of ear mites and several different types of worms. It's also safe for my rats and rabbits. I wish I could find something completely non-toxic that works but I haven't yet.

Topic author
Willow

Flea Control

Post by Willow » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:50 pm

A lot of natural flea control is fine for dogs, but toxic to cats. I think garlic, citronella, lemongrass and cedarwood are some of them, but I'm not positive. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too lazy right now. Anyway, cats have sensitive kidneys, and a lot of things are toxic to them that are fine for dogs. Be sure to research thoroughly before using anything on your pet.After a lot of research, I decided on Frontline for my pets. It's the safest and most effective I could find. There's no point in spreading some junk all over your cat or your house if it's not effective. I use it on my ferrets, too, although this is off-label use. You also have to be sure that the product gets on the pet's skin, not just on the fur, or it won't work. Advantage is also safe, but doesn't kill ticks, and sometimes the dogs bring in ticks. Program is safe, too, but it doesn't kill the fleas, only prevents the eggs from developing, and that's not enough for a multi-pet household like mine. I did use Revolution once, because of an ear-mite outbreak, but I won't use it long-term; the multi-use of it gives me concern---I don't want to treat unnecessarily for something my pets don't have. OTC flea products (the kind you get at grocery stores--flea collars, spot-ons, sprays, etc.) are not safe; some brands have even been recalled because some pets died. Permethrin and pyrethrin are somewhat toxic to cats, and can cause problems.And NEVER, NEVER use a dog flea product on cats. It will kill them!

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Flea Control

Post by tnyfootprntz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:01 am

Well I'm now dealing with a flea population explosion on my indoor cat, who escaped the house a couple times in Jan. & Feb. Back then I saw one or two fleas and decided it wasn't worth worrying too much about...now I wish I had nipped it in the bud. I picked up a pack of Zodiac Spot On Plus at Walmart, I don't think it's any good but that's all they had. I gave her a bath first (that was fun) in some cat flea shampoo. It didn't kill anything, because you're supposed to let the lather remain on cat for five minutes (like that's gonna happen). But the best thing I purchased was a flea comb. I've been getting lots of fleas and flea dirt off her this way, and dunking them into hot soapy water to kill them. This has turned into my newest hobby .

Topic author

Flea Control

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:23 am

over the counter topical flea meds are garbage, and some brands have been known to cause seisures in their cat [hartz, specifically]. while flea combs can work, the most effective thing i've ever seen was the medications you buy from the vet: frontline plus, revolution, advantix, ect. i've seen a cat completely infested with fleas and ****ed so dry it was ridiculous. one treatment of frontline, and the fleas were falling off like crazy. in 2 days they were all gone. had his owner neglected to bring his cat in to out clinic, the cat probably would have died.so go to your vet and pick up a box of whatever they recommend.you can also buy frontline at: www.drsfostersmith.com

Topic author
motley crew

Flea Control

Post by motley crew » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:25 am

quote:I use Revolution. It's a little more expensive but seems to work the best for me. I have tried garlic and it didn't work. Revolution gave my dog sizures. I went to there web site and it has some of the worst death rates that are never reported. Please look it up and really take your time to reseach what your using they are all bad in the sense that the compound is meant to attack the nervous system of a bug what do you think they do to your animal?The vets get paid to sell that stuff, but a 700.00 hospital stay will get you too start looking at all the nasty stuff they do and a very sick 7 month old puppy.My new vet would never use anything like that. He does a lot of reseach and tells you about it before he ever even has it in his office just take the time before you just believe whatever they tell you. Thats all I'm saying I hope I didn't offend you this is just my opinion.

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Flea Control

Post by tnyfootprntz » Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 am

Just got back from my cat's new vet. She recommended the Frontline Plus for cats, and confirmed what others here have stated about the over-the-counter junk. Of course, since I did put that junk on China Doll the other day (before reading this thread completely), I must wash it off her and wait about a week before using the Frontline. Doh! This was China D's first trip to vet (with me) since I adopted her a year ago. She got her shots up to date and her claws trimmed. She weighed in at 5.9 lbs., my dainty little girl! The vet and assistant did a very good job handling her, considering how feisty she can be, so it was not too stressful for either of us.